Menu

Anyone ever bought Pottery Barn furniture for kids/teens?

Hit and miss.

Some things are very nice, some are just a step above IKEA.

Look at the joints to see if they are dovetailed or screwed into place. Nails are not good for furniture longevity.

Look the paint, chips on the floor model are a bad sign.

Look how the drawer bottoms are put in. Are they secure and lay flat? If they wiggle around and bow in the middle with a little pressure, stay away.

Look for particle board/chip board vs solid wood.

Look at the drawer pulls ...are they straight?

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

I've bought bookcases from the PB Teen catalog. They're sturdy and well-made, but I personally don't like the finish very much — they're a mahogany color, and the finish is kind of sprayed on and plasticy-looking; you can't see the wood grain much. OTOH, I have a PB pedestal table in the kitchen, which I love — it's very well made with a really nice finish that's more of a deep honey color. I think their painted finishes are generally pretty nice, too.

So... IME, their stuff is sturdy and well-made, but the finish varies. Do you have a store nearby where you can look at things in person?

Jackie

We have one of the storage sets (Cameron, I think it's called) and it has worn horribly over the four years we have had it. The finish is all dinged and dulled, and when a shelf went missing during our move Pottery Barn was utterly unable to help us purchase a replacement. The IKEA Liatorp set we bought at the very same time still looks nearly brand-new. Never again, PBK!

All we have bought are the art tables and chairs. I would say they were above average, but not best, quality.

If you want a similar look of the best quality, try the Young America for Kids line by Stanley Furniture. You will have to order it through a furniture store.