Menu

If you use CLE Math....

4maybabies

We are using CLE currently with a 1st grader and a 3rd grader. I don't believe it needs to be supplemented, but we do because the children enjoy Miquon and LOF.

We do the same thing, for the same reasons. When Beast Academy comes out we may add that, but we would be done with the elementary Life of Fred by then.

We do not supplement, but switch off sometimes to another program....because we get bored....because we get stuck....because we need to focus on one concept.....because I get tired of the program...etc...etc....etc.

We use Life of Fred, Miquon, an A Beka workbook for review or because I want to throw the kid a worksheet and be done with it for the day, Singapore challenging word problems for fun.....We also use some computer games and living math books are great too.

I just try to keep moving forward and not make math into any more drudgery than it needs to be. We are not a particularly mathy family, but I more than see it's importance in an education.

Faithe

I don't think it needs supplementing, but I do have my dc work on some CWP once in a while. My 3rd and 4th graders have been doing problems on whiteboards together. In the name of simplifying, I'm probably not going to schedule CWP next year. But, it'll be on the shelf and they are welcome to work problems on their own time if they want to. (One of them probably will; right now he's working multiplication problems using cool tricks we saw on YouTube; he really loves math.) :)

I'm using CLE 1 with my dd7 for 1st grade and we are using Singapore Stds 1A alongside it. I think the two dovetail nicely. We started with MM 1A this fall, and I felt like Ch. 1 was lacking in instruction and expected too much of the child too quickly. If we hadn't already done RS A and Singapore Earlybird the year before, I think it would have been even more frustrating. I feel like Singapore does a better job of presenting the concepts and is more visually appealing. We also used RS B some this fall. I'd like to finish it, but there is only so much time. We may just slowly finish it as we can. I do like the abacus work.

I don't know how long we'll be able to continue doing both CLE and Singapore. I consider CLE as my base and Singapore as a great supplement for adding the mental strategies. At the very least, we'll try to do the CWP. I hope to be able to do both, though. I'm finding it is working well to use Singapore a semester "behind" the level numbers. It seems to be meeting my dd right where she is.

HTH,

Kathy

I will probably add MM for my 2nd grader next year. But I will start him in 1A when he starts 2nd grade. He seems more mathy than dd.

I often pull out LOF for my oldest. It's fun and quirky. But CLE is 4 pages of math, plus drills, so if she's gone 45 minutes for math I let that be it. I don't think it needs supplementing actually.

We just ordered CLE, so we haven't done this in practice yet... but my plan is to use it alongside the Singapore IP and CWP books. (The original plan was to do just Singapore, but it doesn't mesh quite well enough with how he learns - I think we need a spiral component.) I think the mental math portions will be a plus, and I just want him to be able to learn things from different angles and philosophies. And we read Life of Fred too, but he just thinks that's fun!! :D

We're only about a month in using it and I can see it meshes perfectly with my dd7. Her and I both LOVE it with her....and we have tried quite a few math programs over the past year:tongue_smilie:

However, I can see my very math boys do not love it quite as much. I will continue to use it with them for a while, but will definitely supplement. Not because I think the program needs it, but just to mesh better with their learning styles. I have Singapore stnd., but I really need a program to tell me what to do;) maybe we will try to add that in for variety..

Thanks for the replies!