Menu

Dog experts - come help me.

Okay, is it common for 3-4 month old puppies to pee every 15 minutes!!!

These pups were rescued from the humane shelter and were there for about a month. We've had them for little over a week and I've had the older girls take them out every hour. We also have put down pee pads next to the doors. They STILL keep peeing on the floor - even after they've just been outside and peed out there. Today I had the girls take them out every 30 minutes and twice they've come inside and peed.

My patience is running out. We are looking at puppy pens to keep them in instead of letting them just run in the room my girls are in because they won't go on the pee pads and they CAN NOT keep peeing on my carpet. That will solve the peeing everywhere problem but I still need some help getting them house broke. My Schnauzer puppies were trained in a little over two weeks, but these puppies aren't making any progress at all. HELP !

I bet they're darling.
:glare: Yeh, not so much at the moment. Just had oldest take them out again. They peed outside then came in and peed within 5 minutes. They are now on leashes tied to my dining room table with about 10 pee pads surrounding them. This is not a long term solution.:tongue_smilie:

I would think about talking about what "peeing" versus just dribbling is. My first thought is that maybe they're just dribbling outside. And yes to the leash with you all the time.... until it's not a problem. Do you have a spot they can be that doesn't have carpet?

This is peeing not dribbling. I'm trying to figure out how to confine them to the kitchen until we can get a pen for them. Unfortunately the rest of our house is carpet.

I will tell the girls that if they aren't confined in a small area that they will need to be on a leash.

I wonder - they drink a ton of water during the day. Should I restrict their water to certain times of the day?

If you just took ownership of them a week ago and they were at a shelter, they could have caught something perhaps and/or be a little scared. I would try limiting their water and see how that goes.

We had a male shepherd once that lost control of his bladder when he was excited (like when Dad came home or we returned from a long absence). He did this for probably 7 months. He would totally spazzz out when he saw us and just pee whatever was in his bladder - he spent a lot of time outside playing but we always took him out before Dad got home or there would be a puddle!

Good luck,

ReneeR

Just a few quick thoughts before I run out:

1. DO NOT USE PEE PADS!! YOU ARE TEACHING THEM THAT WHEN SOMETHING'S ON THE FLOOR, THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO PEE ON IT!!! So when your sweater is on the floor, they'll pee on it. A book? Newspaper? board game? Pee! Pee! Pee!

2. This doesn't sound normal. Especially given that they were at the humane society for a month, I"d have them both tested for UTI's. VERY common in female pups.

3. Eliminate the free access to food and water. Scheduled sips. Long, long, LONG walks. Are you absolutely sure these pups are peeing every time they go out?

Call the vet-- UTI is a very real possibility.

astrid

:glare: Yeh, not so much at the moment. Just had oldest take them out again. They peed outside then came in and peed within 5 minutes. They are now on leashes tied to my dining room table with about 10 pee pads surrounding them. This is not a long term solution.:tongue_smilie:

NOOO!!! SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!! DON'T GIVE THEM PEE PADS! YOU ARE TEACHIGN THEM TO PEE ON THE FLOOR!!! Then you scold them for peeing on the floor--- can't give mixed messages like that.

Sorry this is so hard-- I totally know the feeling of frustrating. It'll get better. But you've got to get rid of the pee pads. See my response further below.

astrid

They could have a urinary tract infection. The vet can check for this.

When my sweet dog was a puppy, he was unbelievably stupid in this area. We could never allow him in the house unsupervised. He had to be crated constantly, for more than a year! (We kept the crate very close to us.)

I was actually HOPING he had a UTI (so there was some hope for improvement). Alas, it was not a UTI, he just couldn't understand it.

Well, eventually, he did figure it out. Though he's still not 100%. We still crate him if it rains (because he'd rather pee inside than go out in the rain).

I wish you well with this.

Oh, and in my desperation, I purchased a little pee strap for him. Something like this. I can't say it really helped him learn. But it helped me feel that we could take him out of the crate and play with him for a few minutes. If you look through the pet catalogs, you'll see things like this.

Maybe think about getting the round gated things for the kitchen? (if you can't get whatever you had to work...) UTI's could be possible; but seriously all the pups? How old are they? I'd suggest remembering not to get too excited when taking them out of the pen you create. Very calm talking. Also, make sure you try to neutralize the area where they've already gone.

I wouldn't use pee pads... (Like Astrid already commented)

Good Luck!! :)

UTI's could be possible; but seriously all the pups?

Yes, actually. UTI's are often caused by puppies squatting in contaminated areas--- such as the flooring in a large scale kennel environment. Humane societies would qualify as such.

Another common cause of UTIs in pups is physiological-- pups with short urethrae, etc. Often chronic propensity for UTI is reported among littermates.

Still another is food allergies. If the pups are fed the same diet (and I'm assuming you feed both pups the same?) this could be a cause as well.

astrid

Okay, thanks guys. I'll get rid of the pee pads and we have an appointment to see the vet next week. I think confinement and leashes during the day is going to be the key. I think taking the water away except for certain times will help to. Since the girls have had them on leashes they haven't peed.

The puppy pee pads-- ones you get at pet store have been scented to ATTRACT dogs to pee/poop on them!

These will undo any outside potty training.

If you need to protect the carpet in certain areas then use the HUMAN pads (I use Chux). The 'people' ones are not scented and are no different than the carpet to the dogs. These saved me HOURS of cleaning as it took 2-3 weeks to train our new puppy how to completely eliminate outside (not dribble)...

I would NOT limit water... it can be unhealthy... some dogs have kidney problems that cause them to take in excess water --and of course eliminate more often... make sure your vet knows the issue.

What type of puppies are these?-- some smaller breeds can be a PITA to house train.

What type of puppies are these?-- some smaller breeds can be a PITA to house train.

These are Great Pyrenees mixes.

Okay, so since late this afternoon they've been penned up in the kitchen except for every hour the older girls have taken them out to walk\play for about 10 minutes. They have gotten a drink of water each hour right before they go out, but I'm not letting them drink and drink to the point of their tummies being tight (like they were doing before). We've had no peeing in the house so far.

So, the key seems to be reducing the amount of water they get, and keeping them confined in a small area or keeping them on a leash in the house.

I will talk to the vet about the excessive water drinking.

Thanks for everyone's advice. Hopefully in a week or so we will have some improvement.