Menu

If your kid loves chemistry

Terrilth

You might like this!

My 8 year old had been asking and asking about chemistry. She's done all the old standby experiments: how to make a volcano, how to make goop, etc.

I wanted her to have something a bit meatier yk?

Then another mom recommended this and we LOVE it.

http://www.ellenjmchenrydownloads.com/The-Elements-Hard-Copy-CD-ELHC.htm

It's comprehensive and fun too. I love the experiments and the games and the way it is all explained.

You might like this!

My 8 year old had been asking and asking about chemistry. She's done all the old standby experiments: how to make a volcano, how to make goop, etc.

I wanted her to have something a bit meatier yk?

Then another mom recommended this and we LOVE it.

http://www.ellenjmchenrydownloads.com/The-Elements-Hard-Copy-CD-ELHC.htm

It's comprehensive and fun too. I love the experiments and the games and the way it is all explained.

That looks great! Might try that with my younger for fall and maybe tie it in with some khan academy and other reading for my older.

Does anyone know how this compares to ACS's free Middle School Chemistry program? http://www.middleschoolchemistry.com/

Thanks,

Ruth in NZ

I'm not familiar with the program you mentioned, but The Elements can be used with a keen child as young as eight. It's everything I'd want to introduce an elementary aged child to the elements. Everything is lighthearted and fun--there are comic strips and little page mascots and games. They will be very familiar with the periodic table by the time they are done, and they will have a ton of confidence heading into a grade 9 chemistry course.

I would add that I wish my high school chemistry students (tutoring) would have taken a course like McHenry's before they got to high school. I find such a lack of big picture understanding, as well as conceptual understanding, of elements, atoms, molecules, and so on. It's more like they're encouraged to simply memorize definitions, where McHenry has them picturing things and understanding them in a non-threatening way.

Edited by GingerPoppy

Do you know how long does it take to complete the Elements? The Middle School Science program is 600pages, and I think it is a year long course.

We are new to it and only plan on using it once a week so I know it will take us a while to get through.