Menu

help with All about Spelling/Spelling Power/choices please

mom2gracentwins

I'm looking ahead for spelling curriculum for next year. I want All About Spelling, but I know it's going to start off REALLY slow, and I wonder if it would be overkill. In hindsight, I should have used it in K this year, but I was trying to keep K pretty simple and not overly long. I thought 1st was the time to start formal spelling.

I began teaching my daughter to read at 4 because she was ready. It was a hodge podge of what I had and what I could borrow because I wasn't confident what would work best for her and I didn't want to spend a lot of money. She learned letter sounds and began blending them into words and I also introduced phonograms, making my own cards based on a list of the 72 Orton phonograms I found. (I remember learning phonics this way, so it makes sense to me.)

This year, Kindergarten, I wanted something more systematic and something she could work on semi-independently (I also have 2 yr old twins). So I started her in Explode the Code book 3. I wasn't thrilled with it, because it only teaches one sound of any phonogram at a time, but I figured since I was still supplementing with my flashcards it would be ok. I also had a copy of Phonics Pathways, and I have used that for read-aloud phonics practice. It also makes her slow down and read clearly and distinctly before she reads aloud to me. So we have finished book 5 in ETC and I have book 6. We'll start it next week. We have about 20 pages left in PP but we've definitely covered everything commonly seen in her reading level (2nd grade-ish). But now I don't know what to do about spelling! We seem too far ahead for AAS, but I don't know what else to look at. I want something rule based, that teaches all sounds of phonograms.

The reason I'm afraid we are too far ahead is just how well she's done with ETC. I was just intending it for teaching phonics, mainly reading, but she usually does the final page (test of 7 of the words from the lesson) without looking, after she's done the activities with them for a few days. I just don't know what she's retained, and if she's missing out on the rules part of it. They only focus on one sound of a phonogram at a time, so for instance, the -ey words we just did (monkey, hockey, honey, money, key, etc) are all "ee" sounds, no "ay" or discussion of the fact it has another sound. She knows it does from my flashcards, that's all.

I have heard you can use Phonics Pathways to teach spelling, but it sounds like a lot of planning and work :( And I got a used copy of Spelling Power, but it's not as rule-based as it sounded. The lists seem more random collections of words that have the same sound. I do like how thorough it is, covering the 5000 most frequently used words, and I could use it. I just feel like I'd be floundering making up reasons why words are spelled the way they are, when my daughter asked about words, and I'd be stuck trying to think of more examples of that kind of word.

Also, I dictated the sentences AAS recommends to see what her placement would be, from here: http://www.allaboutlearningpress.com/which-spelling-level-should-we-start-with She had no trouble with it. The Level 1 sample lesson definitely looks easy.

Has anybody tried AAS and found it wasn't a good fit? Why? Has anybody started at Level 1, even though you thought your child was past it, and how has that gone? I really want this system, it makes so much sense to me, but I don't know anyone in real life who is using it. And it's a big investment.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Jennifer

Has anybody started at Level 1, even though you thought your child was past it, and how has that gone? I really want this system, it makes so much sense to me, but I don't know anyone in real life who is using it. And it's a big investment.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Jennifer

We started with Level 1 and whizzed through it. We are on Level 6 now. There is no reason to just do a level a year. Start with 1 and go as quickly as comfortable. Eventually you'll probably a hit a level where you need to slow down.

And I got a used copy of Spelling Power, but it's not as rule-based as it sounded. The lists seem more random collections of words that have the same sound. I do like how thorough it is, covering the 5000 most frequently used words, and I could use it. I just feel like I'd be floundering making up reasons why words are spelled the way they are, when my daughter asked about words, and I'd be stuck trying to think of more examples of that kind of word.

:iagree:

Spelling Power didn't work well here, either. It was one of the programs we tried before AAS.

I used SWR to learn reading, and it gave us a SOLID phonics background. To encourage fluidity, we did PP and Reading Pathways. Then I dinked around in spelling, and kiddo did fabulously if the word was phonetical. However, he was not remembering any exceptions (or few), and after trying several spelling programs we are now having great success with Spelling Power.

I think your child too young (6, right?). SP is for "after the phonics". I think strong 7 or 8 was mentioned. We do SP but we mention the SWR phonics and spelling rules often.

