Menu

Audition song question

Well, when I was in high school auditioning for a musical, a girl in class started singing a song from the musical at the end of a choir class, because someone else had asked about it. This wasn't an audition time, but that little rendition nailed her the lead role. She never even had to go through a formal audition after that.

The people who cast a musical are not just looking for nice singing, they're also looking to see if the child can play the part as well- do they sell the song to the audience? Or is it just a nicely sung song. I would say any song is fair game, just know they're not just looking for a well-sung song. They want it with feeling.

Well, when I was in high school auditioning for a musical, a girl in class started singing a song from the musical at the end of a choir class, because someone else had asked about it. This wasn't an audition time, but that little rendition nailed her the lead role. She never even had to go through a formal audition after that.

The people who cast a musical are not just looking for nice singing, they're also looking to see if the child can play the part as well- do they sell the song to the audience? Or is it just a nicely sung song. I would say any song is fair game, just know they're not just looking for a well-sung song. They want it with feeling.

I didn't mean to be rude or short. If your daughter has chosen a piece that she likes and can sing well, then I think she ought ot sing it, whether or not it is from the same musical for which she will be auditioning.

She auditioned last month with "My Favorite Things." The play was Sense and Sensibility and she was told that her stage presence was great and the song was really good but there was no part for her in the play. She is too young to play the older girls and too old to play the younger. The panel told her to come back and now the next play is The Sound of Music. The song is great for her and she has it down, I just didn't know if it was considered proper or not to perform a song from the play itself.

HayesW, I didn't think you were rude. :)

She should sing what she is most familiar with!:001_smile:

My daughter is currently casted in a local children's theater for Hairspray. She sang one of the songs from Hairspray as her audition piece.

The judges don't / shouldn't care if your child sings a song from the play she is auditioning for. Judges are looking for actors that can sing well, act, show maturity, and have lots of ENERGY during auditions.

Does the audition notice say that you can't? Generally, I don't think it is a good idea and as a director, it is something I don't want to see. However, I think the rules for kids are a little different. If it doesn't specifically say that you can't sing something from the show, then you should be OK.

Typically, no, you do not sing a song don the show. Sing something from a show in a similar style/time period. If you sing a song for a roll you are not right for (or you dont fit the director's vision for the part) it can hurt you in an audition. We teach our students to pick other songs.

Now, some audition notices say to pick a song from the show, generally a certain cut. For community and educational theatre, this is not a hard and fast rule. If it is the only songs is prepared with, use it. If she has something else, go with that.

What type of theayr is this? Prof, semi pro, community, school?

Typically, no, you do not sing a song don the show. Sing something from a show in a similar style/time period. If you sing a song for a roll you are not right for (or you dont fit the director's vision for the part) it can hurt you in an audition. We teach our students to pick other songs.

:iagree: This is what my kids have been taught.

Also, if the directors remember her from the original audition, they might like seeing that she has range.

OTOH, it probably depends on the venue. Some groups are much more casual than others, so it depends on who's putting on the show. Many places around here specify the type of thing that would be appropriate vs. what would be inappropriate.

Now, some audition notices say to pick a song from the show, generally a certain cut. For community and educational theatre, this is not a hard and fast rule. If it is the only songs is prepared with, use it. If she has something else, go with that.

What type of theayr is this? Prof, semi pro, community, school?

It is a community theater.