Menu

FYI: Rod & Staff ABC workbooks -- skill list

alisoncooks

After our original K curriculum bombed spectacularly, I ordered Rod & Staff's Kindergarten workbooks (ABCDEFGHI) to give some basic skills practice during the rest of the year. We skipped A (saved for little sis) and B is the Bible story book (which we already had & liked). After working through C & D, I realized that we will be doing these books FOR-EV-ER. :blink:

There is a lot of repetition. Had I known THEN what I know NOW, I would've used ABCD last year (4 yr. old preschool) and started Kindergarten with Book E.

Anyway, I made a topics list for each workbook. Hopefully, it'll help someone else make informed choices re: these.

Adventures with Books (“Learning colors and shapesâ€)

coloring

cut & paste

tracing and drawing lines (vertical, horizontal, zigzag, curvy)

tracing and drawing shapes (circle, square, triangle)

colors (blue, yellow, green, red, brown, orange, purple, black)

matching same objects

finding the different object

finding “what is missingâ€

sorting objects (by purpose/use, by color, by size)

up & down

inside & outside

open & closed

left & right

farm animals

Bible story: God Helped David

Song: Jesus Loves Me

Counting with Numbers (“Learning numbers 1-10â€)

coloring

cut & paste

Numbers 1-10 (counting objects in a group, 1:1 correspondence, circling an amount, writing the numeral, matching objects to numeral, matching numerals)

cute poem for writing each numeral

before/after/in between

more & less

writing missing numbers in a sequence

longer & shorter

taller & shorter

ordinals (1st & last)

empty & full

fractions (half)

Bible story: Jesus Feeds the People

Doing it Carefully (“Writing letters and hearing soundsâ€)

Matching same, finding different

tracing lines (horizontal, vertical, diagonal, curved, zigzag)

left to right

following a path

Matching letters, writing letter shapes (no letter sound/names taught)

Matching words

Writing name

color word review

numbers 1-10 review

larger & smaller

listening for sounds (sh, m, t, f, z)

beginning sounds

sorting by use, common attribute

parts of the whole

food sources

summer & winter

Bible story: God Cares for Moses

Song: Oh Be Careful (Little Eyes), B-i-b-l-e

Everywhere We Go (“Time for reviewâ€)

Tracing lines (horizontal, vertical, diagonal, curved)

coloring, cut & paste

colors (yellow, blue, green, red, orange, brown, purple, black)

matching color words

numbers 1-10 review (1:1 correspondence, counting sets, writing numeral)

writing letters

matching the same (letters, words, size, shape)

“Happy Helpers†mini-book

sounds we hear

letter sounds: s, b, w, l

left & right

writing your name

big & little

listening for same sound

manner words (thank you, excuse me, etc)

people & places

Song: Jesus Loves the Little Children

“Friends around the worldâ€

sorting (by use, common attribute)

Finding the Answers (“Using thinking skillsâ€)

sort by object use, where object belongs, common attribute

hard or soft

matching words

count and color

color by number

given a description, find the item

rhyming pictures

draw the missing part

following directions (positional words)

“Jesus Loves the Eskimoâ€

dominoes

writing telephone numbers, names, birthday

what happened first, what comes next, story order

birds & insects

animal homes

how animals move

what items are made from

Going on Eagerly (Polar region/animals)

tracing lines (straight, curved, zigzag)

color words

tracing, drawing & matching shapes (circle, square, triangle, rectangle)

Earth shape, N. Pole, S. Pole

numbers 1-10 review

patterns

animal prints, bird migration

writing name

making puzzles

connect-the-dot

what’s missing

color by number

identify objects from description

Bible story: God Helped Gideon

Song: Gideon Had the Lord

Hearing and Helping (Rain forest/animals)

color words

matching beginning sounds

opposites (slow/fast, smooth/rough)

sounds we hear (animal sounds, etc)

beginning sounds (m, ch, p, g, c, d)

counting, writing numbers

rhyming pictures

listening & following directions

color by number, color by shape

sorting by use/description

draw the missing parts

make a rainforest scene

identify objects from description

connect the dots

Bible story: God Heard Hannah’s Prayer

making a spider monkey

Inside and Outside (Woodlands/animals)

color words

count & write (11 and 12)

100s chart

counting by 2s

how many legs

weather

diamond shape introduced

left & right

large & small

seasons

matching the same

color by number

create a woodlands scene

first & last

more or less

empty, fully, partly full

longer, shorter, taller

sorting by a group attribute

Bible story: In the den with lions

what animals eat

temperature

counting by 10s

fur or feathers

animal homes

vehicle purposes/destinations (log truck, dump truck, mail truck)

building purposes/what’s inside (PO, library, service station)

animal/bird identification

And I know this is a huge list and you're probably thinking that I've been on the computer all day.

