Menu

We got our Sonlight catalog in the mail

danybug

This might have been asked before, but after April 2, will the reader schedule still be available apart from the LAIG?

I am trying to decide whether to buy a core or piece together. I think it would be significantly cheaper to piece together since I won't be using the LA and I have a few of the books. But I do want the Readers schedule. Thanks!

This might have been asked before, but after April 2, will the reader schedule still be available apart from the LAIG?

I am trying to decide whether to buy a core or piece together. I think it would be significantly cheaper to piece together since I won't be using the LA and I have a few of the books. But I do want the Readers schedule. Thanks!

No, I don't think it will. I'm planning to buy up all the reader packages that I don't already have prior to April 2.

Me too. I am still bitter lol. I can't stand the new catalog format with its lack of book descriptions. I cherished my SL catalog when it came mine has sat here all day next to me and I haven't even picked it up yet.

Yeah, me too. :glare: How can they possibly think it's smart to leave the book descriptions out of a catalog for literature-based curriculum?! The book descriptions are what sucked me into using SL.

On a happy note - I thought I had gotten rid of my older catalogs but found the 2008-2010 ones yesterday!

I spoke with Sonlight and was told the readers and LA are customizable like they are now. The only change is that the layout of the IG will be in one instead of several separate IG's. If you look at the core D sample you'll see what I mean.

Edited by singbanshee

Yeah, me too. :glare: How can they possibly think it's smart to leave the book descriptions out of a catalog for literature-based curriculum?! The book descriptions are what sucked me into using SL.

On a happy note - I thought I had gotten rid of my older catalogs but found the 2008-2010 ones yesterday!

They are worth gold to some don't throw them aaway. I'm sure someone would pay for them.

I just asked via chat on their site - through readers 4/5 you can buy just the schedule. D and up you cannot - it is included in the LA.

Good to know. I now remember the person I spoke with said that around core D kids level out in the differences in reading ability...or something like that.

I spoke with Sonlight and was told the readers and LA are customizable like they are now. The only change is that the layout of the IG will be in one instead of several separate IG's. If you look at the core D sample you'll see what I mean.

What did they mean by this?

With Cores A-C you'll be able to choose different levels of readers, but they will come with the LA, not just buy themselves.

I just asked via chat on their site - through readers 4/5 you can buy just the schedule. D and up you cannot - it is included in the LA.

Thanks! Yesterday I was all set to buy a complete core, but then realized how much I would save by piecing it together. Not sure in the end it will have been worth my time though . . .

What did they mean by this?

With Cores A-C you'll be able to choose different levels of readers, but they will come with the LA, not just buy themselves.

I "think" the readers and LA cannot be purchased separately in a core. However you can buy the reader/schedule package apart from the LA if you are not buying a Core. Just like you can buy an IG w/out the LA if you buy just the IG which is what I plan to do. (This is for Readers through 4/5) *I "think" being the operative word here. ;)

After agonizing over it (ridiculous), I finally ordered the Core A IG and the Core A science today. I think I like A as it is now, but I think I'll like the higher cores better the new way, though we won't be using the LA. Our church is especially mission focused, and the new cores seem to be especially mission focused, so it goes well with what the kids learn at church.

I had planned to make up my own kindergarten curriculum, pulling from Sonlight, Ambleside, etc. Then yesterday it occurred to me that if I do that I'll (1) make it overly challenging for the attention span of a five year old. (I know myself. That's how I roll. I'm trying to listen to you people who say to chill out for kindergarten.) and (2) possibly not get everything done that I should.

So I'm planning for the four day plus Capyboppy. I can use the fifth day for any extra books I want to do. I was going to go with Core B, which may be a better fit for my son, but with Core A, I can include his brother, and it will prevent me from trying to push my kindergartner into too much school work. :tongue_smilie:

I want to do BFSU science later, but we have a newborn, so I'm going with something easy and fun for the three and five year olds this year. I don't mind if they don't retain it as long as it leaves them with a love for science.

I "think" the readers and LA cannot be purchased separately in a core. However you can buy the reader/schedule package apart from the LA if you are not buying a Core. Just like you can buy an IG w/out the LA if you buy just the IG which is what I plan to do. (This is for Readers through 4/5) *I "think" being the operative word here. ;)
Just for grins, I may try to chat with someone over there too. Because if I can wait on buying all sorts of reader packages, I will!

Also, I'm guessing that the integrated LA thing is not going to last.
I have to admit I am guessing that too. I'm thinking in a few years it will be separated out yet again, since that's the way Sonlight does stuff.:tongue_smilie:

We got the catalog last week and it has been sitting untouched on my kitchen counter. I finally flipped through it, but was totally unimpressed.

It's sad--my dd LOVES the SL catalog. She pours over it, circles books she wants to read, creates her own lesson plans for her dolls...it's one of her favorite things. Last year she snatched the SL catalog as soon as it came in the mail and ran to her room to read it. She came back down less than 15 min. later and gave it back to me and said they messed it up. Without the book descriptions it had lost it's appeal with her.