We love AAS. Skipped over many of the lessons in level 1, since she was already reading very well. But, did slow down when we got to some "rules" i.e. "ck" is used at the end of word if immediately proceeded by a short vowel vs using "k". There are days when we do 2 lessons because the first lesson clicked quickly and she wanted to keep going. She loves doing spelling and I have to limit her to 2 lessons tops. Plus, you will have 2 other kids going through the program, so spreads out the cost of AAS. (in theory! ;) )

HTH!

I love AAS and what is doing for my kids who are relatively natural spellers. I started mine with it at level 1 for my 7yo 2nd grader and 9yo fourth grader. We are to level 4 and I plan to complete the first four levels in 1 year. Aggressive, but doable. The rules are so useful.

You could start at level 2 but still probably need the phonogram cards from level 1.

Plus, you will have 2 other kids going through the program, so spreads out the cost of AAS. (in theory! ;) )

HTH!

So I haven't quite figured out from the website, does that mean nothing in the student packet is consumable? I have seen that it says you need 2 student packets for simultaneous teaching, so I think I still may have to buy more for my twins. :( But that is definitely coming into play, I'm trying to convince myself the expense would be worth it from that perspective.

We love AAS. Skipped over many of the lessons in level 1, since she was already reading very well. But, did slow down when we got to some "rules" i.e. "ck" is used at the end of word if immediately proceeded by a short vowel vs using "k". There are days when we do 2 lessons because the first lesson clicked quickly and she wanted to keep going. She loves doing spelling and I have to limit her to 2 lessons tops. Plus, you will have 2 other kids going through the program, so spreads out the cost of AAS. (in theory! ;) )

HTH!

and by the way, what did you use to teach your daughter to read? I'm curious because my hodge podge worked well when I only had one child. But by the time I'm schooling her, in 3rd or 4th, and trying to teach 2 to read, I may need something more organized! I'm intrigued by AAR, but again, the expense! for two - gasp!

The only thing consumable are the completion certificate and progress chart. Their old website had a download but now you have to contact them and ask (last I checked).

Try level 1 and you'll be able to decide what to do for the twins after you have it under your belt.

I keep my 2 at the same level and we share the cards no problem.

I love AAS and what is doing for my kids who are relatively natural spellers. I started mine with it at level 1 for my 7yo 2nd grader and 9yo fourth grader. We are to level 4 and I plan to complete the first four levels in 1 year. Aggressive, but doable. The rules are so useful.

You could start at level 2 but still probably need the phonogram cards from level 1.

Good to know!! So it wouldn't be unreasonable to get a fluent reader, natural speller 6 yo in 1st grade through level 2? Do you think I should get level 3 as well, just to be safe? Shipping would be the same for 2 levels or for 3, hmmm....And there is that guarantee, I should be able to send it all back if necessary, no difference in 2 levels or in 3 there, that I know of.

I made my own phonogram cards for teaching reading. Do you think I should buy level 1, to have her materials and make sure I'm on the same page all the way through the program? I'm trying to minimize expense but not at the cost of a cohesive program. If I buy AAS, it's going to be for the purpose of having something comprehensive that takes the burden off me, so I'm not going halfway and still trying to piece together some on my own. If it's necessary, I'll buy level 1 as well.

Has anybody tried AAS and found it wasn't a good fit? Why?

Jennifer

Kinda sorta, and now we're appear to be having good success with Spelling Power.

I loved All About Spelling when I first discovered it. I loved the uniqueness of the tiles, and I thought some of the phonics rules were fascinating. I either never learned them (even though I have an M.Ed) or I wasn't paying attention or something.

I started AAS when my oldest child when she was almost eight, I believe. She was always an extremely poor speller. Even at that age, her spelling was mostly unreadable to anyone but me. When she takes standardized tests, she is at least two full years below grade level in spelling.

She liked AAS, but I'm not sure how helpful it was. She could easily recite the rules and do the "word analysis," but it never seemed to transfer when she was actually writing words.

For example, she could quickly and easily tell me that you add "CK" only after a short vowel, and could answer the questions involving ... but in "real life" she constantly wrote "brik" and "thic" and things like, no matter how much we reviewed.

