Menu

Latin for 6yo

Oh, I know. There are tons of topics about Latin curriculums and I read them all.

What strikes me is that most people are only summing up what they use/ have been using, but I don't find a lot of "why"s.

Why did you use LL or GSWL or Minimus? And why not the other curriculums?

Why didn't a curriculum fit with your children, why did you try another one?

What is it that made you choose for that specific curriculum?

What is it about SSL that made you all love it?

I wanted to start with Minimus for my oldest, but now I read about Song School Latin and Lively Latin and I'm not seeing it anymore.

Lively Latin is expensive, Minimus is in my mind for over a year now and what the hell is Song School Latin?

It doesn't make it more simple that my kids are the total opposite of each other.

My 6yo is the perfect unschooling-type of child and a real math-wonder, while my 5yo loves studying from books and is superbe with languages. She's teaching herself English, French and Spanish, without me intervening. She already speaks better French than I do... it was originaly her idea to start Latin. I'm a Latin-freak myself (I learned myself how to talk in Latin while I was in highschool), so it's not that I have to learn it with them.

I just wanted to find the perfect curriculum for them. I can buy them all offcourse, but we don't have the finances to choose "wrong". Expecially since the curriculums are very expensive.

So, instead of summing up which curriculum you used, can you tell me why?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of every curriculum.

Which curriculum is great for which type of child?

I use to freak out about every subject, until I have a global summary of what is what. I guess it's freaking-out-time for Latin today. :D :tongue_smilie:

Thanks in advance... :seeya:

Edited by Tapasnaturalles

I am using Song School Latin with my dd because it is only teaching her vocabulary right now. I did not want something I needed to figure out how to teach (I do not know LAtin). I also wanted just a intro to Latin, something quick and simple. We will eventually move on to something with more meat in it but for now this easy intro to Latin Vocabulary is all dd needs.

I chose Song School Latin because it is a very gentle approach to teaching Latin. It is basically a workbook that goes along with a CD. Each new song on the CD introduces a few new vocabulary words and then there are a few workbook pages to go with it. If you look into Song School Latin keep in mind that the teachers manual is not really necessary. I chose this program because my dc love music, it is very gentle for a first intro to Latin, and since I never took Latin I thought it would be easiest for me. After we finish Song School Latin we will use Latin Primer, only because that is what they recommend -only I don't know much about it yet.

I chose SSL because I wanted to start my dds very young and SSL seemed about as watered down as I could get it. Why did I want to start them so young? Mainly because I wanted to integrate a language into our schedule and sadly I just have no real interest in learning French or Spanish. I took those in highschool and college and retained none of it. Latin on the otherhand seemed new (HA) and exciting. I was hoping that if we started off gently on SSL and worked into Latin gradually that I would get over my un-interest in living languages and gradually pick one of those up as well.

Seems to have worked because I've been toying around with the idea of attempting Spanish sometime in the next year or so.

I posted two short posts on our gradual use of SSL here and here. We started out just using the CD and only incorporated their workbook a year after that.

So, with the younger children, SSL is better to just learn some vocabulary.

I have a 5 and 3 yo too, so I think they will like it.

Maybe we'll start with that.

But I still want those reviews of the other curriculums! :001_smile:

About SSL.

I know that the teacher-manual isn't necessary, but when I buy the teacher-manual on the Bookdepository, it's less expensive than buying the pupil-book + shippingcosts somewhere else (they don't have the pupil-book at the BD).

Can you work with the teachermanual aswell. Does it include the same texts and CD's than the normal book?

I didn't try SSL because the kids didn't even stay at the computer for the sample songs. They were WAY to slow. (I think eldest son was 8 and the second son was 6 at the time.)

I bought Minimus because I found it used, and it looked fun. The boys like it. I'll actually have to break it out again here soon.

GSWL because it was inexpensive, had online support materials, reusable and straight forward. Oh, and it wasn't "busy" - the format was consistent and simple. One new thing, 10 exercises. Short & sweet.

About SSL.

I know that the teacher-manual isn't necessary, but when I buy the teacher-manual on the Bookdepository, it's less expensive than buying the pupil-book + shippingcosts somewhere else (they don't have the pupil-book at the BD).

