Menu

Anyone participate in Math Olympiads?

Terrilth

DD (8) is really wanting some math challenges - preferably in a group. We homeschool and she wants a "girls against boys" challenge.

I know of no one who has particpated in this. The sample questions online look really fun.

Can anyone share experience?

Terrilth,

DS did it once when he was in PS. He enjoyed it very much. It was more for fun than for competition. They had one set of problems every month from Nov. to March. Each set had 5 problems. They calculated accumulated scores for individuals and used the tops ones from each set for team(not necessarily from the same kids every time). I forgot the details, but I'm sure you probably have found the info from their website. Kids may get the certificates, pins badges etc at the end.

Have you checked these books? I bought the volume 1 after the competition ended, but it was still fun for DS to read it at the time. The book was similar in format to the actual competitions. Good for kids to have fun or for practice.

http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Store/viewitem.php?item=moems:olympiad1

You don't have to buy them from AoPS. They may be available from somewhere else.

HTH.

My husband has run a Math Olympiad team for DS and a few other kids for the past two years now. He's a high school math teacher. It's pretty informal...this year we had about 10 kids (it's best if you have at least 10 because they calculate the team score based on the top 10 kids, but it still works with fewer...you just focus on individual scores). They got together once a week to work through problems together and then 5 times a year there's a test that they work through individually and then DH submitted the scores.

My husband has run a Math Olympiad team for DS and a few other kids for the past two years now. He's a high school math teacher. It's pretty informal...this year we had about 10 kids (it's best if you have at least 10 because they calculate the team score based on the top 10 kids, but it still works with fewer...you just focus on individual scores). They got together once a week to work through problems together and then 5 times a year there's a test that they work through individually and then DH submitted the scores.

Thanks for that info!

Yes, I highly doubt I'll find 10 kids interested here.

Anyone have ideas on how to start a group on the forum? Is this even possible?

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for that info!

Anyone have ideas on how to start a group on the forum? Is this even possible?

I am not sure how to do it on the forum, but my child will be interested. We were hoping to participate in "Kangaroo Math Olympiad" this year, but It was not organized in our area.

I guess, we can create a yahoo group. Just an idea.

My oldest has done Math Olympiad for 2 years with a local group of homeschoolers. It's intended for 4th grade and up...or at least doing 4th grade math and up. He enjoys it. The mom in charge administers the test and then goes over the problems with the group.

My boys (10 and 12) would be interested in joining a WTM group.

also check out continental math league:

http://www.continentalmathematicsleague.com/

You can compete individually as a homeschooler, I think the price was $20 for the 5 exams. There is a participation medal and an award for regional leaders for each grade. I also like their practice books - great problems!

Have you checked out the alcamus on the AoPS site?

:iagree: Alcumus is free and starts at the Prealgebra level (following along with the book).

I wish I could find something local for my ds9. He likes Alcumus (and will do more of it next year when he starts the book), but I'd really like to get him around other kids who are "like" him, if that makes any sense.

Are you referring to MOEMS? (moems.org) I ran a team of homeschooled kids for a couple of years, and in the off season, we take practice tests as a group for practice. I copy the tests from their books which you can buy from the website.

THey are getting a little weird about homeschoolers now. (I think it has something to do with cheating among schooled kids.) Anyway, you can do it officially and receive the awards and certificates and what not, or use old exams for practice.

I like that each exam is <30 minutes long, so it gives you plenty of time to take the exam and then review teh questions after, and you're done in an hour. That makes it convenient for everyone to schedule.

The problems are fun and challenging, too, and gives younger kids exposure to fun math outside all the algorithms they learn in their regular curricula.

Good luck! --Vida