Menu

What do you use for Bible/character building during the middle school years?

My dd has loved the R&S Bible series from grades 5-8. It's a basic survey of the entire Bible in 4 years (without some of the more mature part,s of the OT like Song of Solomon & Leviticus). She has memorized a lot of scripture and really matured in her spiritual walk.

HTH,

Jennifer

For reading the Bible and understanding it in context, Victor Journey through the Bible is fabulous. If you spread one lesson out for a week it will last you a couple school years.

For more of a "this is what we believe" approach, Training Hearts, Teaching Minds is a great way to do a catechism study with your family.

My logic stage kids are working through Victor Journey on their own, and we do catechism as a family. For VJ they read the assigned verses one day, read from the text the next, work on parts of that particular lesson deeper for two days (draw a diagram of the temple, look up additional verses in a box, and such), and the last day they write about it. If there isn't much from the text to flesh it out they may just copy some of the verses. I've also read VJ aloud to grammar stage kids during ancient history studies.

I'll have to take a look at the Victor Journey through the Bible. That book had caught my eye a number of years ago, but now may be my chance to use it. Thanks.

Lisa

I started another thread specifically asking about SL's Core H bible, but I doubt I will get many responses on that. Maybe the question in my title is a better one?

Lisa

We used Memoria Press' Christian Studies for elementary grades followed by Rod and Staff for grades 5-8. I'm still undecided on what we will use for high school.

I poked my head in this thread.. and I saw this. Although my oldest is not logic stage yet, I know what I'm going to use for character building when he's in logic stage - the book Ourselves, included in the Homeschooling series by Charlotte Mason. I already own it, and it's written to the student/child. Ds is going in 4th next fall, and we're going to be reading The Book of Virtues for Young People together. I will have the stories speak for themselves.

I poked my head in this thread.. and I saw this. Although my oldest is not logic stage yet, I know what I'm going to use for character building when he's in logic stage - the book Ourselves, included in the Homeschooling series by Charlotte Mason. I already own it, and it's written to the student/child. Ds is going in 4th next fall, and we're going to be reading The Book of Virtues for Young People together. I will have the stories speak for themselves.

Thanks! I will take a look at these.

Lisa

We used Memoria Press' Christian Studies for elementary grades followed by Rod and Staff for grades 5-8. I'm still undecided on what we will use for high school.

I always thought I would use Memoria Press' Christian Studies books at some point, but I just haven't found the time in our day to fit those in. I'm going to take a look at R&S, but I suspect I'll have the same problem with that.

I'm wanting to continue on with a short bible/character study time each day with some discussion, but I think the problem I'm having is my kids still love just having me read from the Children's Bible so I've been reluctant to let it go.

Thank you!

Lisa

APPLYING CHRISTIAN PRINCIPLES in everyday life

- Young Peacemaker (conflict resolution through Christian principles)

- Making Brothers & Sisters Best Friends (hmmm... I see a trend here -- LOL!)

- Manners Matter (Hartley) -- not overtly Christian, but certainly a Biblical principle; some very practical information, too!

- Who You Are When No One is Looking (Hybels) -- we did it in high school, but could probably be done by older middle schoolers; it looks it is now also a Bible study

BIBLE STUDY

- Discover 4 Yourself: Children's Bible Studies (Arthur) -- for grades 5-8; the "How To Study Your Bible For Yourself" study and "Lord Teach Me to Pray" study were good

- Quest level of the Explorer's Bible Studies -- for grades 6+

INSPIRATIONAL

Biographies of Christians can be very inspiring; a few we found that were well written and for an upper middle school to adult level:

- The Hiding Place (tenBoom)

- Brutchko (Olson)

- God's Smuggler (Andrew)

Also, Paul Brand's Fearfully and Wonderfully Made is very inspirational; we did it in high school, but it could be done with older/more mature middle schoolers. I believe there is also a workbook and/or study guide to go with this.

WORLDVIEW (8th grade/early high school):

- How to Be Your Own Selfish Pig (Macauley) -- great, gentle intro into worldviews and comparison with Christian worldview

WORSHIP

- we went through 101 Hymn Stories over several years, taking 1-2 weeks per hymn -- read from the book; finding a cyber hymnal, youtube or other online music version of the hymn and would sing it each morning as part of our worship time; talk about the theology within the lyrics, etc.

Edited by Lori D.

I always thought I would use Memoria Press' Christian Studies books at some point, but I just haven't found the time in our day to fit those in. I'm going to take a look at R&S, but I suspect I'll have the same problem with that.

I'm wanting to continue on with a short bible/character study time each day with some discussion, but I think the problem I'm having is my kids still love just having me read from the Children's Bible so I've been reluctant to let it go.

