Apologia Chemistry

BJU Writing & Grammar 9

Wordly Wise 9

Walch's Writing with a Purpose

Walch's Reading & Writing Poetry with Teenagers

World Literature

BJU Cultural Geography

Current Events/Gov't

She asked me yesterday if we could start Italian. I think we can fit that in. :eek: Latin could end up on the chopping block, though - probably not this year, but I can't see doing 3 languages at once. Do people do that? Latin's the only one she isn't asking for, so...we'll see.

I sort of want to do BJU's new edition of Physical Science, since it seems more user-friendly, and I'm not real keen on doing Chemistry next year. But I went and got her hooked on Apologia, so we'll see. BJU's over my head, even in 9th grade (I've done that one before - well, did the best I could and added Apologia - good thing that one didn't care about science!) This one did Apologia Physical in 7th, but it's really not the same scope as BJU - not nearly as much chemistry. On the other hand, she wants to do Apologia Chemistry, and I'm sure we can swing that. If not, I've got a co-op.

Don't ask about history. I'm either doing a year of world geography and following a traditional sequence, or I'm starting a 4-yr. cycle. I'm a fake WTMer, I know. :(

I am still not certain about Jacob's, but until we try out the book, I'm not taking it off my list.

She *LOVES* the Walch stuff. We're doing Prose & Poetry (green and tan - I only meant to do green, but she's eating it up) and supplementing with lots of good poetry.

She also loves Wordly Wise - it strikes the 'competent Carl' in her.

We're doing BJU Grammar & Writing because I paid so much for that, I'm getting my $$ out of it! I don't know if we'll continue with that after 9th, though. How much grammar do you need? (Not that she seems to remember any of it from year to year). We'll probably focus more heavily on writing, literature, etc. I can't think about new grammar programs. If she needs more, it'll be BJU.

Making decisions makes me buggy!

Edited to say: Still completely undecided about history. BJU is my default, but I got a copy of another World Geography (Glencoe) used today for $3. Looks very easy, though, almost like it would be more appropriate for middle school. We may use some of it and do a 4-year rotation. Or we might do something else. Or I might drive myself crazy with this!!

Literature - Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings

Writing - Put That in Writing 1 (*greatly* modified)

Spelling - individualized

Grammar - tried Analytical Grammar, but it fell out of the picture this year

Math - Jacobs Geometry

Science - Apologia Biology

History - (ancients) Spielvogle's Human Odyssey; ancients Great Books a la WTM

Once a week extras:

PE - tennis; swim laps; other

Logic - Thinking Toolbox

Vocabulary - (Greek/Latin roots) English from the Roots Up

Art - Draw Squad (casual, just for fun)

Filmmaking - (casual, on his own)

Younger brother as 9th grader next year:

Literature: Lightning Literature 8

Writing: Wordsmith

Spelling: Megawords + individualized spelling

Grammar: formal instruction: ?; editing: The Chortling Bard (going to try it)

Math: MUS Algebra; supplement with Jacobs Algebra

Science: Prentice Hall Biology (?); don't know if we want to do Apologia again

History: (middle ages) Spielvogel's Human Odyssey; a few historical fiction books on his own; a few (middle ages) Great Books a la WTM

once a week extras:

PE: ?

Logic: with dad, using dad's old college textbook, spread over 2-3 years

Vocabulary: ?

Art: ?

Personal Interest/Elective: ?

Great Books ala WTM (Ancients--this included Oedipus Rex, The Frogs, The Republic, Herodotus Histories, The Aeneid, etc. Work on The Aeneid was supplemented by The Teaching Company Lectures.)

Additional language work with Vocab from Classical Roots and Stewart English

Spielvogel as history spine

Logic: The Art of Argument

Oxford Latin

French in Action

Conceptual Physics

Geometry

Throw in recreational hockey, 4-H activities, volunteering at a wildlife shelter and life in general and you have one busy kid who sleeps well at night.

Literature - living books from Trisms 9th grade AOR

Writing - IEW (as it accompanies Trisms)

Language Arts - various sources for grammar, vocabulary

Math - finish VT Algebra; do Geometry (maybe concurrently)

Science - probably Apologia Biology with the expanded syllabus from MODG

History - (ancients) Trisms (includes geography, art history, and architecture)

Music - continue classical viola studies

PE - continue hockey (basically, daily); baseball (Jan-Nov) at club level; training once/week with personal trainer

Logic - maybe Thinking Toolbox...

