Menu

NJ Areas Close to Manhattan

We hope to be in the Manhattan area sometime this summer. Much as we would like to, we would prefer to not stay in Manhattan, since the Priceline hotels there give very small rooms and don't really cater to families. This is common in very big cities and particularly in Europe.

Anyway, which of these areas are easiest to get into Manhattan (public transport) and obviously closest, etc.?

Jersey City - I think this is where we stayed a few years ago. Nice. Very close to Manhattan.

Meadowlands - Rutherford

Newark - not too safe? :glare:

Newark Airport (EWR) - Elizabeth

Secaucus - North Bergen

Short Hills - Summit

West Orange

Thank you so much. :)

Edited by Negin in Grenada

The Marriot (I think that's where we stayed) in Jersey City is right next to the train into the city. You can keep your car parked at the hotel if you're staying there and walk next door to the Path train.

You can also see the Manhattan skyline from there. There are nice restaurants within walking distance and that area is very nice...not high crime like Newark.

Short Hills-Summit will put you about 45 minutes outside of NYC and their are no hotels (that I know of) that are walking distance to the train station.

West Orange has no train station and you would have to take the bus.

Jersey City/Hoboken is usually the most convenient for getting into NYC (path train).

Short Hills-Summit will put you about 45 minutes outside of NYC and their are no hotels (that I know of) that are walking distance to the train station.

West Orange has no train station and you would have to take the bus.

Jersey City/Hoboken is usually the most convenient for getting into NYC (path train).

:iagree:

And, my NYC suggestion b/c we stay here frequently (as do many members of our family) and the prices are excellent -- is the Empire Hotel in NYC. Boutiquey, inexpensive, excellent location.

We hope to be in the Manhattan area sometime this summer. Much as we would like to, we would prefer to not stay in Manhattan, since the Priceline hotels there give very small rooms and don't really cater to families. This is common in very big cities and particularly in Europe.

Anyway, which of these areas are easiest to get into Manhattan (public transport) and obviously closest, etc.?

Jersey City - I think this is where we stayed a few years ago. Nice. Very close to Manhattan.

Meadowlands - Rutherford

Newark - not too safe? :glare:

Newark Airport (EWR) - Elizabeth

Secaucus - North Bergen

Short Hills - Summit

West Orange

Thank you so much. :)

I live in northern NJ, so I don't stay in hotels here, but some impressions:

The Jersey City option sounds nice. The views are great and Jersey City itself is an interesting mix of modern office buildings and old neighborhoods. A lot of office workers commute from Manhattan to JC, so public transportation is good.

Newark. A relative of mine stayed at the Robert Treat Hotel in downtown Newark. The immediate neighborhood was fine, and the hotel had a bus service to the train to the city.

Newark Airport -- I know people who have stayed in hotels there -- its near a big mall, Jersey Gardens, for those who like that sort of thing. But that part of NJ is famous for having a weird smell, something like burning sulphur -- you can smell it around exit 13 of the NJ Turnpike.

Meadowlands/Rutherford. I think I've seen some hotels there, on the way to the Meadowlands Environmental Center. Decent chain hotels, but set in bleak, treeless patches off the main roads. Wouldn't be my choice.

Secaucus/North Bergen -- not a great area, IMO.

West Orange -- Thomas Edison lived here. Some very nice areas, views of NYC from the hills. Not sure about hotels.

Short Hills/Summit -- prosperous, safe area.

All in all, my vote would go to Jersey City, because of views and transportation.

If you are not renting a car, I can recommend a good limo service to/from Newark airport that is cheaper than the airport bus, if you are traveling with multiple people. Of course, your hotel may have airport service.

There's also a Homewood Suites in Edgewater, NJ with free shuttle service to the NY Waterway (ferry) service to NYC. Edgewater is right on the Hudson and a nice place to stay, with a Whole Foods and a Mitsukoshi Market right there, too. Since the Homewood Suites has kitchens, I thought I'd mention that point. Also, the ferry has extensive parking (paid) if you are going to have a car. Ferries run late into the evening there, so you don't have to worry about it being a cramp on your touring style. :)

Other than that, I'd go with Jersey City. DON'T go with Fort Lee, if that comes up on any subsequent searches. Great place to live, but trying to be a tourist into NYC -- eh, not great for someone who doesn't already know the lay of the land.

