Menu

Looking for reviews on Adam and His Kin and...

Genesis: Finding Our Roots. I am looking for an inexpensive and easy-to-use curriculum that ties bible and history together. It doesn't have to have a lot of bells and whistles (in fact, I prefer that it doesn't) as our focus is more Latin and Math than history. I found these two in the RR catalog and I was wondering if anyone had used them and what you thought of them?

I have Adam and His Kin and I LOVE it!! It is not a textbook, but a book that talks about Adam and his sons up to the Flood. Here's a review from Amazon:

Editorial Reviews

Product Description

A rare blending of the Bible account with information from sciences, archeology, ancient traditions and other sources. Reads as easily as a story, yet teaches actual history. Narrates from creation to Abram, encompassing the whole period usually called "prehistoric". Charts, maps and illustrations help to give a clear picture of times and places. Gives insights into the world before the great flood and into the rebuilding of civilization afterward. Shows the sources of all pagan beliefs.

I think this book shows what very possibly *could* have happened. I don't know how this could be proven exactly. But, I absolutely LOVE this book. I've read it twice and could read it over and over again.

I enjoyed Adam and His Kin for the Historical Fiction aspect of it. I would not ever call it a textbook though. It is definitely historical fiction. I thought it was a great read and very engaging but I would not use it to *teach* history. I'd use it as a supplement to reading the early books of the OT.

I liked that it gave me something to think about regarding *how* Adam, Noah and their families would have felt and the emotional experiences they *may* have had. It's certainly more than than just *what* happened to them. I thought it was well written but its accuracy is debatable.

Sorry, I have not read the other book you asked about.

Adam & His Kin is a historical fiction. She embellishes to create a story, there is dialogue included etc.

Genesis Finding our Roots is an interesting read, but again, it is a lot of interpretation of events which no one is sure about. She talks about the race of giants on the earth that came from the union of women and fallen angels. She links the constellations to Biblical stories (this I found fascinating). I think it is one of those books you should read yourself before giving to your kids, to be sure that you agree with the doctrine included, and the interpretation of things, and be prepared to explain to your kids where she gives facts, and what is her belief concerning certain events.

I did it as a read aloud when mine were 10, 8, and 6. My then 6 year old didn't like it--it was too much for him. My other 2 really enjoyed it. We talked about how it is historical fiction, and they understood that. We talked about which parts were Biblical, and we really learned a lot from it. I will read again when my dc are older.

I recommend Mystery of History - It is simple, straightforward, and blends biblical history with the rest of world history.

I have seen Adam and His Kin and I, too, was uncomfortable with the extra-biblical wording. I know it is meant to be an embellishment, but I think it might be hard for children to be able to distinguish fact from fiction.

I liked Genesis: Finding Our Roots, but, again, you have to take it with a grain of salt.

for the posts regarding Adam and His Kin. I also have been interested in this book and had questions.

Based on the responses, it sounds like a very interesting book; however, I don't think I will use it with my littles as part of history instruction. I want to focus on factual information at this stage and save stories for literary enjoyment only- not to be confused with Biblical truth.

for the posts regarding Adam and His Kin. I also have been interested in this book and had questions.

Based on the responses, it sounds like a very interesting book; however, I don't think I will use it with my littles as part of history instruction. I want to focus on factual information at this stage and save stories for literary enjoyment only- not to be confused with Biblical truth.

I own this and will talk to you about it tonight. :tongue_smilie: I liked it, but I would use it with older children if I was going to use it at all. :)

Genesis: Finding Our Roots. I am looking for an inexpensive and easy-to-use curriculum that ties bible and history together. It doesn't have to have a lot of bells and whistles (in fact, I prefer that it doesn't) as our focus is more Latin and Math than history. I found these two in the RR catalog and I was wondering if anyone had used them and what you thought of them?

The very best blend of Bible and ancients out there is Mystery of History. I have used both of the items you suggested, but it is really only Bible - and really a very specific view of the Bible. MOH is truly a blend and is well done. :) We are *so* glad we used it this year. It was exactly what I always hoped other curriculum would be - the blend. :)

I really enjoyed Adam and His Kin, but I would not have my dc read it until about middle school, and I wouldn't consider it a curriculum. I loved it, but you have to read it knowing what is Truth and what is onjecture. I loved it because it made me think about what it would have really felt like to know God and then lose that through your own action (that's a wonderful and overwhelming thought to ponder), and it helped me understand the relatinships between the generations better.

My kids loved Adam and His Kin. They are 9 and 11. It is on the SCM site as part of their curriculum read. It is supposed to be for jr. high and older. For children that are able to seperate fact from fiction. We just finished reading it and will definitely read it over. They were so sad for it to end. Would not recommend it for younger ages as I feel they would get confused.