Can you work with the teachermanual aswell. Does it include the same texts and CD's than the normal book?

I received the SSL bundle package which included everything as a gift from the girls' uncle awhile back, so don't quote me. . . but I believe the TM does not come with the CD. The CD I received came inside the Student book. Really all you need is the CD and the Student book. The teacher's manual has some additional worksheets but really you can easily make up additional games if your kids need extra practice with some vocab. They have free resources on Headventureland.com which are more valuable than the extras TG. The website has free coloring pages (which can be shrunk down in size when printing to become little flashcards) They also have videos and games. It's a really great resource to utilize.

If you know Latin, you can always mix and match all kinds of stuff to your own progression and taste, rather than commit to a curriculum.

Just reminding you of that option. ;) I took that route and pretty much taught Latin without following one set curriculum.

If you've got a child who enjoys whole-part learning and mostly self-teaches languages, I'd suggest Minimus as a "next step"-because it's something you learn by reading with the pictures. My DD adored Minimus after SSL at age 6, where she could just READ it. In LATIN!! Right NOW!!! Learning Latin through Mythology is another program by the CL folks that would probably work well for a languagy 6 yr old, and if you're doing Ancients, it would be a good fit (I've got it on the shelf because I think it will work well with World History next year).

I didn't use the Minimus teacher's editions-just the student books and online resources, and I didn't have trouble doing so, even though my Latin background is years removed at this point.

If you know Latin, you can always mix and match all kinds of stuff to your own progression and taste, rather than commit to a curriculum.

Just reminding you of that option. ;) I took that route and pretty much taught Latin without following one set curriculum.

Well... I thought about that, but to be honest, I think I'm too good in Latin (without trying to sound like a brat). I can't remember the beginning of me learning Latin. I sometimes think in Latin, read the texts like it is Dutch. It's my second nature... I just LOVE it.

But I have no idea how to teach the girls.

I can imagine me finding my way in the future, when we get further ahead, but now, the very beginning? I have no idea where to start!

I received the SSL bundle package which included everything as a gift from the girls' uncle awhile back, so don't quote me. . . but I believe the TM does not come with the CD. The CD I received came inside the Student book. Really all you need is the CD and the Student book. The teacher's manual has some additional worksheets but really you can easily make up additional games if your kids need extra practice with some vocab. They have free resources on Headventureland.com which are more valuable than the extras TG. The website has free coloring pages (which can be shrunk down in size when printing to become little flashcards) They also have videos and games. It's a really great resource to utilize.

That's a big help! Thanks!

The studentbook it is, then!

And that website is put in my bookmarks. Awesome!

If you've got a child who enjoys whole-part learning and mostly self-teaches languages, I'd suggest Minimus as a "next step"-because it's something you learn by reading with the pictures. My DD adored Minimus after SSL at age 6, where she could just READ it. In LATIN!! Right NOW!!! Learning Latin through Mythology is another program by the CL folks that would probably work well for a languagy 6 yr old, and if you're doing Ancients, it would be a good fit (I've got it on the shelf because I think it will work well with World History next year).

I didn't use the Minimus teacher's editions-just the student books and online resources, and I didn't have trouble doing so, even though my Latin background is years removed at this point.

Yes, I think that Minimus would be great for my 5yo. She reads Dutch and English like the best, so I can totally imagine her trying Minimus out by herself already.

But I'm not sure about my 6yo. She's not a language-child at all.

Maybe I should just use another curriculum for each one. I think it will do no harm to have Minimus in the house as an "extra" for my 5yo (for in a few months or so).

But then I need another curriculum for a logic/math/science girl who wants to try it out, but is not a language-freak like her sister and me.

We choose Minimus above PL/LC because of the fun factor.

I was afraid dd wouldn't like Latin after PL/LC....

DH beefed Minimus really up and did 1+2 within 18 months.

If DD was still younger I would use Latin Prep from Galore Park as follow up.

But now, language oriented as she is, and needed a tough challenge we decided for Phoenix. The first chapter wasn't that challenging after all the extra's DH added in Minimus, but you can also say that Minimus+Extra's made Phoenix at a younger ager possible.