We did it for over two years when I began to realize that her spelling was still pretty bad, we were only at the end of level three, and the words were still ridiculously easy (given her age).

I was also getting sick of the tiles and cards by this time. What was fun at first was burdensome and annoying two years later.

Also, my second child could not stand AAS.

So I did some research and decided on Spelling Power. I have been doing SP with both kids for about 4-5 months now, and it seems to be going well.

The "rules" in SP are not helpful. I just read it out loud quickly, usually roll my eyes, and then we go ahead. I do not have my kids write them or memorize them.

I think the techniques of spelling the word out loud, "writing" it in large letters with your finger, etc, have been more helpful than AAS was. Her spelling seems to have improved the last few months. She is still no prize speller, but it's no longer Shockingly Bad -- which is what it was even after two and a half years of AAS.

I keep hearing that you should start AAS in Level 1 no matter how well they are reading. Apparently you can get through Level 1 in no time flat if they are reading well, but you still want to start there. I just bought AAS Levels 1 & 2, hoping that we get through L1 quickly.

We use Spelling Power and I like it, but I agree that it's best for an older child. I think the book says age 8 or 3rd grade. The lists are somewhat random but I've recently been using more of her suggestions in the back for extra spelling activities. Those do more to analyze phonograms and spelling and encourage discovering some of the rules on your own. I agree that it works best for someone who has already had a strong phonics background.

Since you have more kids who can use it, I would just buy level 1 and level 2 (teacher manual and student pack). Honestly the cards aren't absolutely essential. You could get away with just buying the teacher's manuals and deciding how to apply it on your own.

Yes you should easily be able to get through 2 levels (or more) in year one. It isn't cheap, but it really holds your hands and is so very gentle. My kids love writing on the whiteboard and using the letter tiles and just getting 1 on 1 attention with me.

We are starting out level 4 this week and can't tell you how much we like this program. My kids can now spell out words they are not even familiar with (today's example was hedge - my dd said "wait what IS a hedge?").

If I were you, I would probably get levels 1 and 2 plus magnetic tiles and cards. It just makes life easier. I even love the box :D I would not get the sounds as there is a free website with that.

You can always buy more levels in 6+ months when you are convinced this is the right program for you. By then the 5.00 shipping won't make much of a difference to ya.

Rainbow Resources has very good samples to look at - click on the picture of the student pack and hit next to see what all is in each level (as far as cards go).

We use Spelling Power and I like it, but I agree that it's best for an older child. I think the book says age 8 or 3rd grade. The lists are somewhat random but I've recently been using more of her suggestions in the back for extra spelling activities. Those do more to analyze phonograms and spelling and encourage discovering some of the rules on your own. I agree that it works best for someone who has already had a strong phonics background.

Thank you! I will make sure I look at those before I make a final decision!

Since you have more kids who can use it, I would just buy level 1 and level 2 (teacher manual and student pack). Honestly the cards aren't absolutely essential. You could get away with just buying the teacher's manuals and deciding how to apply it on your own.

Yes you should easily be able to get through 2 levels (or more) in year one. It isn't cheap, but it really holds your hands and is so very gentle. My kids love writing on the whiteboard and using the letter tiles and just getting 1 on 1 attention with me.

We are starting out level 4 this week and can't tell you how much we like this program. My kids can now spell out words they are not even familiar with (today's example was hedge - my dd said "wait what IS a hedge?").

If I were you, I would probably get levels 1 and 2 plus magnetic tiles and cards. It just makes life easier. I even love the box :D I would not get the sounds as there is a free website with that.

You can always buy more levels in 6+ months when you are convinced this is the right program for you. By then the 5.00 shipping won't make much of a difference to ya.

Rainbow Resources has very good samples to look at - click on the picture of the student pack and hit next to see what all is in each level (as far as cards go).

Thanks for the help, especially about samples! I will check that out when I next get a chance - computer time about up for today!

What's the website with the free sounds? Is it the same as her methods? I am confused when samples says things like "pronounce for spelling" and cost isn't the same as "cawst". I've lived all over, mostly in the South though, but I don't have a bad drawl. But I would say those the same :confused:

Thanks for the help, especially about samples! I will check that out when I next get a chance - computer time about up for today!