The airport area is where most of the industry for NYC is. There's no "there" there. I wouldn't recommend it.

But that part of NJ is famous for having a weird smell, something like burning sulphur -- you can smell it around exit 13 of the NJ Turnpike.

Short Hills/Summit -- prosperous, safe area. :iagree:

All in all, my vote would go to Jersey City, because of views and transportation. Yes, if I wasn't going to stay at the short hills hilton.

There's also a Homewood Suites in Edgewater, NJ with free shuttle service to the NY Waterway (ferry) service to NYC. Edgewater is right on the Hudson and a nice place to stay, with a Whole Foods and a Mitsukoshi Market right there, too. Since the Homewood Suites has kitchens, I thought I'd mention that point. Also, the ferry has extensive parking (paid) if you are going to have a car. Ferries run late into the evening there, so you don't have to worry about it being a cramp on your touring style. :)

Other than that, I'd go with Jersey City. DON'T go with Fort Lee, if that comes up on any subsequent searches. Great place to live, but trying to be a tourist into NYC -- eh, not great for someone who doesn't already know the lay of the land. :iagree:

The airport area is where most of the industry for NYC is. There's no "there" there. I wouldn't recommend it.

Thank you all so much. :)

The Marriot (I think that's where we stayed) in Jersey City is right next to the train into the city.

Yes, I think we stayed at this one or another one across the street when we were there a few years ago.

Yes, convenience is a huge factor for us. That, and obviously, safety.

And, my NYC suggestion b/c we stay here frequently (as do many members of our family) and the prices are excellent -- is the Empire Hotel in NYC. Boutiquey, inexpensive, excellent location.

Thank you so much. I'm going to look into it. :D

All in all, my vote would go to Jersey City, because of views and transportation.

If you are not renting a car, I can recommend a good limo service to/from Newark airport that is cheaper than the airport bus, if you are traveling with multiple people. Of course, your hotel may have airport service.

Thank you so much for your very helpful and detailed reply. Copied and pasted it all to go over with dh.

We won't be renting a car for this part of our vacation. Yes, please do share the limo company name if you can, or PM me if you feel more comfortable doing that. I just realized that we land in La Guardia, but we do leave for another destination a few days later via Newark.

Since the Homewood Suites has kitchens, I thought I'd mention that point.

Other than that, I'd go with Jersey City.

Thank you. This is very helpful. I won't be cooking. I loathe it in the best of times, but having a fridge might be nice.

I hear that Oklahoma City is conveniently located to New York City! ;)

I wish. :lol: :grouphug: :lol:

Have you looked at vrbo.com for apartment rentals?

We used them to get a great apt. in Manhattan when we went in December. It turned out to be huge, a great location, kitchen, washer/dryer, etc.... Not sure what price range you're wanting, but maybe something to check out.

We used them to get a great apt. in Manhattan when we went in December. It turned out to be huge, a great location, kitchen, washer/dryer, etc.... Not sure what price range you're wanting, but maybe something to check out.

Totally agree. When I get to do my dream vacation to New York, I am definitely going the vrbo route. I have used it in a different location and no issues.

Thank you, Stacia (and Mona). We might do that. Not sure. It just sounds perfect and I would love to have more space, etc.

The only reasons we wouldn't:

* Every time I've searched vrbo for apartments (don't know about NY - I'm talking other places), they seem to cost quite a bit more than hotels.

* We won't use the kitchen, so it almost seems like a waste, as if we're praying for a feature that we won't even use. The fridge is always nice, but we don't cook. The washer/dryer would be lovely. :D

Thank you so much for your very helpful and detailed reply. Copied and pasted it all to go over with dh.

We won't be renting a car for this part of our vacation. Yes, please do share the limo company name if you can, or PM me if you feel more comfortable doing that. I just realized that we land in La Guardia, but we do leave for another destination a few days later via Newark.

just saw your post. This is the limo service I use:

http://www.airbrook.com/default.aspx

When I compared limo vs airport bus, the limo was comparable - or perhaps cheaper, because the bus charged per person, and the limo charged per ride.