Menu

If you are a screen-free (or minimal) home, please read...

The Nook Simple Touch is also great because the big rubber bumper all the way around makes it nearly indestructible, and it has the touch-screen ease of use along with the e-ink screen and user-replaceable battery (no shipping it back to Amazon when it eventually stops holding a charge, as all batteries will). For us, it was a no-brainer.

We're a minimal screen time family, but I would get an e-reader (or two) in a heartbeat in your situation. Like many others have suggested, just don't get the fancy tablet-type ones. A basic Kindle or Nook or whatehaveyou should be fine. I will, however, disagree that they are not addicting--the instant gratification of being able to download just about anything you want, anytime you want it, is pretty irresistable! :D

A question (to anyone who will help). So, if there is a book or magazine that has pictures, will they show up in B & W on a basic e-reader?

IOW, if I buy an e-reader that doesn't have all the bells and whistles, will it have color for any pics that may be in the book/magazine? TIA

A question (to anyone who will help). So, if there is a book or magazine that has pictures, will they show up in B & W on a basic e-reader?

IOW, if I buy an e-reader that doesn't have all the bells and whistles, will it have color for any pics that may be in the book/magazine? TIA

The basic readers are b/w. you would have to get a nook color or other "tablet style" if you wanted magazines, etc. to be in color.

just to chime in:

Isn't there an U. S. Air Force base near Tokyo? Yokota? I am not sure how close. You might be able to achieve access to that through the U.S. Embassy. Then you would have a remarkable library.

Also, English is spoken by so many in Japan, I bet the local schools may have a large library of English books.

We lived in Northern Honshu, by Misawa AFB, for years and enjoyed the people of Japan so much. I think you are in for the best experience ever!! Have fun and I agree, learn as much Japanese as possible!!

I highly recommend taking a trip way up north to Hokkaido for the Ice Sculpting Festival!

An e-ink ereader does not have color. So the pics would be black & white. You would need to get one of the fancier color/backlit models to get pictures in color. I don't do many magazines or picture books on my kindle because of this.

I think that an e-reader that doesn't do other things besides show the text of books is not really going to be a problem the way other kinds of electronic media could be.

I think the main thing with any technology is to think about what you want it do do for you, what kinds of demands it will make, what kind of skill-sets or objects it would replace, and what other unasked for effects it might have. make the best decision you can based on those things.

And you can always get rid of them if it isn't working the way you expected.

:iagree:

If you decide not to go with the Kindle, could you buy tons of used books for a variety of ages and interests, and then box them up and ship them to someone already there ahead of your arrival? Then, as you finish with books, you can sell them - either on your own, or to the expensive used book store. That might cover the cost of shipping. :)

I actually prefer reading on my kindle as opposed to my kindle fire. On the fire, the screen is still back lit and after a long time reading, it wonks my eyes out. The regular kindle isn't like that at all, you can read all day. So most definitely, for a student, just the regular old kindle would be the best thing-for lack of distraction and better for the eyes.

I actually prefer reading on my kindle as opposed to my kindle fire. On the fire, the screen is still back lit and after a long time reading, it wonks my eyes out. The regular kindle isn't like that at all, you can read all day. So most definitely, for a student, just the regular old kindle would be the best thing-for lack of distraction and better for the eyes.

I feel the same way. I use my iPad for many things, but when I want to just read, it's time for my Nook Simple-Touch.

We are also pretty much screen free (except for computers for the adults for work and WTM!). We own two Kindles (the keyboard version, not the color one), and we love them. They are especially wonderful when traveling abroad. There are a few games available for the Kindle, but since DS is not allowed to go to the Kindle store link, he doesn't even know they exist. I really don't see the plain e-ink readers as being at all equivalent to the other types of screens that we choose to avoid. I see them as simply a convenient way to read.

just to chime in:

Isn't there an U. S. Air Force base near Tokyo? Yokota? I am not sure how close. You might be able to achieve access to that through the U.S. Embassy. Then you would have a remarkable library.

Also, English is spoken by so many in Japan, I bet the local schools may have a large library of English books.

We lived in Northern Honshu, by Misawa AFB, for years and enjoyed the people of Japan so much. I think you are in for the best experience ever!! Have fun and I agree, learn as much Japanese as possible!!

I highly recommend taking a trip way up north to Hokkaido for the Ice Sculpting Festival!

Near is relative. I went to Yosukosa once and it takes about 1.5 hours by train. Yokota is even further away. Post 9/11, the security situation is severely ramped up. Now if I could make friends with someone, I might find it worthwhile on many fronts.

Many people study English but even in Tokyo, English is not really spoken by many. I can get by with my very limited vocabulary, but I hang out with ex-pats 99% of the time. I have a couple of Japanese friends.

This is our third and probably our last family year long trip there so we will do more travelling than we have done in the past. Hokkaido is on my list of must-sees!

Thanks for your advice!