Menu

Hakim Q.

beachpotato

I plan on using it 3 days a week reading/discussion next year along with SOTW3 for my ds12 going into 7th. He is a strong reader, not so strong on writing, so there will be few writing assignments. I haven't actually done this though, so it may all fall apart once we start. :)

I'm curious, too. I know some do the ten volumes in one year and some in two. I'd love to get everything done in one year, but is that too much for a 13 year old who's not super motivated academically?

I purchased the blackline masters used and the gal said these REALLY helped cement the learning. They look really good.

And I have the Sonlight notes since they're supposed to be a big help in pointing out the more liberal slant...

One year or two... one or two... Decisions, decisions.

We used ours with Biblioplan. Biblioplan has Hakim book reading right in their lesson plans. That said-I wasn't really that impressed with Biblioplan and we only used it for a year. It seemed to be a little disjointed to me. May just have been a bad fit. But it might be worth checking out in case it works better for others.

My older daughter is using the reading schedule with WinterPromise, as her younger sister used WP AS I last year and will use AS II this year. We supplemented with the WP read-alouds; the Sonlight discussion questions; the tests for the series (the ones put out by Oxford Press--they're surprisingly thorough for multiple choice tests); a book called, I think, "American History Activities" (labeled for 8th-12th grades); a high school level text on economics in U.S. history; assorted books on the time periods being covered; and several field trips. I bought but did not use a couple of resources on source documents. We also used IEW's American History writing lessons, and they followed the time period beautifully.

We have loved this resource.

Terri

I used Hakim with Biblioplan for year 3 this past year and it worked well. I think you either love or hate Biblioplan;). If you try to do everything in it for the grammar stage you will be overwhelmed. They scheduled two or three chapters of Hakim at a time so about 5 volumes each year.

I'm curious, too. I know some do the ten volumes in one year and some in two. I'd love to get everything done in one year, but is that too much for a 13 year old who's not super motivated academically?

I purchased the blackline masters used and the gal said these REALLY helped cement the learning. They look really good.

And I have the Sonlight notes since they're supposed to be a big help in pointing out the more liberal slant...

One year or two... one or two... Decisions, decisions.

I have two years planned out for my ds12.

I'll be using Biblioplan which schedules Hakim beginning in the 3rd book (America and The World 1600-1850) and that's one of the reason I chose Biblioplan. (Hey Two Cents! Please elaborate on what it is you disliked about Biblioplan!!) Also check out Hewitt which has a schedule for reading Hakim and check out the elementary and high school Hakim Teacher's Guides here. HTH!