Menu

Chocolate may help keep people slim

I eat a small square of dark chocolate when I'm hungry for a treat. I find that it really satisfies my sweet tooth, and it keeps me from eating greater quantities of sugary desserts. What I mean is, one little square of dark chocolate seems more satisfying than three cookies, or a couple of brownies, or a big slab of cake, etc. Sometimes eating sweets just makes me want MORE sweets. But dark chocolate doesn't do that.

(But for this to hold true, it does have to be dark chocolate, and it does have to be relatively low in sugar.)

Well, chocolate really has been a huge help in my weight loss journey. But, I've gradually worked up to 70% cocoa (coming from a definite milk chocolate preference.). Most of the time, a small square is enough to keep me from reaching for a junkier (no health benefit, more sugar, more fat, more preservatives) sweet treat.

Now, I've also cut sugar back, cut diet pop back, started eating many more vegetables, drinking more tea, focusing on Omega 3 rich foods, etc... So, I can't contribute all benefits to chocolate. It is a help, though.

I eat a small square of dark chocolate when I'm hungry for a treat. I find that it really satisfies my sweet tooth, and it keeps me from eating greater quantities of sugary desserts. What I mean is, one little square of dark chocolate seems more satisfying than three cookies, or a couple of brownies, or a big slab of cake, etc. Sometimes eating sweets just makes me want MORE sweets. But dark chocolate doesn't do that.

(But for this to hold true, it does have to be dark chocolate, and it does have to be relatively low in sugar.)

:iagree: This is me. I was on a "diet plateau" for quite a while and then someone gave us some high quality chocolates around the holidays. I ate a little every day and lo and behold, I started losing weight again. I am all for the chocolate method of weight loss. :D

:iagree: This is me. I was on a "diet plateau" for quite a while and then someone gave us some high quality chocolates around the holidays. I ate a little every day and lo and behold, I started losing weight again. I am all for the chocolate method of weight loss. :D

Best. Diet. Ever!

I am currently loving Chocolove dark chocolate orange peel bars. A little square or two is just the thing in the evening.

I've been eating a Hershey's Bar everyday since January and I'm down 15 pounds. :)

I don't think my weight loss has anything to do with the chocolate. I "Tie the bag" which is a term DH and I use that means - stop eating before you are full. I cut myself off early and it seems to be working.

I have also been serving more vegetables.

If I had cut out the chocolate I'm sure I'd be down at least 20 pounds if not more.