Menu

I just finished reading Jane Eyre...anyone want to discuss it?

I'm one of those people who needs to talk about heavy books when I'm done with them, and since no one I know in real life reads books like this, I have to come here for a book discussion.

I really, really liked this book. Thanks to all who recommended that I give it another go. PariSarah, try again. It does have places where you have to slog through, but the reward is worth it in the end.

I re-read it maybe a year ago, after having read it a few times in highschool and college, I loved it then, too. I walked away this time loving it-and seeing in it different things. This time I admired her determination to do what was right unto the Lord.

Yes, I got that too this time, althought it was never something I thought about the first time through. Also, a poster had made a comment about using the book as a discussion piece with her teen daughter about what sort of man one would fall in love with and marry. I admired Jane for marrying for love, instead of money, title, family, or even for God's work, when she knew she couldn't be all that God intended for her even if she married a missionary, because he didn't love her.

Now, as for her falling in love with and marrying a man who kept his lunatic wife locked in the top floor of his home, well, it was portrayed in such a way that the man was severely deceived, the woman was particularly violent, and they didn't marry until after she had died. However, it is quite distasteful to know that he had her confined like that; but I guess during that time period there was a lack of knowledge about the mentally impaired, where as now there are medicines and therapies that can help those with psychological disorders, and we would never think of locking someone up in an upper room because of them. I'm sure that during the time period that divorce was forbidden, or I'm certain Mr. Rochester would have put away his wife and compelled all of his and her family both to remain quiet on the subject.

I love how she marries for love, but also refuses to succumb to her emotions and live in an immoral situation.

As for locking the lunatic wife up--in those days, this would be considered a charitable solution. And honestly, there *are* people, even these days, that end up with a very limited existence due to mental disorders and violent behavior.

Not that I am comfortable with imprisoning the mentally ill--just wanted to point out the Victorian mindset, and that they would have viewed Rochester's choices for his wife differently than we do.

I'm considering a second stab at Wuthering Heights...do I dare?

Yes, give it another try. Dark storyline, but so well-written.

I read Jan Eyre for the first time last year. I loved it. It's definitely among my favorites. I loved her whole spiritual journey and her faithfulness to do what was right, regardless of her feelings. And what a strong personality she had too! To be so reverent at times, but still be feisty at the same time is a remarkable personality. I loved it! :)

My mom hated Jane Eyre. I gave it to her to read over the summer and she didn't even finish it. I still tell her I can't believe it. But she said it was on PBS not too long ago so she watched it and loved it.

I've never heard of, much less read Villette. I guess I'll have to look into that.

So glad you liked it, Mrs. H!

Perhaps the Brontes were just out of my league when I was a teenager. After all, not many 16yr. olds have experienced true love, deep loss, spiritual torment, or many of the darker experiences that adult life often has waiting for us. I have a greater appreciation for those who have loved and lost, been disappointed by loved ones, lost children, or parents, and felt helpless and hopeless, and all this in only 12 years. I wonder what this book will bring to me after 12 more years of living.

I have always thought that Mr. Rochester's keeping his wife at home, although locked up, what a kind act compared to what asylums were like then, dirty, filthy, horrible lack of care...abuse. It would have been easier for him to have her shipped off and forget all about her.

Sarah, you didn't care for Jane Eyre? I am all astonishment!

What?! It was eleventh grade, okay? I devoured Chaucer, Austen, and Dickens, and I even choked down a bit of Hardy. I just couldn't stomach either of the Brontes.

I promise, JE is second on my "Give it another try someday" list, right after Kant.

Little Women, on the other hand, . . .

What?! It was eleventh grade, okay?

Well, okay. I didn't know when you read it. My preferences now are in many cases so different from my preferences 20 years ago, although I may very well have enjoyed Jane Eyre at that age. In general, though, I don't think of the Brontes' work as high school fare. I do consider Jane Eyre to be an extremely well-written book so regardless of one's response to the plot and characters, it's worth a read. I can't do Kant.;)

Now you're ready for The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde. It's a nice, light read after Jane Eyre.

