Menu

How many classical hsers w/ 6+ kiddos?

stm4him

I feel like there are not many of us. I must admit that homeschooling this way is harder than other methods but I'm so committed to it that I can't imagine doing it any other way anymore. I'm sure part of it is how close together my children are but I'm having a hard time imagining us managing much more than this and continuing our educational plans. I am moving toward more and more large family friendly (at least in method if not in cost) curricula (CC, LOE, self-paced history, simple nature study for science most of the year, independent programs for Latin and Greek, less crafts) but there are some things I don't think I want to give up (Saxon being the main one that is teacher intensive and individual). And no matter what curricula you do there is always the correcting, correcting, correcting! Anyway, I guess I'm just hoping to be encouraged that there are other moms doing this style of education with a large family! Otherwise I might just have to write a book about it.....lol.

Me!

I have six kiddos. I use some pretty teacher intensive curricula, but I just can't bring myself to change that. I love being involved, especially in math with the kids. I have tried numerous curricula over the years, and I finally feel like I'm settled and know what is good for us curricula wise. My oldest is starting high school and because of the age difference she has always done her own separate curricula. She is currently using K12 through a virtual school and really likes it. She will attending a hybrid high school program next year so it should get interesting. (She'll be in class 2-3 days a week.)

There are some out there that homeschool many at least semi-classically.

I have six, ranging from toddler to teen. Classical is the model we base our homeschool on.

Mine each have math, grammar, spelling, literature and writing on their own particular level. The oldest two use the same texts for science, Latin and history, but usually work independently in those subjects. The younger two are combined for science and history, and have their own Latin. They're all studying the same topics in history within the same week, but I don't line them up more than that. That lets us do related projects and field trips together.

The younger two are 4 and 1.5. At this point, I intend to let the fifth one be a tag-along with the younger two students until the baby is big enough to share some subjects with her.

I guess I qualify, though I'm not a WTM purist, it is definitely my main inspiration. I try to use a mix of teacher intensive and independent stuff, though I find I keep up better with kiddos and grading when I'm more hands on.

We're expecting number 7 this summer and my five year old will move from reading lessons and a little math to actual school lessons, all of which makes me feel a little crazy to imagine. Making detailed daily plans, but no time schedule is how we best make through our days.

I have seven, and we are definitely classical. My husband is a Latin high school teacher. I have one freshman and one eighth grader. The older kids are pretty independent, otherwise it would not be possible, and even so I always feel like I am not keeping up with everything I should be doing in order to "classically" educate them. However, the oldest two are reading the Great Books and in Latin III and doing well in math, which was what we hoped they would be able to do at that age. Well see about the next two!

I have often thought that if I were to choose the educational method that would allow me to relax and never stress about life and education with my seven children, it would not be the classical method. I can see why large families choose other methods.

OP, you HAVE to go with independent options for many subjects for the older kids--and I think it is good for them. Tutoring the younger kids is a great way for them to consolidate what they have learned as well.

Making detailed daily plans, but no time schedule is how we best make through our days.

This! I've found it vital to have a weekly spread with everyone's lessons on it. Having the big crew on one sheet and the little crew on another is madness.

See, I'm thinking it is easier when I don't plan but instead choose things which are so obviously open and go. But when my kids get into Challenge I'll probably need them to have very detailed lists so I can hold them accountable and not lose track of what they're supposed to be doing. But I think part of that varies by what state you're in. If I lived in a state where I had to report lots of info on our school I'd go insane......

I have 7, and school 5 at this time.

I combine, combine, combine, but I expect each child to work to their own capabilities. Obviously things like Math aren't combined, but they all do math at the same time, grammar isn't the same, but they do it at the same time.

I do plan out what we're doing in the sense of how I want to blend it all together and lead them to the connections (ie philosophy/Aristotle on friendships while reading Macbeth and talking about what true friends Macbeth had, if he was truly Banquo's and Duncan's friend, loyalty and all)-but I don't write out a detailed list on who is doing what-we open and go. I don't ahve them come to me to correct and check-I actively teach as much as I possibly can.

:lurk5: I'm pretty sure we're done at 3, but I love to hear medium/large family logistics. And it may be helpful for our little brood.

:iagree: Even though I consider myself a CM schooler, CM and classical are close. I figure any tips that work for 6 children should work for 3, right? At least that's the logic :lurk5:

We have six now and plan to continue classical education as long as we are homeschooling. Which seems like forever right now. :)

Making detailed daily plans, but no time schedule is how we best make through our days.

This is us right now! I feel like I am just surviving, but it seems to be working. Last fall (before baby #6 arrived) we had a schedule for school days. I needed it so I would get one on one time done with the three oldest. Now, I get one on one time done when baby is sleeping or nursing. Everything else is done on their own.

We will be adding another into the mix next fall. Hopefully, baby will have more of a routine to work around by then.

I've only got 5, but they're all school age right now. And we do Saxon ;). It's possible, but exhausting. Just be consistent, and keep plodding forward. At least, that's what I tell myself :001_smile:.

lol, ONLY five. just only five. I do it too, but sometimes it just strikes me how our 'normal' is so not normal.

My hat is off to you ladies (maybe I should say "my hats", since I wear so many of them in the course of a day!?).

I couldn't even do three when my youngest was a preschooler. Seemed like my mind could span the 5 year age difference between oldest and #3, but could not stretch to include a little one again, so #4 got the short end of the stick.

Naturally, he's a better reader than two of his hovered-over sibs were at the same age and better at math besides. So the short end of the stick worked out well for him :001_smile:

It's nice to see so many of you holding fast!

I have 7, and school 5 at this time.

I combine, combine, combine, but I expect each child to work to their own capabilities. Obviously things like Math aren't combined, but they all do math at the same time, grammar isn't the same, but they do it at the same time.

I do plan out what we're doing in the sense of how I want to blend it all together and lead them to the connections (ie philosophy/Aristotle on friendships while reading Macbeth and talking about what true friends Macbeth had, if he was truly Banquo's and Duncan's friend, loyalty and all)-but I don't write out a detailed list on who is doing what-we open and go. I don't ahve them come to me to correct and check-I actively teach as much as I possibly can.

This is us too. I try to be actively engaged in their learning. We talk A LOT!

I'm another planner with no daily schedule. I print out lists for the week for each kid (combining on non-skill subjects). I do turns with them as each is ready to work with me. They know that they are supposed to work on individual subjects, do their chores, or at least find something quiet and non-destructive to do if they are not working with me. :)

It's good to know that there are a handful of us crazy ladies out there who still plan on continuing down this path. Do any of you do CC? Just curious.....The cost can really add up for a large family but I think it is worth it! It has brought so much unity to our family this year....