Menu

Does your family make up nicknames for food?

When dd was a toddler, she would ask for "ice-cold cocoa" (chocolate milk) because of a book where snowman moms fix the treat for their kids. Around the same age, she developed a taste for "ketchup soup" (tomato soup.) I offered tomato soup for lunch one afternoon, and she declined, so I offered ketchup soup, which she gobbled up! She's 7 now, but still slips sometimes and asks for ketchup soup!

-Robin

My dad makes "Brillo Bean Surprise" soup (never the same twice, except for the crunchy bean part).

Muenster Cheese is Monster Cheese in my home.

When my dd was little and would only eat chicken nuggets, I told her the cut up steak on her plate was "brown chicken nuggets." She knows it's steak now --

Hot dogs are "dog dogs"

And chicken that is on the bone is "chicken chicken" -- because it's "real"

:drool5::drool5:My friend used to say that green beans were green french fries.

Green beans were called grass here for a long time. It started when my dd was about 3-4 and she told her Sunday school teacher that her dad ate grass. Took awhile to figure out what she was talking about.

When Luke was little I guess we ate a lot of mayonnaise and encouraged him to do the same. Just after he started talking he asked for "more good please," referring to the mayonnaise!

Around here the mayo is referred to as Jeffrey's Sauce.

Apparently, my nephew noticed early on that mayonnaise was the condiment of choice for his older cousin and for some time refused to eat his meals without a side of Jeffrey's Sauce.

When I was a kid, my brother would make gigantic sandwiches, and once my mom said, " You've got everything in there but the kitchen sink!" After that, any time we had "build your own sandwiches" for dinner, they were called "Kitchen Sink sandwiches." My mom still calls them that.