Menu

Writing program for a reluctant writer?

m0mmaBuck

DS10 does not like to write. He struggles with spelling (we are working on that) and typically chooses short, choppy, uninteresting sentences to minimize his spelling errors. His writing has gotten better this year (as has his spelling) but so I would like to start some sort of more formal writing program with him in the fall.

Currently we do copywork and narrations from history, science and literature. We do research papers (take notes from sources and then write 1-2 page summaries). We do some journaling. He writes one book report per week. We use R&S English and Spelling Power alongside LLATL for LA. We have tried WWE (horrible for DS) but no other formal writing programs.

Suggestions?

DS10 does not like to write. He struggles with spelling (we are working on that) and typically chooses short, choppy, uninteresting sentences to minimize his spelling errors. His writing has gotten better this year (as has his spelling) but so I would like to start some sort of more formal writing program with him in the fall.

Currently we do copywork and narrations from history, science and literature. We do research papers (take notes from sources and then write 1-2 page summaries). We do some journaling. He writes one book report per week. We use R&S English and Spelling Power alongside LLATL for LA. We have tried WWE (horrible for DS) but no other formal writing programs.

Suggestions?

I like what you do already... except for the journaling. :ack2: But whatever works for you. :D

One thing that is working for us is studied dictation ala Charlotte Mason.

Another thing that is helpful is jotting down or recording my son's oral narrations. Then I write some of it and he writes some. When he writes I am there to keep him on the right track. We can get it done in one sitting and it isn't painful. I record his narration first, not because he will forget it, but to stop him from writing something short and lame.

Classical Writing's Aesop is what pulled a writer out of my previously reluctant ds. I started him at that level instead of Homer, which he was old enough for at the time. He worked with one small story for a week, analyzing various parts of it, narrating, outlining, and then rewriting the story. After the first couple lessons went well, he started venturing out and changing characters, scenes, and such. (CW says this is fine at this level, as long as he sticks to the sequence of events and moral.) His confidence grew by leaps and bounds as he sailed through the lower levels.

IEW

This is what did it for us, too. We did SWI-B in fifth grade and are working through Ancient History Writing Lessons this year. The growth in attitude and ability is amazing. Today ds started talking about how the Empire in Star Wars was like the Roman Empire. I said, "If you write a well written essay comparing the 2 you can earn extra screen time." He sat down and "banged out" 4 well written paragraphs comparing the 2. It had strong topic sentences, supporting evidence, and a variety of sentence types and lengths. This is a child who regularly fell on the floor wailing when asked to write. I cannot be more pleased. IEW is my number one recommendation for the reluctant writer.

DS10 does not like to write. He struggles with spelling (we are working on that) and typically chooses short, choppy, uninteresting sentences to minimize his spelling errors.

Wow, this was our struggling writer DS *exactly*! We put ideas from IEW (key word outlining) VERY gently into practice for reports, etc. starting about 4th grade and that was a help. (Breaking the process of writing a single paragraph into a number of steps and spreading it out over several days, or even just in one day really helped initially.)

What was painless for him -- and actually enoyable to him! -- was doing Wordsmith Apprentice in grade 5 or 6. It can easily be broken into very short "bites" to keep it painless. It is written to the student. It has a fun "cub reporter" writing for a newspaper theme, and some goofy funny one page cartoons of the Editor in Chief of the newspaper introducing each new section. See here for description, scope and sequence, and sample page. Wordsmith Apprentice is widely available, so you don't have to buy it through that linked website.

Jump In was a good follow-up for our struggling writer DS after Wordsmith Apprentice, as it has a similar informal tone, is also written to the student, but is a step up in depth and difficulty from Wordsmith Apprentice.

BEST of luck in finding what works best with your struggling writer! Warmest regards, Lori D.