Menu

rental application question

No. As far as I'm concerned it's required.

So what would you do with the name/account number? If you call the bank, will they give you any information? (Since the name/account number appear on checks, I would assume that the bank would NOT give out any info- otherwise all you would have to do is get ahold of someone's checkbook and call up the bank and find out whatever you wanted to know?)

We own a rental property and I have never asked for the bank acct. numbers. I have asked for social security, income, etc. I have reviewed credit reports, but never asked for a banking acct. number or institution. I think that might be excessive...but, I verify income from employment human resources. I guess there are lots of ways to go about it. I would not give that info out. That's just me though. I think that's too much info...but, you could always ask around and see if other places require that type of info.

I know some owners whose policy is that SSN is required, but bank account is not. They tell people to just ignore that part of the application. The reason it is even on the standard application is in case someone skips out owing rent/damage. It is another tool to track you down.

Some owners require it, some don't.

• 4 weeks later...
You are not required to give out your social security number, and I would not.

You are not required to give out a social security number but you will not get the rental if you do not permit a credit check, which requires it. I cannot run one without it. There may be a way to do so, but my service does not.