Menu

Should I switch from CLE to Abeka math?

mommytime

Hi everyone! (Glad to be back from an extended forum break!)

I'm going back and forth with this decision. Right now I'm using Singapore 1 U.S. edition and CLE 100 with my oldest. I really like the combination. It is a lot, but I think he needs that spiral review to keep things fresh. I love them both but the pace of CLE 100 is so much slower than the Singapore that I'm wondering if I should switch to Abeka. CLE seems to take so much longer to get to facts above 10 and double-digit addition. I heard that Abeka goes at a faster pace. I feel like I'm delaying the SM to wait for the CLE to catch up.

I looked at the Abeka 1 math yesterday at a display and I was visually overwhelmed by all the color. Can kids pay attention despite all the pictures? Also, the teacher's manual didn't seem to have the copies of the student pages with the answers. I love that about the CLE manual...it makes checking his work so much easier.

My 5 year old is begging me to get him his own CLE booklets, so I want to decide asap and either get him CLE or get them both Abeka. I hate to switch when what I have is working, but I don't want them behind either. They are definitely creatures of routine...switching around is hard.

Can anyone who's BTDT help me out? I know there are others using SM/CLE or SM/Abeka...what are your thoughts? Or advice from someone else? Thanks in advance!!

We tried the 4th grade Abeka program this year, but it didn't go over well for the reasons you mentioned. We thought the page was very visually cluttered, plus it was just all over the place... a new concept, a row of addition, a story problem, a row of division... it was frustrating. Abeka is a solid program but it has to be the right style for your child.

At this point we're using a combination of CLE and Abeka. I don't know about the years in between, but CLE seems to be pretty much on sequence for the 4th grade program we're using. Hopefully others who have used more years can chime in.

We used abeka with SM from day one. The thing my dc's liked best was the colour. Also the methods for reaching the answers are quite different usually. This is really important. They need to learn there are many different ways to get the same answer. We have never used CLE so I can't comment on that.:001_smile:

I have used Abeka K and 1 and we love it. It does seem to skip around on the worksheets, but that is part of reviewing. There are questions to practice what was learned in the lesson, there are questions to review what was learned in the last few lessons, then often a question or two about older material. The pictures do not bother my children because I do give them a minute or two to look at them and/or color. I started Abeka math thinking I could switch after K if we didn't care for it, but I have not looked back at all!

We tried the 4th grade Abeka program this year, but it didn't go over well for the reasons you mentioned. We thought the page was very visually cluttered, plus it was just all over the place... a new concept, a row of addition, a story problem, a row of division... it was frustrating. Abeka is a solid program but it has to be the right style for your child.

At this point we're using a combination of CLE and Abeka. I don't know about the years in between, but CLE seems to be pretty much on sequence for the 4th grade program we're using. Hopefully others who have used more years can chime in.

:iagree: I haven't used Abeka, but CLE is very much on point. SM definitely introduces some concepts very early, so they may seem disjointed when you put them together.

I've used Abeka from 1st through 6th (except for 4th -which dd#2 will get to sometime next year, hopefully, when she's done slogging through 3). I used CLE 400 with dd#1, so I'm familiar with both.

A couple of points:

- They are both SOLID programs that build in constant review ("spiral").

- Going slowly for numbers 1-10 is FINE. A solid base in this area is VERY IMPORTANT.

- My dd#3 is doing Abeka 1 & is on Lesson 90-something. They only just got to adding to 10. (There are 170 lessons/year in Abeka, so 90 is just over half way through.)

- My kids enjoy the color & pictures. They aren't distractions for my kids - more like "enhancements."

Abeka is slightly ahead of CLE in some concepts (at least through 4th grade), but also adds in other things that Abeka is "light" on. (IMO, Abeka is light on geometry & metrics.)

If CLE/SM is working, don't mess with it. Working on the spiral at a slower pace is not necessarily a problem. You have your review built-in and it is okay if it is a bit "behind" where you are with SM. Remember that SM won't hit that topic again until the next year's book, probably, so it moves at a completely different pace.

Another alternative is to add the Singapore Intensive Practice books (which are more challenging that the core textbooks and workbooks) and use them "behind" (to what ever degree works for you) to give both deepened mastery and a sense of review.

Bill

We used abeka with SM from day one. The thing my dc's liked best was the colour. Also the methods for reaching the answers are quite different usually. This is really important. They need to learn there are many different ways to get the same answer. We have never used CLE so I can't comment on that.:001_smile:

Yes, I've felt the same way...that's why I using two different programs.

:iagree: I haven't used Abeka, but CLE is very much on point. SM definitely introduces some concepts very early, so they may seem disjointed when you put them together.

Ok, thanks!

I've used Abeka from 1st through 6th (except for 4th -which dd#2 will get to sometime next year, hopefully, when she's done slogging through 3). I used CLE 400 with dd#1, so I'm familiar with both.

A couple of points:

- They are both SOLID programs that build in constant review ("spiral").

- Going slowly for numbers 1-10 is FINE. A solid base in this area is VERY IMPORTANT.

- My dd#3 is doing Abeka 1 & is on Lesson 90-something. They only just got to adding to 10. (There are 170 lessons/year in Abeka, so 90 is just over half way through.)

- My kids enjoy the color & pictures. They aren't distractions for my kids - more like "enhancements."

Abeka is slightly ahead of CLE in some concepts (at least through 4th grade), but also adds in other things that Abeka is "light" on. (IMO, Abeka is light on geometry & metrics.)

