Menu

Making a butter churn

Tracy

We are studying colonial times, and dd6 wanted to make a butter churn, instead of the traditional butter-making activity. I am blessed to have an innovative dh to help with such things, and the activity turned out to be very easy and successful. I thought I would share it with you.

http://myfamilyiseternal.blogspot.com/2012/02/making-of-butter-churn.html

Nice job! I love the churn design!

FYI, if she ever wants to do it the other way, no marbles needed (ick, that sounds messy!). Head over to The Happy Scientist and search for his making butter video-- no marbles, very simple, science explained.

But I love the churn design! If my kids ever read back through the Little House books, I may steal!

fun fun!

I just made butter yesterday. I use my food processor. I put in about a pint of cream, and a dash of lemon juice and processed it until it was all done. Then I set it out in a strainer for a long time. The whey was great in our Cornish game hen gravy, and the butter was absolutely delicious. It spoils extremely quickly, though.

That is neat! We just made butter again a couple of days ago, in a jar with no marbles. For some reason, Rebecca wanted to do it again.

Amber, you are awesome for doing it a second time! I am not sure that I could be convinced to these types of things a second time. It is all I can do to get myself to do it the first time. :tongue_smilie:

Carol, if you use the method in The Hapoy Scientist website, it has the same shelf life as commercial-- no lemon juice needed. No food processor either (less clean up) just a mason jar, drinking glass, and receiving bowl for rinsing.

The lemon juice is to help along the ultra pasteurized cream. There was none that was normal when I shopped.

That reminds me of my pitcher from pampered chef that I have. I wonder how that would work?

Just today we read "If You Traveled West in a Covered Wagon" and they had a cute story about how the pioneers would put the cream in a can and the jiggling/bumping motion of the wagon over rocks would produce their butter.

I'm sending DH to costco tonight to get heavy cream (cheapest way to get cream and it is organic to boot). We will make butter soon.