I think you have the possiblities to beef any currciulum up to the level your children need .

Our experience with elementary language curriculum and a language talented daughter is that most languagecurriculae are too elementary, so instead of all kind fun intro's in several languages I would suggest (at certain age) to chose for content.

At the ages of your children the fun factor is important of course .

HTH

I missed your post between reading the rest and typing my answer.

You and your daughter are a great example for what I want to do with A. So everything you write (on the yahoogroups as well) I always read carefully.

For the languagethings I mostly keep in mind that if you wrote it/use it, it is something to check out :p

I can really relate A. to your daughter.

That's why Minimus was already in my mind. :) I really want to try that one for her.

But I got affraid that it's not good for T. She's really not language-minded. She's very talented in math, logic and science, but languages aren't her thing. I do want to try Latin with her and she wants to try too, but I'm affraid that Minimus is not what I'm looking for her.

I'm just not sure of that all. And the more I'm looking for curricula, the more I find :willy_nilly:

I'm freaking out right now...

Well... I thought about that, but to be honest, I think I'm too good in Latin (without trying to sound like a brat). I can't remember the beginning of me learning Latin. I sometimes think in Latin, read the texts like it is Dutch. It's my second nature... I just LOVE it.

But I have no idea how to teach the girls.

I can imagine me finding my way in the future, when we get further ahead, but now, the very beginning? I have no idea where to start!

Are you a classical philologist? Professionally dealing with Latin?

I am not, but I totally sympathize as I had the same fears... My own Latin beginnings in lower / middle school were so very distant from me, while my high school and latter experiences were much clearer, that I was worried how on Earth would I get my daughters through the grammar stage. I had not one, but several possible follow-ups, as far as the fleshing out of texts was concerned, but we had to do morphosyntax first, right? :tongue_smilie:

I still never used one program in particular. I also exposed them to a lot of Latin via original texts I liked which I then paraphrased, one small syntactic chunk after another, into our native language, and that way they acquired quite a bit of passive understanding. I did this with easier "stories", such as parts from Vulgata, but also with works like Ovid's Metamorphoses, LOL. Also exposed them to things like Carmina Burana, and started much of the first grammar observations by translating those forms of Latin into Italian.

Then I meshed together lots of curricula - much of it "adult" (the only English-language one which I seriously incorporated, more or less, was Wheelock, though), some European school anthologies from various countries - and then improvized in systematizing grammar. Found lots of things online too. They finished syntax with regular Italian school materials, and we did logic analysis of Italian at the same time, so they learned to analyze sentences grammatically and logically in Latin and Italian side by side.

It was a wild ride :D, but I have always felt MUCH more free than had I committed to a single definite curriculum. So, if you know and LOVE Latin so much, I recommend the same. They will feel your love ;), and you will know how to improvize.

Just my $.02, sorry for the off-topic.

Personally, I felt SSL was a waste of time. If you are short on resources, I'd wait until your dc are reading well enough for beginning to learn grammar (and then I'd start with GSWL...). There's nothing wrong with SSL, and certainly it's the only program I'm aware of for younger kids.

Are you a classical philologist? Professionally dealing with Latin?

No, not at all. I learned it in highschool and from the very first moment that I saw and read it, it felt like "home". I can't explain it in a different way. It felt familiar, like I always had spoken it or something. Which is impossible, cause my parents didn't know any Latin at all.

It was very odd.

But I just "got it". The words we were learning were all known and the first texts were translated without knowing what I was doing. 2 years later I spoke Latin with my teacher when the other students weren't around.

I really can't explain it.

I wanted to raise the kids bilingual Dutch-Latin, but I also speak fluently English, so we had to choose. Latin or English. My husband (and closest family) don't speak either English or Latin, so I was alone to teach a 2nd and 3rd language. We choose English, because it's more important in the world right now.

I did read lots of books in Latin to them. Latin translations of Winnie the Pooh (Winnie Ille Pu) or "Jip en Janneke" (Jippus et Jannica), but also the real classics (Aeneid, Metamorphoses, Carmina Catulli...). So they are familiar with Latin. I wish I could've given them more than that...