Thank you!

Lisa

I know I mentioned how much my dd had enjoyed R&S in an earlier post, but since you mentioned the above, I thought I'd share what I've been doing with my ds. We have read through all the Hero Tales (4 volumes) by Dave & Neta Jackson. If you're not familiar with them, they are about many different missionaries and Christians who have had a profound influence around the world. Each missionary is introduced and then followed by 3 stories about them that are based on a character trait. This is followed by a scripture and then discussion questions. Ds and I have enjoyed them so much. Some of the stories are so inspiring that we have gotten teary-eyed. We also follow this with reading a chapter in his Bible and writing down/memorizing verses. (We've been reading through the NT.) Unfortunately, these books are out of print, but you can find them used on amazon.

HTH,

Jennifer

Before we moved we participated in a Community Bible Study. We all loved that. After our move, I looked for something to simulate the experience and found Explorer's Bible Study. This year dd13, ds10 and I have been learning our way through Job, Psalms and Proverbs while dd7 has been enjoying Beginnings 1. Next year dd7 will work on Beginnings 2 while the rest of us study God's Perfect Plan.

I love that the study is complete and allows us to learn together. I also love that we have a daily Bible study time that motivates and challenges me as much as it does them.

I know I mentioned how much my dd had enjoyed R&S in an earlier post, but since you mentioned the above, I thought I'd share what I've been doing with my ds. We have read through all the Hero Tales (4 volumes) by Dave & Neta Jackson. If you're not familiar with them, they are about many different missionaries and Christians who have had a profound influence around the world. Each missionary is introduced and then followed by 3 stories about them that are based on a character trait. This is followed by a scripture and then discussion questions. Ds and I have enjoyed them so much. Some of the stories are so inspiring that we have gotten teary-eyed. We also follow this with reading a chapter in his Bible and writing down/memorizing verses. (We've been reading through the NT.) Unfortunately, these books are out of print, but you can find them used on amazon.

HTH,

Jennifer

Jennifer -

I am familiar with Hero Tales. We use SL and I know we've used at least one volume, if not two of those, but it's been a long time. Another good idea for me to investigate. Thanks for taking the time to share what you are doing.

Lisa

APPLYING CHRISTIAN PRINCIPLES in everyday life

- Young Peacemaker (conflict resolution through Christian principles)

- Making Brothers & Sisters Best Friends (hmmm... I see a trend here -- LOL!)

- Manners Matter (Hartley) -- not overtly Christian, but certainly a Biblical principle; some very practical information, too!

- Who You Are When No One is Looking (Hybels) -- we did it in high school, but could probably be done by older middle schoolers; it looks it is now also a Bible study

BIBLE STUDY

- Discover 4 Yourself: Children's Bible Studies (Arthur) -- for grades 5-8; the "How To Study Your Bible For Yourself" study and "Lord Teach Me to Pray" study were good

- Quest level of the Explorer's Bible Studies -- for grades 6+

INSPIRATIONAL

Biographies of Christians can be very inspiring; a few we found that were well written and for an upper middle school to adult level:

- The Hiding Place (tenBoom)

- Brutchko (Olson)

- God's Smuggler (Andrew)

Also, Paul Brand's Fearfully and Wonderfully Made is very inspirational; we did it in high school, but it could be done with older/more mature middle schoolers. I believe there is also a workbook and/or study guide to go with this.

WORLDVIEW (8th grade/early high school):

- How to Be Your Own Selfish Pig (Macauley) -- great, gentle intro into worldviews and comparison with Christian worldview

WORSHIP

- we went through 101 Hymn Stories over several years, taking 1-2 weeks per hymn -- read from the book; finding a cyber hymnal, youtube or other online music version of the hymn and would sing it each morning as part of our worship time; talk about the theology within the lyrics, etc.

Lori, I feel lucky to get a response from you. You are always such a wealth of information. We have either already read or will be reading the inspirational stories you mentioned through SL and we will be reading more. I do enjoy reading these types with my kids and they are very inspiring.

I think the title that caught my eye the most out of everything you listed is "Who You are When No One is Looking". That is a concept that was very near and dear to me at one point in my life and is something I would like to revisit, especially with my kids.

Thank you!

Lisa

Before we moved we participated in a Community Bible Study. We all loved that. After our move, I looked for something to simulate the experience and found Explorer's Bible Study. This year dd13, ds10 and I have been learning our way through Job, Psalms and Proverbs while dd7 has been enjoying Beginnings 1. Next year dd7 will work on Beginnings 2 while the rest of us study God's Perfect Plan.

I love that the study is complete and allows us to learn together. I also love that we have a daily Bible study time that motivates and challenges me as much as it does them.