If CLE/SM is working, don't mess with it. Working on the spiral at a slower pace is not necessarily a problem. You have your review built-in and it is okay if it is a bit "behind" where you are with SM. Remember that SM won't hit that topic again until the next year's book, probably, so it moves at a completely different pace.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience! It's reassuring. I don't want to be bitten by the "grass is greener" syndrome...I just wonder if it would easier to add in one page of abeka and focus more on the Singapore than to add in the whole CLE lesson to the Singapore...even though I like the CLE...and I love the CLE manual. And yeah, I hate to mess with what is working. It is working...it just is a lot of pages for my son to complete.

Another alternative is to add the Singapore Intensive Practice books (which are more challenging that the core textbooks and workbooks) and use them "behind" (to what ever degree works for you) to give both deepened mastery and a sense of review.

Bill

I do want to incorporate more of the intensive practice and challenging word problems, but I wasn't sure how to do it and not have math take too long. Ds was having a hard time at the beginning of the year grasping even the most basic ideas. (Like he tried convincing me that 1 + 0 = 0.):confused: And this was after a K year of Right Start A and R&S! (That seemed like a total waste of a year!) BUT, he's made a ton of progress and is going along quite well. CLE seems so easy for him...he usually gets his 20 question speed drills done in well under a minute, and he usually scores 100% on the quizzes and tests.

I definitely use the HiG for the Singapore and follow it very closely. I was having him use the extra practice book for awhile to cement some of the ideas, so maybe I'll alternate the workbook with the intensive practice book. I like the way Singapore really makes him think...and I incorporate those strategies with the CLE work.

Yes, I agree that it looked cluttered. I don't mind that the lesson jumps around, because that's what CLE does. But the CLE pages are so well-laid out with so much white space, that it's very calming. But that's just me...maybe my kids wouldn't mind. Who knows? Maybe my Ds would think that it was a lot less work!

I do want to incorporate more of the intensive practice and challenging word problems, but I wasn't sure how to do it and not have math take too long. Ds was having a hard time at the beginning of the year grasping even the most basic ideas. (Like he tried convincing me that 1 + 0 = 0.):confused: And this was after a K year of Right Start A and R&S! (That seemed like a total waste of a year!) BUT, he's made a ton of progress and is going along quite well. CLE seems so easy for him...he usually gets his 20 question speed drills done in well under a minute, and he usually scores 100% on the quizzes and tests.

I definitely use the HiG for the Singapore and follow it very closely. I was having him use the extra practice book for awhile to cement some of the ideas, so maybe I'll alternate the workbook with the intensive practice book. I like the way Singapore really makes him think...and I incorporate those strategies with the CLE work.

You will know the best fit. I just wanted to throw out the idea that supplemental books like Intensive Practice, Extra Practice, and CWPs can be used to provide "review." I have use the IPs and CWPs in a deliberately haphazard way for just this reason.

Best wishes figuring out your mix!

Bill

Thanks so much for sharing your experience! It's reassuring. I don't want to be bitten by the "grass is greener" syndrome...I just wonder if it would easier to add in one page of abeka and focus more on the Singapore than to add in the whole CLE lesson to the Singapore...even though I like the CLE...and I love the CLE manual. And yeah, I hate to mess with what is working. It is working...it just is a lot of pages for my son to complete.

I've been hooked by "GIG" syndrome many times, and it's only our first year! We have been trying to figure out a plan like you describe... how to combine the best of two programs, but not overwhelm anyone. At first I thought the same about Abeka and Singapore, but Abeka is out of the question for us. My son dislikes Abeka enough that he's more interested in doing all four pages of a CLE lesson than in the single front and back of an Abeka lesson, even adding in some SM IP pages. I pulled out the Abeka book today and had him do just ONE front of ONE page (he needed some multiplication practice on a certain type of problem), and you'd have thought I asked him to cross an alligator infested swamp, barefoot.

Yes, I agree that it looked cluttered. I don't mind that the lesson jumps around, because that's what CLE does. But the CLE pages are so well-laid out with so much white space, that it's very calming. But that's just me...maybe my kids wouldn't mind. Who knows? Maybe my Ds would think that it was a lot less work!

I wondered if it was just me too, but DS willingly does CLE and seems much calmer with it. He's what you'd call a "sensitive" child. ;) Too much visual clutter, like too much noise or too big of a crowd, can overwhelm him without him even knowing what's wrong.

Certainly, I'm not trying to talk you into one or the other. They're both solid programs, but that's been our experience. Good luck... it's tough finding just the right fit.

Signed,

Goldilocks, who continues her search for "just right" :D

Edited by SunnyDays

BTW, the Abeka Homeschool Lesson Plans include conceptual teaching. Not as much as Singapore, but they are in there. So, if you use those or KNOW how to teach conceptually, Abeka is not learning by rote. :001_smile:

My dd thought the CLE lessons were SO MUCH LONGER than her Abeka lessons because of the amount of white space made each lesson 4-5 pages instead of two pages (front & back). She was so mentally convinced that she begged to go back to Abeka. It took timing her on a lesson to convince her it really didn't take any longer than her Abeka ones. She still begged to go back to Abeka. :tongue_smilie:

I stick with my original statement though. Don't switch to Abeka if what you are using works.

If you want to keep CLE but lower the amount of work for him, you might want to cross off some problems in the CLE lesson. Or, alternate days? CLE lessons are easy to double up on - teach the new parts of two lessons & just have them do the review sections of one of the lessons. Barely lengthens the lesson at all & you go through twice as quickly. Good luck!