Sigh . . . I wish you people would stop recommending books. I just logged off my library website, now I HAVE to go back and order another boo. . . poor me :p

I read it when I was in my late teens, and did enjoy it then. I saw part of it when it was on PBS a few weeks ago, and am planning on reading it again soon.

I read it in high school as well. I enjoyed it. Did not like Wuthering Heights nearly as much (actually, I thought it was very strange!) But I liked Jane. Will have to read again. :)

I loved her whole spiritual journey and her faithfulness to do what was right, regardless of her feelings. And what a strong personality she had too! To be so reverent at times, but still be feisty at the same time is a remarkable personality. I loved it! :)

You summed up very well what I love about the book. I admire a character who will do the moral thing even when it goes against her feelings. I love how Bronte makes you really feel that tension of wanting one thing and doing another. It is a contrast to Anna Karenina where she makes the choice to follow her feelings rather than what she knows to be right.

I will have to reserve Vilette now, and I'm considering a second stab at Wuthering Heights...do I dare?

After reading the thread Colleen started by mentioning where Heath "What's His Name" (I was not a big fan) might have been named after Mr. Heathcliff, I opted out of reading WH. You'll have to let me know if it was worth it.

But I did love Jane Eyre. I regards to Mr. Rochester keeping a wife hidden and trying to decieve Jane, did he not say towards the end that he had to pass through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, that God's chastisements are mighty and that he was humbed forever? Adding that He said that he began to see the hand of God in his doom, that he experienced remorse, repentence and the wish for reconcilliation to his Maker.

I saw it as a story of one who suffered to follow virtue instead of her passons and of a story of God's forgiveness of our sin. I hope to read this again with my daughters when they are of age. I loved it.

What?! It was eleventh grade, okay? I devoured Chaucer, Austen, and Dickens, and I even choked down a bit of Hardy. I just couldn't stomach either of the Brontes.

I promise, JE is second on my "Give it another try someday" list, right after Kant.

Little Women, on the other hand, . . .

Are you saying Little Women is NOT a favorite?

I loved Wuthering Heights the absolute best, Jane Eyre was a close second, and I can never finish Little Women. Shows my love with the dark intricacies of the human soul (with redemption, of course).

I do think once you've read Jane it's worth listening to the soundtrack of the Broadway show version. And treat yourself to the latest Masterpiece Theatre version, though some people think it's a little too steamy (but she doesn't succumb, so it's totally worth it! I can feel her pain when she peels herself off the bed!).

I have always thought that Mr. Rochester's keeping his wife at home, although locked up, what a kind act compared to what asylums were like then, dirty, filthy, horrible lack of care...abuse. It would have been easier for him to have her shipped off and forget all about her.

That's what I think as well. Horrid by today's standards but probably the best thing he could do at the time.

I LOVED this book as a teen and read it several times.

I think I'm due to read it again. :)

The question I have about British lit set in this time period...Is it just me, or are most of the women a bunch of shallow airheads? Did the authors create these characters as ninnies so that the great qualities of the main female character really shine through? Or were the majority of women just that way back then?

Just an observation I've had as I've read books by Bronte and Austen, which I love by the way!

Kim

It isn't much different than today, is it? My dh tells me all the time that I'm the only woman he knows that has brains, and all the women he works with (secretaries, paralegals, etc.) don't have an original thought in their heads about anything.

I think that society then (and now) was so wrapped up in society...going to parties, having dinners and balls, buying clothes, playing cards, knowing the right people, vacationing in the right places, that people in general who read or were well-educated were rare and odd. Even the men in these books (especially the young, dashing gentelmen) were a bit air headed and frivolous.

Is it so different than attending an event today where there are a great number of adults to converse with, and yet the topics of conversation never stray from television, sports, leisurely activities (I've personally watched men talk about hunting for hours!), the best schools, gossip about others (especially those not in attendance), and where such and such is vacationing this year? It has been almost two years since I attended a dinner where I actually discussed literature with a dining companion. Sad but true.