Latin - Latin Prep

German - Rosetta Stone

Art - Meet the Masters (once/week)

History, Lit, Theology - Omnibus I (ancients)

Writing - IEW

Language Arts - Abeka, Vocabulary from Classical Roots

Math - Saxon Advanced Mathematics

Science - Apologia Chemistry

Music - trumpet lessons, Pep Band at local university

PE - Basketball team, weight lifting, ballroom dance lessons

Logic - Traditional Logic

Latin

Spanish - co-op

Apologetics - co-op

Public Speaking

Bible Study - Living by the Book (Hendricks)

Very, *very* rough plan for 9th grade...

Literature - WTM-style Great Books, tied to history, which will either be...

Spielvogel Western Civ. or History, A Human Odyssey (can't decide)

Continuing with Foerster's Algebra until finished...then we'll see about what they're ready for.

Writing/Grammar...this is a puzzle. I had planned to do Put That In Writing II, but now I'm leaning towards using an old college book of mine (Writer's Handbook) and Analytical Grammar (took a break from Rod and Staff this year, and I may yet go back to it, but this looks like an attractive alternative). Or...some of the IEW materials. I. simply. don't. know.

Science - Apologia Physical Science. I don't know that they're ready for Biology, and one of our science museums has a group opportunity that would dovetail nicely with it. Dd also really wants to do it, and I'm so excited that she's loving something science-y, that I'm going to go along. I would have liked to outsource their science, as biology, to a co-op, and I may yet do that with ds (leaning towards a science major).

Foreign Language - Taken at co-op, if we are accepted (Spanish for dd, Latin for ds)

Phys. Ed. - skateboarding for ds, indoor rock gym membership for dd

Piano - dd only, looking into guitar lessons for ds

Volunteering - they may continue to volunteer at our church's Parents Night Out, but dd is interested in volunteering at either the hospital or an infant crisis center. Ds wants to volunteer at the zoo, but won't be old enough in his freshman year.

I think that's it. :-/

Here is my 9th grade dd's schedule:

Saxon Algebra 2

BJU Physical World

BJU Spanish (co-op class)

Intro to literature (co-op class)

Ancient History (Truthquest Guides/Notgrass split over 2 years)

SAT Vocabulary Prep with Vocabulary Vine

Easy Grammar

Writing assignments to go along with literature and history (using Write Source 9th grade as a resource)

Choir

Blessings

9th this year (14 yob):

Lial's Alg. 1 finish/Chalkdust Geometry (rest of the year)

Biology (BJU)

Logic (1 sem)

speech (1 sem)

Sonlight 200 History (adding in Speilvogel's Human Odyssey)

English 9 (PTIW, Jensen's Punctuation, Wordly Wise 3000)

Spanish (Rosetta Stone)

Private Music lessons (piano, guitar)

Just by way of preface, I have to say I have a sort-of "love-hate" relationship with PTIW. I really LIKE the variety of types of writing they cover, and they have GOOD information on what these different types of writing include. But... the writing style of the teaching text drives me nuts (seems overly formal and elevated for having been written to the student), and their examples of "good writing" all seem too similar and dull. Also, while it's great that they've included grammar instruction and exercises, the grammar exercises are also repetitive and dull.

Anyways, I bought PTIW 1 to use last year with my (then) 8th grade son, we got 7 weeks into it and just couldn't make ourselves go on. I almost sold it, but decided to keep it for reference. This year son (now 9th gr.) and I are trying it again, but with the folllowing modifications:

1. Dropped all the grammar exercises.

2. Skipped lesson 1-8 (basic overview of writing, components of paragraph, etc.).

3. Substitute own writing assignments from out of our other coursework.

4. Set our own schedule for finishing a writing assignment based on the writing lesson -- anywhere from 1 day to 6 weeks.

So, basically how we use is PTIW is: we pick a lesson on a type of writing; read the teaching text portion out of PTIW, and then come up with our own writing assignments out of our history, science and literature, and take 1-6 weeks (depending on what we're working on) to put that type of writing into practice.

Once this son finishes going through PTIW 1, he'll do Wordsmith Craftsman to help him move towards more independent writing, and then in 11th and 12th grade he'll most likely do writing through an on-line writing course or community college course.