I am not, but I totally sympathize as I had the same fears... My own Latin beginnings in lower / middle school were so very distant from me, while my high school and latter experiences were much clearer, that I was worried how on Earth would I get my daughters through the grammar stage. I had not one, but several possible follow-ups, as far as the fleshing out of texts was concerned, but we had to do morphosyntax first, right? :tongue_smilie:

Exactly. I just don't know where to start.

I still never used one program in particular. I also exposed them to a lot of Latin via original texts I liked which I then paraphrased, one small syntactic chunk after another, into our native language, and that way they acquired quite a bit of passive understanding. I did this with easier "stories", such as parts from Vulgata, but also with works like Ovid's Metamorphoses, LOL. Also exposed them to things like Carmina Burana, and started much of the first grammar observations by translating those forms of Latin into Italian.

Then I meshed together lots of curricula - much of it "adult" (the only English-language one which I seriously incorporated, more or less, was Wheelock, though), some European school anthologies from various countries - and then improvized in systematizing grammar. Found lots of things online too. They finished syntax with regular Italian school materials, and we did logic analysis of Italian at the same time, so they learned to analyze sentences grammatically and logically in Latin and Italian side by side.

That's what I've been doing until now. But I really need a path to follow now. They start asking questions and it's hard to teach them without knowing where to start...

It was a wild ride :D, but I have always felt MUCH more free than had I committed to a single definite curriculum. So, if you know and LOVE Latin so much, I recommend the same. They will feel your love ;), and you will know how to improvize.

I can imagine the freedom. I will always give them more than just the things in a curriculum. I think that the curriculum is more one for me than for the girls. Just a path to follow, to know where I'm going. I really need that to feel "safe".

Just my $.02, sorry for the off-topic.

No sorry at all! I was great reading that!

Personally, I felt SSL was a waste of time. If you are short on resources, I'd wait until your dc are reading well enough for beginning to learn grammar (and then I'd start with GSWL...). There's nothing wrong with SSL, and certainly it's the only program I'm aware of for younger kids.

Oh, they read well enough ;) that's one thing I'm not worried about.

My 6 year old is using a mix right now. Lively Latin is his main curriculum, but DH likes to go through GSWL with him when he needs to back up a little (he studied GSWL last year, so it's review) and then Minimus for fun. It's going very well.

We use GSWL and love it!

Why we chose it:

-inexpensive -- great way to try out Latin

-easy for the non-Latin-speaking parent to teach and learn alongside of the child.

-entirely oral, but with a book in front of us so we can see the words (I didn't want something that was only spoken.)

-incremental, spiral approach -- this is a really good fit for my daughter (so is Saxon math, for the record).

-really teaches the Latin language in a systematic way; we have seen other language programs (not necessarily for Latin) that teach things like numbers or colors or whatever, and those are fine, but we wanted something that would translate well into how to compose in the language. We'll move on to Latin's Not So Tough, and I feel like GSWL gave DD a solid foundation. (I could have started with LNST right away, but it was more expensive and just seemed like more than we wanted right off the bat.)

-it's serious but not dull or dry. DD doesn't care for cutesy or pun-ny; to her, that's not lighthearted and fun but babyish. GSWL has humorous sentences sometimes (DD finds it amusing when the sentences translate as "We are poets, but we never carry writing tablets"), but it's not cutesy.

I didn't really look a lot at other Latin programs, tbh, because GSWL just seemed like it would fit us well. I could not be happier with it and really wish they'd come out with it for more languages than Latin and Spanish.

I chose Prima Latina because I'm interested in using Henle Latin in the future. (I like how Henle teaches grammar with a limited vocabulary.) The Form series by Memoria Press breaks Henle down into four courses and makes it more user friendly. So I thought I would just go with Memoria Press from the beginning. Also, my DD doesn't need a curriculum to be "fun" in order for her to enjoy it and do it willingly. Even though PL is dry, it gets the job done. I also like the prayers that are included. Now when my DS starts Latin, who knows what I'll have to do!

I used GSWL with a preschooler because she was a strong reader by 4 but couldn't handle writing, so GSWL is gentle and incremental with a simple layout. It can be done orally which is the only way we could have done it.