She hasn't even glanced at the catalog that's been sitting on my counter all week. When I mentioned that it had come she said she would rather just look at my old ones (I still have from 2008 on up. Wish I'd hung onto the old ones!).

I really wonder how their sales will go over the next few years...How many customers will they lose over the recent changes combined with a catalog with no book descriptions?

OK just chatted with Sherry. The reader SCHEDULES will be available individually. The readers will be available individually. The reader PACKAGES will only come with the LA. So she said what you could do is to order the schedule by itself and then all the readers individually, and you'd end up with the package without the LA.

I wonder how much more expensive that would be though.

We got the catalog last week and it has been sitting untouched on my kitchen counter. I finally flipped through it, but was totally unimpressed.

:iagree:

It is nothing but "testimonials," all of which sound like they were written by the same person. "Box Day" stories? Really, that's what you've got now? Blechhh.

Terri

OK just chatted with Sherry. The reader SCHEDULES will be available individually. The readers will be available individually. The reader PACKAGES will only come with the LA. So she said what you could do is to order the schedule by itself and then all the readers individually, and you'd end up with the package without the LA.

I wonder how much more expensive that would be though.

Thanks for clearing that up!

I don't think it would be much or any more expensive. I don't think the reader packages give you any discount on the books. In fact, when I went to amazon to price the readers 4/5 this morning and they were mostly the same price (other than a few that were not available new from amazon). I would guess it would just be more inconvenient to have to add each book individually to the cart. It seems silly. Since the readers and LA don't go together for most kids in Cores A-C, to have the LA included with the readers is silly. The schedule yes, the LA no. I agree that it is only a matter of time before they separate it out again. The LA as part of the upper cores makes sense-- it is part of the program, but not for A-C.

Entirely apart from the discussion of Cores, the Mathtacular DVDs stand as three of the best purchases we've ever made.

So even if Sonlight were to do everything possible to make me angry, I'd still like them a little bit because of those DVDs.

Who remembers when they wanted to charge for the catalog...I think it was $5. I can actually understand this because they did a lot of work to get the lists for each core. It was worth. I would even be willing to spend the money on a catalog (with a refund if ordering a core) but only if it was like the old ones...book descriptions and a description of the core, not the box day stories and how my children are going to love the cores that Sarita gives for each core.

With lots thinking along the lines of buying used IGs don't be too surprised if they adopt WP's no resale exclusives rule. At some point sales have got to show the decrease of IG purchases.

Who remembers when they wanted to charge for the catalog...I think it was $5. I can actually understand this because they did a lot of work to get the lists for each core. It was worth. I would even be willing to spend the money on a catalog (with a refund if ordering a core) but only if it was like the old ones...book descriptions and a description of the core, not the box day stories and how my children are going to love the cores that Sarita gives for each core.

With lots thinking along the lines of buying used IGs don't be too surprised if they adopt WP's no resale exclusives rule. At some point sales have got to show the decrease of IG purchases.

But even if they did this it wouldn't apply to older editions, right? Because that would be a copyright change, wouldn't it?

But even if they did this it wouldn't apply to older editions, right? Because that would be a copyright change, wouldn't it?

They cannot legally tell you not to resale. Here's the law for it...

"THE FIRST SALE DOCTRINE

The physical ownership of an item, such as a book or a CD, is not the same as owning the copyright to the work embodied in that item.

Under the first sale doctrine (section 109 of the Copyright Act), ownership of a physical copy of a copyright-protected work permits lending, reselling, disposing, etc. of the item, but it does not permit reproducing the material, publicly displaying or performing it, or otherwise engaging in any of the acts reserved for the copyright holder, because the transfer of the physical copy does not include transfer of the copyright rights to the work."

They cannot legally tell you not to resale. Here's the law for it...

"THE FIRST SALE DOCTRINE

The physical ownership of an item, such as a book or a CD, is not the same as owning the copyright to the work embodied in that item.

Under the first sale doctrine (section 109 of the Copyright Act), ownership of a physical copy of a copyright-protected work permits lending, reselling, disposing, etc. of the item, but it does not permit reproducing the material, publicly displaying or performing it, or otherwise engaging in any of the acts reserved for the copyright holder, because the transfer of the physical copy does not include transfer of the copyright rights to the work."

That's what I was going to say. Just like WP, they might ASK that you don't resell it, but it would not be illegal for you to resell it.

Well, I've wanted for years to do Cores D & E with dc, but I didn't think they would change so much, so I went ahead and ordered IGs ahead of "The Light and the Glory" changes. I may not use them for a year or more, but at least I won't have to tweak so much when I finally get around to them.

I recieved my SL catalog this week. Since SL constantly makes major changes to their curriculum, I have decieded I will not purchase anything from them other than reading list. Homeschooling my children gvies me enough anxiety I don't need a curriculum publisher changing so much. My heart just cant take it. Its safer for me to just stay away.