Menu

Phonics Pathways and Reading Pathways

Mandylubug

I have purchased Phonics Pathways and some BOB books to continue on our journey of reading. I have not begun teaching from Phonics Pathways yet but just getting a feel for it. I noticed they also have a book titled Reading Pathways and its suggested to use in addition to Phonics Pathways.

Anyone use both? likes and dislikes?

We have both. Once Button started reading more fluently, for some reason he came to DETEST Phonics Pathways. I do make him do things he doesn't enjoy, but that was something he clearly hated so much we switched to just Reading Pathways, which he likes! Prior to that he had been doing work from both books. We added Reading P. once he could read words, usually once a week or so.

The skill set is different. Reading Pathways is especially focused on training their eyes to follow long lines of text, and to read big words by practicing building them up from syllables. I think Reading Pathways is a good investment if you can afford it easily; but you could add it partway through the Phonics Pathways book with no problem. Some people work through them side-by-side and others do Phonics P. first, Reading P. after.

I have purchased Phonics Pathways and some BOB books to continue on our journey of reading. I have not begun teaching from Phonics Pathways yet but just getting a feel for it. I noticed they also have a book titled Reading Pathways and its suggested to use in addition to Phonics Pathways.

It's been awhile since we used Phonics Pathways, but for us, it was just beginning reading instruction. I would be leery of using it in conjunction with ETC (as shown in your sig line). In general it seems that most reading curriculum present sounds/rules differently, which may cause confusion for a 6yo.

I loved PP for early reading instruction and still recommend it to others. Both ds and I much preferred it over Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons. Once ds worked 30-50% through PP, he was off and reading, and we stopped using it. One would just want to be sure to follow up with a solid spelling curriculum that correctly explains true spelling rules.

It's been awhile since we used Phonics Pathways, but for us, it was just beginning reading instruction. I would be leery of using it in conjunction with ETC (as shown in your sig line). In general it seems that most reading curriculum present sounds/rules differently, which may cause confusion for a 6yo.

I loved PP for early reading instruction and still recommend it to others. Both ds and I much preferred it over Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons. Once ds worked 30-50% through PP, he was off and reading, and we stopped using it. One would just want to be sure to follow up with a solid spelling curriculum that correctly explains true spelling rules.

Thanks for the input with the ETC books. These books were the first thing that made many of the phonics "click" but we are just now finishing book one. I am not set on sticking with ETC if I don't need it but am pleased with how they are progressing through PP at the moment. So far, no confusion at all.

We LOVE Reading Pathways!!! We also use Bob Books and ETC!

We use both. At first I was having DS do one page in each every day. But when his reading progressed and we added in real books, I didn't want to overload him, so now we are doing 2 pages in PP each day and we pull out RP once in a while.

RP is for building fluency and I like the way it's set up in pyramids. I also wanted to mention that there is a schedule that combines the two books on the publisher's website.

We have been using both, but only for about a month now. My son was a hesitant early reader prior to both, so we have moved quickly and are just finishing up the short vowels.

RP is great for helping with fluency. My son can zoom through the pyramid and read the last line fluently, and that has really built his confidence!

I am excited to see how the pyramids will help when we get to multi syllable words.

We have tried a number of reading programs, and I really, really like this one for it's "no frills".

We've been very successfull w/ getting 2 boys through ETC & PP and into great, avid readers. And if I had a 3rd kiddo I'd try it again. We've never tried to coordinate the 2, just did a few pages in each, each day. And never did any of the writing in PP.

We never did Reading Pathways. I don't think it would be necessary. We did Bob Books level 1 when they got to that spot, but have found the following 2 rFREE resources to be just as good. And once they get going w/i Phonics Pathways they can quickly pick up other early reader books at the library.

http://www.progressivephonics.com/~suzettew/ - Free books and worksheets you can print or view on-line that are similar to bob books in that they are phonics based and readable for the early reader.

www.starfall.com - you have to search for it, but they have books you can print