Menu

How do You Implement "Art of Argument"?

I got my AoA books the other day and they look really good. It's sad how little I know about the logical fallacies given that I was an honors student at a well-respected high school and attended a top university :blushing:

I'm self-educating now and intend to start DD on it in the fall. I'm not sure how to implement it, however. I can tell that it is a book I will need to sit and discuss with her like MCT, but if I plan on doing it twice per week, is it reasonable to assume that we can get through one fallacy per week?

I just broke it down by how many pages he had to read a week to finish in 36 weeks, more or less. Twice a week he reads, answers questions if needed. Sometimes those days are review or tests. But twice a week works for us. Oh, and he types the fallacy and definition into quizlet to help study them. We are taking a full year to do it, rather than the semester they suggest.

Do you find the teacher book is necessary? Anyone using the DVDs?

I don't use the DVDs. I only use the teacher book to make copies of the chapter tests. If I weren't reading it with my son, I might need the TM for the answers, but as I read along, I'm up on the same things he is.

. . . but did get the TM's. I'm a bit disappointed that the TM's don't have more guidance. They basically are just a copy of the student book with the answers filled in, and some tests.

So true. The only advantage with the TM is to save a bit of time answering the questions. They're generally not that hard though. I've made do with a mis-matched set. I have the current edition of the TM and the previous edition of the book itself.

We do it twice a week. My DS works mostly independently on Tuesdays and then presents his findings on Thursdays. That's when he supports his answers and we have our discussions. I didn't do it that way at first, and the study wasn't nearly as valuable.

I only used the TM and we went through it together. Dd really enjoyed this program and we easily finished it in a semester. She kept a list of what fallacies she would find. Going shopping became a treasure hunt for fallacies. Watching the super bowl commercials and pointing out the fallacies was great fun for her....