My game plan with the younger son is a little different, as he really struggles with writing. He did Wordsmith Apprentice in 7th gr., and is doing Jump In this year. He'll do Wordsmith next year in 9th grade, as it is gentle, easier to connect with, and can more easily be broken into small "bites" at a time. Then in 10th grade, we'll do the modified PTIW with him.

Many people use PTIW with no problems, just as it is. I think we are less formal and classical than some here, so the tone of the Wordsmith series has connected better for us. However, PTIW really does have good info in it -- I wouldn't have come back and given it a second shot if it didn't.

Probably waaayyy too much info, but hope something there is helpful. : ) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Conceptual Physics looked interesting -- could you give a little description and a review of it? Would like to know more about it. Thanks! Warmly, Lori D.

The book is highly readable and presents physics in a truly conceptual fashion. Personally I have had a hard time understanding the hows and whys of physics, although the math never poses a problem. I wanted my son to get a handle on some of the intuitive concepts before tackling the mathematical aspects of physics later. I recommend Hewitt's book.

Some kids benefit from just reading through he book. My son answered the review questions and did the "plug and chug" problems (algebra only at this level). We also included labs. Hewitt seems to reach out to both the scientifically oriented and the non-science crowd simultaneously, which is quite a feat.

Math: Finish Abeka Algebra 1

Lit: Scholars Online Western Lit to Dante

Writing: Scholars Online Creative Writing

Science: Putting together my own program--lots of reading real books & essays, Joy of Science DVDs from TC, looking into Connect the Thoughts

French: The Easy French 2-3

Logic: Finish Traditional Logic II, Start Material Logic

History: TRISMS Discovering the Ancient World

We really LIKE hands-on labs/experiments, so it helps a lot to know you're adding that component. So, would Conceptual Physics be a nice *supplement* to a more interactive program? And what grade level would you say it's written to? Thanks so much for your time! Warmly, Lori D.

This is my plan for my dd this fall.

Math - Jacobs Geometry

Literature - Sonlight 200 Lit Selections

Grammar - Analytical Grammar HS Reinforcement Book 2

Writing - Subject Driven (finishing IEW Continuation this spring)

Science - BJ Biology w/ DVD

History - BJ Geography

Vocabulary - Still deciding

Latin - Latin in the Christian Trivium Book 3

Music - Piano

Office XP Course

Bible - Positive Action's Route 66

Yvonne in NE

Teaching Textbooks Algebra II

BJU Earth and Space Science

Analytical Grammar High School Reinforcement

Vocabulary From Classical Roots A/B

Lightning Literature

IEW Student Writing Intensive Continuation Course B

Fallacy Detective/The Thinking Toolbox

Speech (taken at our local home school cooperative)

Bible: Life of Christ (Positive Action)

Rosetta Stone Spanish

Sonlight 5

Piano lessons

English - ABeka Grammar & Comp; Tapestry of Grace Literature; Poetry & Prose

Math - Lial's Intermediate Algebra

Science - Apologia Biology

History - Tapestry of Grace

Spanish - Switched on Schoolhouse

Health - Switched on Schoolhouse

Computer Fundamentals - Discovering Computers (Shelley & Cashman)

Unfortunately, I don't have much. I simply picked the chapters that dealt with the same time period as SL 200 and am having him work through 1 chapter every 2 weeks which will finish the section by the end of the school year. I think there were about 7 chapters starting with chapter 7.

He is to read the chapter utilizing the study guide which I purchased to go along with the textbook. When he reaches the end of the study guide and chapter, he will do some of the chapter review (can't remember which part) as a test. He just started on this so we haven't gotten to a test yet.

History: Sonlight 20th c., and a co-op class on finances

Lit: 20th c.

Math: Foerster Algebra (we've turned this into a 2 year program)

English Grammar: How to Read a Book, Jensen's Format Writing, Vocab. from Classical Roots, SAT prep

Science: Finished A Beka biology from last year, doing Chemistry (Zumdahl) in a private school class.

Spanish: at a co-op, "Spanish is Fun." Would not have been my first choice.

Extracurriculars:

Boy Scouts,

church obligations,

homeschool and YMCA basketball teams,

homeschool and neighborhood swim team,

homeschool cross country team,

triathlons,

guitar lessons.

Plans for child 1

Abeka- Grammar, Health, Physical Science

Saxon - Advanced Math

Omnibus 2 -History