Menu

Any Sheltie owners here?

I have a a Sheltie. We bought her from a breeder though, so she's purebred or whatever you call it. She's too big to be a show dog. We love her. She is the sweetest, most trainable dog ever! We always had mutts from the pound before, but Tillie, our Sheltie is so much easier than any other dog we've ever had. So now we are big Sheltie fans.

I have a a Sheltie. We bought her from a breeder though, so she's purebred or whatever you call it. She's too big to be a show dog. We love her. She is the sweetest, most trainable dog ever! We always had mutts from the pound before, but Tillie, our Sheltie is so much easier than any other dog we've ever had. So now we are big Sheltie fans.

Yes, this. I could have written it and just changed the dog's name. Our Sheltie practically trained himself. He's such a sweet dog and always eager to please. I've said before that he's the kind of dog who would hide under your porch because he loves you. :D We're definitely Sheltie fans now too.

Dingo will be 8 in July.

post-2342-13535086442866_thumb.jpg

post-2342-13535086443113_thumb.jpg

post-2342-13535086442866_thumb.jpg

post-2342-13535086443113_thumb.jpg

I have two and one who has crossed the rainbow bridge.

They are incredibly loyal and intelligent to a fault... meaning, my 2 yr old sheltie does everything she CAN get away with. Constancy is a MUST.

Also, the one who crossed the rainbow bridge was an incredible herder. My children where toddlers and preschoolers when we got him, if they or their friends ran, he chased them and tried to herd them by nipping on their clothing... never got their skin, but scared some kiddos. I used to tell them all when they came over, "now remember, the dogs know the rules and if you run in the house, they are going to grab your clothes and slow you down, make sure you run OUTSIDE."

Outside they are on a lead or in a small fenced in area. So, running outside was never an issue.

• 3 weeks later...
Yes, this. I could have written it and just changed the dog's name. Our Sheltie practically trained himself. He's such a sweet dog and always eager to please. I've said before that he's the kind of dog who would hide under your porch because he loves you. :D We're definitely Sheltie fans now too.

Dingo will be 8 in July.

What a handsome photo of your son and Dingo. They're both adorable! Shelties were just made for agility, weren't they? Our 3 year old girl seems to have wings on her feet, but we haven't started working agility with her because she spooks so easily around other dogs. I keep hoping that she will mellow out a bit....but then we might loose the speed. *sigh*

What a handsome photo of your son and Dingo. They're both adorable! Shelties were just made for agility, weren't they? Our 3 year old girl seems to have wings on her feet, but we haven't started working agility with her because she spooks so easily around other dogs. I keep hoping that she will mellow out a bit....but then we might loose the speed. *sigh*

Thank you. Dingo loves his boy. :001_smile: He was 5 when ds started doing agility with him, so maybe yours will be ready in a few years.

• 1 year later...
Guest ShelsShelties

I have a 3 yr old Sheltie Mix and a 10 week old purebred Sheltie. They are both such sweet natured dogs. My 3 tr old "Bodie" is amazingly agile and excels at jumping high in the air to catch balls & frisbees...I'm going to enroll him in agility classes soon. Once my 10 week old "Roo" gets a bit older I will enroll him as well. I'm not sure how to post pics of them on here. It won't allow me to paste :( Anyone know?

I grew up with a Sheltie, and she was the BEST and smartest dog anyone could ever want.  Had her 16 years.  Would have one now, but my allergies got worse as I grew older.  We have a Bichon Frise now...intelligence?  Eh...not as much :-)  But super, super loving and sweet temperament.

I grew up with Shelties too. My mom doesn't breed any more because she's almost 80, but she still shows in obedience and agility and my "little sisters" take such good care of her that she's able to stay in her own home.

They are the.best.dogs.ever, imnsho, but they aren't low maintenance and I've never been in a position as an adult to give one the kind of attention they deserve and that it sounds like Zoe and Dingo are getting.

Congratulations!