Menu

S/O- Age to see Hunger Games?

I am aware that the movie is rated PG-13 but that is not a deal-breaker for me. It really depends on why it has that rating. A little bit of language, a mention of drinking, some violence, those things are manageable. DD10 desperately wants to see the movie. She has read the book and said it was pretty violent but nothing she couldn't handle. I'm concerned that the movie may be too much. I'd love some feedback after ya'll see it. Let me know what you think for a very intelligent, pretty mature 10yo.

Wow, I just read the description at IMDB and it sounds nothing like the movie I just saw. Of course there was some violance but most of it was a blur, no shown directly (usually just a quick shot of the after results) and relatively little (none that I can actually think of) to no gore. Much milder than the final two HPs if you ask me. As far as sex and nudity. A few very mild kissing scenes. Katniss is shown in a hospital gown and then a one shouldered dress. Some citizens of the capital were shown in regular cocktail attire - nothing extreme. I would have absolutely no problem letting my 9 or 10 year old watch it especially if they already read the book. The movie was much less intense.

Wow, I just read the description at IMDB and it sounds nothing like the movie I just saw. Of course there was some violance but most of it was a blur, no shown directly (usually just a quick shot of the after results) and relatively little (none that I can actually think of) to no gore. Much milder than the final two HPs if you ask me. As far as sex and nudity. A few very mild kissing scenes. Katniss is shown in a hospital gown and then a one shouldered dress. Some citizens of the capital were shown in regular cocktail attire - nothing extreme. I would have absolutely no problem letting my 9 or 10 year old watch it especially if they already read the book. The movie was much less intense.

Thanks for the information. It sounds like she should easily be able to handle it. She'll be thrilled. :001_smile:

Please read my threads and comments on the film here on the board.

A mature 10 y/o - and only you know how mature, imo would be fine with it.

My dd11.5 is extremely sensitive and she watched it and commented that (while she had not read the book - I think she was afraid to - but she insisted on coming to the film) she was pleased that the Games scene with Rue was done peacefully and not frighteningly.

I'd take her! In fact, I took my 10 year old at midnight last night. He's listened to the audiobooks and we've talked a lot about the themes and everything. He enjoyed it very much. He is also pretty mature and he's not sensitive to stuff like that (he also saw Harry Potter in the movie theater and he was just 9 and not yet 10 for Deathly Hallows). The violence is actually much tamer than in the books and filmed in a way that isn't gory. I think they did an excellent job with that. There's no nudity. Katniss is in a tub briefly before the Reaping, but it shows pretty much a wet leg getting scrubbed and not much more than that. Women in the Capitol don't always have super modest dresses, but they aren't close-upped or anything. In fact, I think the worst of the sex for the whole movie was in a *trailer* beforehand for a Johnny Depp film! Katniss and Peeta kiss on the lips I think once and it much as described in the book. That's the extent of the sex. It's rated PG-13 for mature themes and violence. Definitely not sex.

I'd take her! In fact, I took my 10 year old at midnight last night. He's listened to the audiobooks and we've talked a lot about the themes and everything. He enjoyed it very much. He is also pretty mature and he's not sensitive to stuff like that (he also saw Harry Potter in the movie theater and he was just 9 and not yet 10 for Deathly Hallows). The violence is actually much tamer than in the books and filmed in a way that isn't gory. I think they did an excellent job with that. There's no nudity. Katniss is in a tub briefly before the Reaping, but it shows pretty much a wet leg getting scrubbed and not much more than that. Women in the Capitol don't always have super modest dresses, but they aren't close-upped or anything. In fact, I think the worst of the sex for the whole movie was in a *trailer* beforehand for a Johnny Depp film! Katniss and Peeta kiss on the lips I think once and it much as described in the book. That's the extent of the sex. It's rated PG-13 for mature themes and violence. Definitely not sex.

Thanks for the review. I think I will take her after hearing from ya'll.

Please read my threads and comments on the film here on the board.

A mature 10 y/o - and only you know how mature, imo would be fine with it.

My dd11.5 is extremely sensitive and she watched it and commented that (while she had not read the book - I think she was afraid to - but she insisted on coming to the film) she was pleased that the Games scene with Rue was done peacefully and not frighteningly.

Yes, all of us that had read the book were very thankful for how they handled Rue's death. We still cried of course especially after the salute but it wasn't the horrible, gut wrenching experience that it was in the book.