Well, I've definitely got my work cut out for me researching all these options. Both you and Lori mentioned this series. I'm hoping to get a closer look at this series as well as some of the other suggestions I've been given at the homeschool convention I'll be going to next month.

Thanks!

Lisa

Well, I've definitely got my work cut out for me researching all these options. Both you and Lori mentioned this series. I'm hoping to get a closer look at this series as well as some of the other suggestions I've been given at the homeschool convention I'll be going to next month.

Thanks!

Lisa

We've also used some of Explorer's Bible Study in the past and I'm planning to use it next year with my gr 8 son. I think its a very solid program but there's a LOT in a lesson. I wish it were not scheduled for 5 days a week as we always have at least one day given over to a co-op. Aside from that, I do like it.

I recently ordered Lightning Lit 7 from Hewitt Homeschooling and have been perusing their catalog that came with it. I am intrigued by their Bible/Character pack for Junior High and like what I've read about the individual books on Amazon. The books are I Dare You, How to be Your Own Selfish Pig (mentioned above), and Windows on the World. Probably more focused on character than Bible, but it looks like it covers a lot of what I would like to talk to her about before hitting high school (she'll most likely go to a public school for that). Here's a link:

https://www.hewitthomeschooling.com/Junior/jhItem.aspx?id=8109

We've also used some of Explorer's Bible Study in the past and I'm planning to use it next year with my gr 8 son. I think its a very solid program but there's a LOT in a lesson. I wish it were not scheduled for 5 days a week as we always have at least one day given over to a co-op. Aside from that, I do like it.

Agreeing with Robin.

We ended up just creating our own breaks in the program, which meant it usually took 7-8 school days to complete a "1-week lesson". That also translated into taking 1.5 years to do a 1-year program -- I suppose that we could have also just done it over the summer, which would have been an even better good habit to form, of year-round daily Bible study...

The only downside I found about the Explorer's Bible Studies is a tendency to be too "workbooky" and "fill-in-the-blanks", rather than actual, prayerful consideration, thinking, and personal application. For that reason, the Kay Arthur studies were a good balance to alternate with the Explorer's Bible Studies, even though the Kay Arthur studies were a bit on the young side for late middle school.

We also balanced the Explorer's Bible Study by also doing daily personal quiet times and family devotional time, in which each person was reading through whatever book of the Bible they felt led to read/study. We would come back together afterwards each morning and:

a. sing a hymn/praise song together

b. each list one thing we were thankful for (try and develop an attitude of gratitude)

c. then answer these 4 questions in a brief sentence about what we had read:

1. list what the specific passage was

2. summarize in 1 sentence what the passage was literally about

3. summarize in 1 sentence what a spiritual meaning was that you saw

4. give a specific, simple personal application for putting that spiritual meaning into practice (usually something simple like, I will act on my commitment and do my chore of taking out the trash without complaint or having to be reminded; I will look for a way to encourage (build up) my brother, rather than tear him down; I will seek God and ask for His attitude in teaching the math today instead of being so impatient with my DS who struggles with math)

d. end with prayer time; we would *try* to include all of this in the prayer time, not just bring God a "laundry list" of prayer requests:

A= Adoration (praise; say who God is/His attributes, and what He has done -- often this is sparked from the passage that was read)

C = Confession (focus on God's perfection (the "A"), leads to awareness of where we fall short; usually this was personal/quiet/just to God; but we left silent time in our family prayer time for this)

T = Thanksgiving (thanking Him for forgiving us, giving us a fresh start, for all the blessings we are thankful for)

S = Supplication (prayer requests)

Blessings, and warmest regards, Lori D.

My dd has loved the R&S Bible series from grades 5-8. It's a basic survey of the entire Bible in 4 years (without some of the more mature part,s of the OT like Song of Solomon & Leviticus). She has memorized a lot of scripture and really matured in her spiritual walk.

I am in complete agreement. The R&S Bible curriculum is excellent. It is difficult to explain how much of a blessing it has been to our children. We start each day with it. They enjoy it and are retaining so much of it.

Are you familiar with the Character Sketches books?

For those of you that have used Rod and Staff bible,

Is this doable just discussing the workbook questions orally (or not using the workbooks?) My ds HATES writing, and hates fill in the blank type stuff. We tried R&S grade 4 reading this year at the beginning and while he liked the reading and had no issue reading/comprehending it, he hated the workbooks with a passion. The sections took him FOREVER to fill out and he'd be almost in tears by the time he finally finished every day. Finally, I just had him stop them b/c I didn't want him to associate the tears and dislike w/ his bible reading. However, I really liked all they taught....I'm torn on whether to try it again or not.