Menu

If you are pursuing a classical education for *yourself*

I would say, to this point, I have struggled to educate my children classically. The more I try to teach in a classical way, the more I see that I don't understand the nature of it. The *idea* of it is elusive.

I am a complete product of a weak public school education, including college. I grew up in a very pragmatic home and am, by nature, intensely practical. This is my "grain". Classical training continues to go against my grain.

I am convinced of the rewards of classical education. I understand the stages: grammar, logic, rhetoric and what they mean. I use great books (classics) in our school, though I fall short in analysis and other study. I am barely grasping the idea of teaching "disciplines" rather than "subjects" and integrating them.... Just to give you an idea of where I am in my journey.

I think part of my confusion may be rooted in the brands of "classical" education around me. But what I am interested in is the substance. I feel like I have been grasping at the shadow, iykwim.

How do I retrain myself to understand, embrace, and teach it?

Thanks for any insights!

Have you read Climbing Parnassus?

I've intended to take a look at this book for a while now. Just ordered it from the library. Thank you.

Hie thee over to the K-8 Board and look for the big Circe thread, if you haven't already. Good stuff there.

Thanks. Will do.

:iagree:

This thread

Also check out the tags on that thread for even more discussions.

Best wishes

Thanks for the link and the well wishes :)

See if your library has a copy of McCullough's most recent title:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Greater-Journey-Americans-Paris/dp/1416571760/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1332506033&sr=1-1

He is a great writer, a winner of two Pulitzers. The book is an argument with loads of exposition. Do you have a copy of Susan's Well-Educated Mind? Review her section on history to gain some guidance. Journal your way through McCullough's book. It's just not hard to enjoy his work; he is a great story teller.

Enjoy his sentences. Enjoy the way he exposes his characters. Enjoy the way he builds toward a climax. Enjoy discovering new information and making new connections. And most of all look for the ways he builds an argument. How does he use source material to validate his points? How does he assemble those points into an argument? What is he saying about this episode in history? What caused these people to do what they did? How did the events change the United States and the world? Do you agree with his assessment? Why or why not?

Grammar.

Logic.

Rhetoric.

It's all there.

And it's a joy to read.

This process is supposed to be thrilling not elusive.

Have fun! Smile as you learn. Feel the thrill of what you understand. And have peace that tomorrow's lessons are for tomorrow.

That mindset helps to make the journey grand rather than harrowing. :001_smile:

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

However, don't feel like you have to read all of it or with complete comprehension.

Lately, on this board I haven't read much about this book, the Latin Centered Curriculum, but Drew Campbell gets his points across relatively quickly and painlessly.

For immediate free assistance: see Memoria Press's archives and "subscribe" to their free catalog. http://www.memoriapress.com/articles/ Great short articles including ones by SWB, Peter Kreeft, Russell Kirk, Simmons (author of Climbing P.), Drew Campbell (author of Latin-Centered Curric.)

(I have WEM, but I would use it after the above.)

Right now I'm trying to integrate "The Trivium" by Sister Miriam Joseph and simultaneously learn the Progymnasmata levels.

I have Corbett, Classical Rhetoric on loan from a friend right now, I'm going to need to buy this title in hardback for permanent reference. I feel like this one is a required, non-optional spine.

As far as the quadrivium goes, I get my toes in a few times a week from various places; but that feels right now like trying to swim across the Pacific. :lol:

I give a hearty recommend to Well Educated Mind by Susan Wise Bauer, if you approach this work as an academic text to be followed to the letter, it's very challenging.

The History series on Peace Hill Press are amazing. Next time you get in a bookstore, see if they are carrying anything-and hope to pieces you can view a copy (or do an ILL) on the History of the World collection.

It'll make your eyes water it's so beautiful.

I've had The Well Educated Mind for about three months now, and I've only worked my way through a deeper understanding of two of the 15 classification steps. It's really a challenge.

There's always a lot of chatter about Norms and Nobility, and it is universally accepted that not a sissy book, in theory or application; that one will make you tired but grow new vines of the mind like crazy. Good stuff there.

I don't know if I'll ever understand it all a millimeter deep, but it sure is a fun time trying! :)