Menu

Curriculum daydreams - what have you dreamed up?

krisperry

I can't be the only one that daydreams about a curriculum that doesn't exist. Here is what I would love to see:

1. Secular (see #6)

2. Anthropology base (Sonlight - history base, Geomatters - geography base)

3. Critical Thinking / Philosophy - you are studying artifacts, people and their cultures.... that is just fertile ground for epistemology...

4. The LA would tie in the linguistics of anthropology

5. The geography would tie directly to the culture. ex) see how these mountains force the people to be self-sufficient...

6. World Religion focus - as this is closely ties to culture. High school would read large portions of many sacred texts

8. Emphasis on community service. "what can you do to make a difference"

9. Literature based

There is more to it but I'll stop for now. Tell me what you would LOVE to see. :D

The religion curriculum I haven't written yet already done.

The local history curriculum I haven't even begun researching because I don't yet know where "local" will be, already done.

And a decent curriculum on Aboriginal Australia. There are bits and pieces being made, but it'll probably take another decade before they evolve into something we can fall in love with. But that's ok because I have a decade. :)

Rosie

4. The LA would tie in the linguistics of anthropology

5. The geography would tie directly to the culture. ex) see how these mountains force the people to be self-sufficient...

Oh, wow! *I* would love to read books like these. I LOVE reading about how languages influence each other and change over the course of the years; esp. how a clash or blend of cultures influences language patterns.

8. Emphasis on community service. "what can you do to make a difference"

9. Literature based

Okay, these two already exist, separately. I believe the IB curriculum emphasizes community service.

And there are about a hundred literature-based curricula, some of them easy to secularize.

Okay, these two already exist, separately. I believe the IB curriculum emphasizes community service.

And there are about a hundred literature-based curricula, some of them easy to secularize.

I use Sonlight quite a bit and I do secularize it. :tongue_smilie: What is IB? Wait, is it this: http://www.ibo.org/ ?

Edited by krisperry

A Catholic history and literature spine that can compete with Tapestry of Grace, Sonlight, Veritas Press and the other big-name Protestant publishers. The few lit-heavy Catholic resources out there just aren't as comprehensive, attractive, or user-friendly.

A Catholic history and literature spine that can compete with Tapestry of Grace, Sonlight, Veritas Press and the other big-name Protestant publishers. The few lit-heavy Catholic resources out there just aren't as comprehensive, attractive, or user-friendly.

:iagree::iagree:

A world religion course - literature based with readings from the different texts each religion uses. I want it so badly for my children, but the thought of having to compile it all (in my non-existent free time) gives me nightmares. I'm really hoping someone much smarter than me comes along in the next year or two and does it for me so that I don't have to. :001_smile:

I'd like to see a variety of things:

For instance...

1. A secular lower-grades all-in-one LA program formatted like CLE (spiral with small chunks)

2. Religion and Bible study from a secular perspective

3. Linguistics for kids

4. LOF without the answers right in the middle of the 'your-turn-to-play'...

I'm sure I can think of more... that's just what I have on my mind right now.

I thought of another one...

I'd like to see a middle school writing program that gave the background information for essays... maybe along the lines of the Document Based Questions that were on the AP tests... where students could read some primary source material and evaluate both sides of an issue and then pick quotations or other evidence that could help lead them to formulate and defend their thesis.

A complete, not watered down or changed, Charlotte Mason curriculum with newsletters sent out like the PNEU, all including vibrant, relevant, modern literature alongside the classics. Oh, and free teacher training. Most likely from Child Light USA. Something I could truly fall back on in case I needed a boxed curriculum. Non denominational a must - secular or Christian, but Bible portions could be left out for secular folks. Customizable.

Edited by sagira

secular TOG, starting with the evolution

SWB's 2 volume Story of America (with AG, of course) :tongue_smilie:

Funny you should mention that. Charlotte Mason stressed the importance of teaching the most current science to children, and she specifically mentioned evolution.

I'm dreaming about "open source", collaborative curriculum projects, which could generate curriculums that could be sliced-'n'-diced to meet various requirements: by grade level, by secular/religious content type, by spiral/mastery curriculum, or what have you; which would be designed up front to support individualized learning techniques like curriculum compacting; which could be mapped to state standards; which could aggregate information available from other sources like khanacademy.org, watchknowlearn.org, etc.; etc. etc. etc.

I wish there were a curriculum set up like HOD-open and go with the daily boxes building independence over time. I want the curriculum starting with (K or 1) overview of Biblical and American History-like LHFHG . Then in the second guide (1st or 2nd grade) it should go straight into the 4 year cycle incorporating a spine like SOTW or MOH with easy to do projects. I wouldn't even mind if the first rotation were done in 3 years with a year plugged in afterwards for Countries and Cultures as a "filler year" for kids who started the first rotation in 1st grade. That way kids who started late in the first rotation had a chance to "catch up". Then, for Science-add in Apologia or Noeo Science with easy projects. It would also need to incorporate art/music appreciation and technique, poetry, and Latin. I would keep the story times in the lower guides from different genres but leave LA and Math open to fill in as needed since skills can fluctuate so much. This plan needs to be on a 4 day/wk schedule to leave room for co-ops, holiday projects, unit studies, etc, or catch up time... So maybe I want TOG with that and all my other subjects pre-planned for me on a 4 day a week schedule. Maybe I'll have to create my own one day.

I wish there was such thing as a music curriculum for mothers who are not musical and are still scarred by having to stop learning to read music (he was a musician, not a REAL teacher) and spend the next six years singing "Juicy, juicy green grass." I can still remember the words to that dumb song decades later. Quite possibly, if they'd spent that time continuing to teach me to read music, I'd be able to. :glare:

Perhaps this dream curriculum hasn't been written because it is impossible. :p

Rosie