Menu

Math the bane of my existence

My two oldest kids are not mathy at all, or maybe they are but I just haven't figured out how to reach them. I see birds flying above their heads everytime I try to teach. I'm not great with math but I do ok. We've tried Math Mammoth, K12, Rod and Staff, Teaching Textbooks and RightStart and it all just seems to fly over their heads. We are still working on 3rd grade math concepts. I would really like for them to like math and understand it but that's not looking too promising. Is there some great math program out there that I'm missing? HELP!

My son's school has switched to Math in Focus (considered Singapore Math) and it is considered very good for remedial students!

They spend a lot of time on one topic, and go slow, and they use a lot of manipulatives at school. It is mastery based.

They lay it out well and don't seem to skip around.

I don't know that it is better than something else or the best choice, I am just saying, I would not rule it out by any means.