I'm using Henle with a first grader because it's focused on grammar with limited vocabulary. There are plenty of exercises and the explanations are clear. Font is small but we're also using it orally. We're taking it very slowly which makes me wonder when we'll ever finish the book. We've been using it for 2 years and haven't even reached page 200. But, DD seems to have a strong grasp of what has been taught, so it must be the whole slow-and-steady progression.

If your DD is strong with languages, she may not be satisfied with SSL or Minimus. There are some kids who don't enjoy the immersion method unless they already know the grammar.

Since you know Latin and don't need an answer key, there are excellent vintage books on google for children.

If your DD is strong with languages, she may not be satisfied with SSL or Minimus. There are some kids who don't enjoy the immersion method unless they already know the grammar.

We have the extra challenge that English isn't their motherlanguage. ;o)

They understand it, but it's still not the same than Dutch. That grades the level down for them at this age.

They don't only have to deal with the Latin, but they have to deal with it from another language. Instead of just "doing Latin", we're doing 3 languages together.

It will work, I'm sure of that. Their English is good enough to do that, but it will be an extra challenge.

I want to use Minimus as an extra, I think. Not as the main curriculum.

SSL looks nice to let them play on their own radio upstairs.

But I'm still looking for a main curriculum.

GSWL looks good, LL too.

What is the difference between GSWL and LL? Advantages? Disadvantages?

After that (i.e. in a few years) I'm using a Dutch curriculum that I used when I was in highschool. Still have the books and I loved that curriculum myself. So it's just the transition in the earlier years.

I think GSWL will give me a path to follow. I can fill that in with extra's from memory and things I find online (included SSL and Minimus).

Think that will give a great curriculum until we can start Phoenix.

That way I can give every child what it wants. DD6 will probably just want to learn it, DD5 will enjoy the extra's (I can imagine her happy face already :) ) and DD3 will LOVE the songs (she's our art-girl.. totally into music and art).

• 2 weeks later...

15 days later...

We ordered GSWL, Minimus and SSL.

Already received GSWL. Still waiting for the other 2.

But we're getting started ;)

It turned out pretty amazing. And surprising!

I never expected this, but my oldest (the math girl) is totally in love with this language. And not only because her little sister wanted to learn it (she's very competitive... the idea of her sister being "better" than her, is unbearable), but she loves it herself. She's even "better" in it than her sister. She just gets it, without lots of practice. It sticks and she even uses it when they're role-playing ("Okay, you can be the nauta, Atlanta, I'll be the agricola *shaking hands* ego sum agricola!")

We're only at lesson 8 so far, which is not far yet, but when it's time to do Latin, I see her eyes sparkle.

I expected this with my language-girl (although she enjoys it too, she loves learning languages), but not with the math-one.

It's another proof that you can't put kids in boxes, although I sometimes do that unconsciously. I have my math girl, who is a math-talent and my language girl, who is awesome in languages and then the little one, who isn't showing any direction yet (although I find her more and more an art-type) and it's my math-girl who seem to have inherit my Latin-passion. I kind of love where this is going. Kids can surprise you...

I'm really happy I opened this thread. Thank you so much for helping me decide what curriculum to use. You also gave me the courage to actually start with it at this age. I'm glad I did... You made 2 girls and their mom very happy. :001_smile:

Thanks!

:party:

So glad they are enjoying GSWL. We started GSWL a couple of months ago (we are on lesson 51 now) and DS **LOVES** it. He even does it semi-independently, of his own initiation - while I'm making lunch, he sits at the lunch table, pulls out the book, reads the new word/lesson, then reads the sentences aloud to me, and then tells me the translation. Sometimes his enthusiasm gets the best of him and he just cannot stop after only one lesson, so he goes on and does the next as well!

GSWL is such a great intro. Absolutely no frills (and no fun kiddie stuff), but so intrinsically enjoyable and motivating to my little guy. He feels so proud of himself for being able to do something Daddy can't do!:D We just got Minimus a few weeks ago too, and he has started that on his own too (we are on chapter 2 together, but I think he has read the whole thing a couple of times on his own by now). GSWL has been a great place to start, and Minimus is such a fun follow-up.