Menu

How the Trivium Prepares the Soul for College (homeschooling encouragement)

I listened to this lecture this afternoon while I cleaned. I found it encouraging. (I don't necessarily agree w/his view toward STEM, but over all, very encouraging ) ETA: Oops, should mention that he is not addressing homeschooling in his lecture. But, if you listen to it, you will feel encouraged w/homeschooling as a valid educational option. :)

E. Christian Kopff – How the Trivium Prepares the Soul for College

http://circeinstitute.com/free-audio/

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

I really like the things he has to say about less subject matter and more depth and skill. That makes a ton of sense.

Multiple things.....this lecture, the young children and good books one, my constant need for "stirring things up" to keep from getting bored w/ teaching the same grades over and over, and the fabulous yr my 7th grader and I have had, and reflecting on the best academic experiences we have had over the yrs.....have me thinking about making drastic alterations to our approach.

Our absolute best yrs have been when the pre-high school focus has been on the good books. (Chronicles of Narnia, LOTR, and this yr w/Anne of Green Gables.) As I have reflected on what has made them so wonderful compared to other yrs, it is b/c of the depth/digging into language/literature/and history the books themselves lead us.

It makes me regret the number of hrs my older kids spent reading historical fiction. Especially my oldest and youngest ds.......both are slow readers. Only so much time and the historical fiction definitely did usurp their time away from the children's classics. (not really for my oldest dd b/c she is the type that carries a book w/her wherever she goes. :001_smile:)

But, the part that really struck a chord w/me was the simplicity of the sentiment: all we need is them to arrive w/the ability to learn and build upon a solid foundation. That is the approach I took w/my oldest 3. But, our #4 is so driven that he has skewed perspective on how parts of our homeschool function.

THis yr I have been using an annotated edition of Anne of Green Gables to build an indepth (and incredibly enjoyable) yr around British/Canadian history, poetry, Shakespeare (Anne "speaks" in allusions......there is a veritable treasure of rabbit trails from her speech. ;)) I am now starting to have this rolling jumble of ideas w/glimpses of a vision about how I can build upon this when they are young and have it lead to the classics in high school. (The problem w/these sorts of ideas when I get them is then I start dreaming about them and they wake me up in the middle of the night. :tongue_smilie:)

But, it is things like that keep me energized about homeschooling.

It makes me regret the number of hrs my older kids spent reading historical fiction. Especially my oldest and youngest ds.......both are slow readers. Only so much time and the historical fiction definitely did usurp their time away from the children's classics. (not really for my oldest dd b/c she is the type that carries a book w/her wherever she goes. :001_smile:)

My older two (voracious readers) read a ton of historical fiction, but because they were eager readers, they still had time left for the children's classics. For my youngest, a reluctant reader, I've decided to let up on the historical fiction in favor of children's classics, as it appears 'both' is not an option I'm going to get with this one.

l listened to the lecture on Good Books, Great Books last night. However, I was tired...and couldn't hear him a couple of times (volume), so I may listen to it again. I did enjoy it very much. I found the bit about Pinocchio very interesting...I don't have that book and neither of my girls were interested in it.

My younger dd is wanting to read Anne of Green Gables now (in fact, she borrowed her sister's annotated version because I saw it in her room). I was wanting to cover this book with her next year, and we could then spend some time with it. If we do start it this year, I would love any suggestions you have about your study with your dd.

We do have the annotated version and when my older dd read it I made a separate notebook with poems to study to go along with it. (These were mostly from the back of our annotated version as well as The Wreck of the Hesperus that I added since it is in the movie) I still have this.

I'm planning on listening to the other lecture later...

Multiple things.....this lecture, the young children and good books one, my constant need for "stirring things up" to keep from getting bored w/ teaching the same grades over and over, and the fabulous yr my 7th grader and I have had, and reflecting on the best academic experiences we have had over the yrs.....have me thinking about making drastic alterations to our approach.

I agree. It's like the way I cook. A standard joke is I seldom repeat recipes. It's that thrill of learning something new even if I'll be teaching phonics/arithmetic/civil war all over again. It's the way my children operate with regards to chores. Why not apply that same to their education? I'm advocating "hands-on crafts". More along the lines of different focuses and perspectives towards a familiar subject and framework.

But, the part that really struck a chord w/me was the simplicity of the sentiment: all we need is them to arrive w/the ability to learn and build upon a solid foundation.

Yes, the drive to learn is the most natural instinct of children. However, it is also the easiest to destroy and hardest to resurrect. How many times have my teachers told me "Just accept this is the right answer" or "You won't understand the answer. Wait till you are older."

THis yr I have been using an annotated edition of Anne of Green Gables to build an indepth (and incredibly enjoyable) yr around British/Canadian history, poetry, Shakespeare (Anne "speaks" in allusions......there is a veritable treasure of rabbit trails from her speech. ;)) I am now starting to have this rolling jumble of ideas w/glimpses of a vision about how I can build upon this when they are young and have it lead to the classics in high school. (The problem w/these sorts of ideas when I get them is then I start dreaming about them and they wake me up in the middle of the night. :tongue_smilie:)

But, it is things like that keep me energized about homeschooling.

I hope you will share your glimpses here because I too, have this fleeting vision but lack focus to make changes. The audio certainly helps clarify some aspects but my vision requires more thought on goals and methodology.