Menu

Religious curriculum suggestions but not Christian? Any kindred parents out there?

I don't like that this is my first post on here, because I worry that it will be divisive... but... I'm deeply from my heart looking for some like-minds to help me figure out some curriculum/resources for my kids/family! :)

I am deeply respectful of all faiths. I want my kids to learn the bible, but other texts as well. I love the idea of the new religious curriculum from PHP, but at the same time I don't want them to learn only the Christian perspective and that faith... and for time constrains don't think it would work for our family...

I'm looking for religious curriculum or book suggestions to include religious education in my Homeschool plans. I find that whenever I search on any kind of forum, google, amazon, anything... I end up with either secular or Christian books/texts. I relate most in my homeschooling journey to most Christian books/authors/mamas I think because I DON'T want a secular education. I want our faith to be included and integrated into what we do... but do not identify as Christian.

Are there any like-minded parents out there? I'm trying to build a religious curriculum with read-alouds, leveled reading books, etc... and am having a really hard time. I'm feeling deeply in search of some people to share in this journey. I'm feeling a bit alone. I've purchased a curriculum from Global Vilage School to use for reference/suggestions, but our educational style will be classical/Charlotte Mason... I'm planning on using many of the WTM books, SOW, OPGTTR, FLL, etc... and having a strong emphasis on nature/earth relationships.

Any curriculum/book recommendations? Or even just any others out there who mind want to have someone kindred to share ideas with?

(sorry this post is so long) :)

or, if you don't want curriculum but want to raise them with an awareness of the spiritual gifts of various faiths you could look into a Unitarian Universalist church...they have people of all faiths there.

They also publish children's books that might interest you.

http://www.uua.org/publications/skinnerhouse/browseskinner/13875.shtml

This is sort of my plan now. Any book recommendations? I think I've heard of some people using the Usborne book of World Religion - but I haven't heard any feedback about any...

We used to go to a UU church. We're moving soon, I'm not sure what church/worship home we'll find there. We'll probably have to drive pretty far away to find something.

ETA: Just looked up the UU book list. That's great! I'd never seen that list and hadn't heard of some of those! Thank you!

Edited by OneLittleWindow

I am a left leaning Christian, and totally "get" what you are saying. I am in the same boat! For literature, I discovered "Mosdos Press", a Jewish company that publishes absolutely wonderful literature anthologies and workbooks to go along with them. They have them from 4th - 8th grade, and we have found their selections to be broad and very moral/thought provoking without being overly religious. Religion is mentioned in many of the stories, but not in a heavy handed way at all...this is more morally based/character based than religious based, but it doesn't ignore religion and has no discernible agenda. Not only that, but the stories are very, very moving...enough to have us all in tears of joy or heartache more than once...and that takes some doing!

Cindy

I am a left leaning Christian, and totally "get" what you are saying. I am in the same boat! For literature, I discovered "Mosdos Press", a Jewish company that publishes absolutely wonderful literature anthologies and workbooks to go along with them. They have them from 4th - 8th grade, and we have found their selections to be broad and very moral/thought provoking without being overly religious. Religion is mentioned in many of the stories, but not in a heavy handed way at all...this is more morally based/character based than religious based, but it doesn't ignore religion and has no discernible agenda. Not only that, but the stories are very, very moving...enough to have us all in tears of joy or heartache more than once...and that takes some doing!

Cindy

Thank you! Those sound lovely - and I'll go look them up right now.

Not a curriculum, but I liked One World, Many Religions by Mary Pope Osborne as a gentle introduction to different faiths.

Laura

It's in my cart now! :)