What's the website with the free sounds? Is it the same as her methods? I am confused when samples says things like "pronounce for spelling" and cost isn't the same as "cawst". I've lived all over, mostly in the South though, but I don't have a bad drawl. But I would say those the same :confused:

She usually has little grey boxes to explain things like that. It really will hold your hands through questions like that.

I can't find the bookmark anymore, but here is one: http://www.fhbacademy.com/resources/spalding

Also the cards give you an example word to help you understand what sounds to teach.

If you purchase and prepare AAS Levels 1 and 2, you will be ready to whiz through Level 1. That's what we did here. I think we spent a few weeks on Level 1, and we finished Level 2 a few weeks ago. We'd be well into Level 3 by now, but we're going to do other things for spelling for the rest of this school year (All About Homophones; Natural Speller; spelling games).

When it was time to start AAS 1, I sat my daughter down and explained to her that we were going to start a great, new spelling program! :D Aren't you excited? :lol: She was a bit annoyed to be starting with "b" sounds like /b/, but she took it all matter-of-factly after the explanation. I said, "I need to start at the beginning, so I can learn how to use the program. I know you already know this." ;) It worked, she was sold.

AAS is very adaptable. We do some lessons with the board/tiles, some without, some fast, some slow(er). It works for us. After having done AAS 1 & 2 with the 1st grader, I feel confident enough to start my Pre-K twins on Level 1 now. They are doing well with it, they think they are "big stuff." :001_smile: I think the teacher's learning curve plays a factor in when and where to start. If it's your first time teaching AAS, get your feet wet with Level 1.

FWIW, I have tutored with Spelling Power, so we have it. I think it's a good program for older students to work through at their own pace (with less teacher interaction than AAS requires). I plan to start it later, probably sometime during 3rd Grade. I would use AAS up until the student either finishes the available levels, or the teacher needs something less "teacher intensive," or the student is able to do at least a part of her spelling work independently. One thing to keep in mind with SP is the return policy. The last I knew, if you are not completely satisfied with it, you may return it for a full refund. You can't beat that. HTH.

Edited by Sahamamama

If you purchase and prepare AAS Levels 1 and 2, you will be ready to whiz through Level 1. That's what we did here. I think we spent a few weeks on Level 1, and we finished Level 2 a few weeks ago. We'd be well into Level 3 by now, but we're going to do other things for spelling for the rest of this school year (All About Homophones; Natural Speller; spelling games).

When it was time to start AAS 1, I sat my daughter down and explained to her that we were going to start a great, new spelling program! :D Aren't you excited? :lol: She was a bit annoyed to be starting with "b" sounds like /b/, but she took it all matter-of-factly after the explanation. I said, "I need to start at the beginning, so I can learn how to use the program. I know you already know this." ;) It worked, she was sold.

AAS is very adaptable. We do some lessons with the board/tiles, some without, some fast, some slow(er). It works for us. After having done AAS 1 & 2 with the 1st grader, I feel confident enough to start my Pre-K twins on Level 1 now. They are doing well with it, they think they are "big stuff." :001_smile: I think the teacher's learning curve plays a factor in when and where to start. If it's your first time teaching AAS, get your feet wet with Level 1.

FWIW, I have tutored with Spelling Power, so we have it. I think it's a good program for older students to work through at their own pace (with less teacher interaction than AAS requires). I plan to start it later, probably sometime during 3rd Grade. I would use AAS up until the student either finishes the available levels, or the teacher needs something less "teacher intensive," or the student is able to do at least a part of her spelling work independently. One thing to keep in mind with SP is the return policy. The last I knew, if you are not completely satisfied with it, you may return it for a full refund. You can't beat that. HTH.

by prepare, you mean attach the tiles to the magnets? or is there more? I got a used set of tiles - but the duplicate letters are missing. I only have one of each letter and each phonogram :(

Thank you for this input, very helpful!

PS are your twins going to be using it to learn the phonics the first time, or to learn spelling, or to learn both at the same time? I am kinda confused by how that's supposed to work. I mean, do I start AAS level 1 with my daughter but keep plugging with Explode the Code 7? Or just stop, since she's a pretty proficient reader?

Edited by mom2gracentwins
forgot something