I have.

My eyeballs are about to fall out.

But I have a sick wee one today, daddy works late tonight, and my big girl has been playing in a box of rice and watching an after-lunch movie the past couple of hours. :)

It's all good. :D

Did you see that CLE came out with a kindergarten II guidebooks to use instead of Rod and Staff's abc series with the older Ker?

I didn't! It must be very new; I don't remember seeing it when I ordered a couple of months ago. Wish there were samples...(didn't see any).

If a child already knows the numbers 1-10 (verbally and by sight), their shapes/colors (verbally and by sight), the alphabet by sight and verbally; but has no writing, cutting or pasting skills - where would you have them start in this series?
Hard to say because this series builds with gentle pre-writing skills (tracing lines, following a path, drawing a line from point A to point B, etc). All the books have about the same amount of cutting/pasting.

Book A doesn't have much writing (just circling answers, outlining shapes w/ a crayon -- tracing an apple red, tracing a banana yellow, etc).

Book C --which my DD likes-- has a lot of number writing.

Book D works a lot on making lines (horizontal, diagonal) that it then turns into shapes and letter shapes. Also lots of name writing practice lines. So Book D might be your best starting point.

Book E -- this is like C+D but abbreviated. It's a review book, but it goes straight to letters without any of the prewriting activities; there's also less overall concept practice. This is where I plan to start my 2nd child (who'll have had 2 years of preschool under her belt w/ writing experience).

Book F -- not much writing at all and (IMO) many of the concepts are pretty difficult (i.e. matching 7 digit "phone numbers" from a list)

GH&I don't have a lot of handwriting practice, either, but my 5 yr. old animal lover can't wait to do these!

Edited by alisoncooks

If a child already knows the numbers 1-10 (verbally and by sight), their shapes/colors (verbally and by sight), the alphabet by sight and verbally; but has no writing, cutting or pasting skills - where would you have them start in this series?

For me, I would probably start at the beginning. Yes, the work would be easy, but that way she could have time to work on the skills she needs to while not challenging her to be learning new reading skills too, yk?

To OP: that is a great list. I loved those books. They only had through F when we started. My dd did them for preK at age 4, along with doing a light LOTW. We used these for her pencil to paper work. She worked through about mid book K that year. Then we picked them back up for K and she finished through G which came out about that time. She did those through the first semester of K and started R&S 1st grade, albeit slowly, the 2nd semester of K. Then finished R&s 1st grade, still slowly, over her 1st grade year. It worked out perfectly for her. She started 2nd grade this year right on time with their 2nd grade materials.

Just thought I would share that for those trying to figure out how they would do R&S for K. I agree, the books should be started at age 4 for most kids.

I would still start at the beginning, as you would miss some great fine motor skill activity if you skipped the beginning books. If it makes you feel any better, we started with Book A last September, even though my dd knew her numbers past 100, knew and could write all of her letters and had a lot of practice cutting and pasting (from doing the Kumon books), and she still benefited from the series and begs to do the books on a daily basis. :001_smile:

DD loves these but for my younger kids I might not buy the entire series. Our favorites have been C+G for the math and F (nearly every other page is cut and paste). We still have H and I to work through. She is doing mostly 1st grade work and reading fluently, but these are great for extra fine motor practice.

In the future I may pull out the number formation pages in book C and put them in a binder with page protectors for more practice.

I do have a couple of criticisms about the books. Handwriting - it is not enough (or it wasn't for us) to stand alone as handwriting instruction. In addition I don't like the way some of the letters are made. Also I just could not stand the Bible story book. I know that a lot of people like it, but it rubbed me totally wrong and felt very negative and dry.

DD loves these but for my younger kids I might not buy the entire series.

I don't plan on using the whole series (mainly since we started these mid-Jan and I don't feel like rushing through and wearing ourselves out trying to finish them this year).

For my oldest we:

will end up skipping A, E, & probably G

and end up using C, D (just finished these two), H & I

Book F...I'm not sure. Might use it for this coming summer, as a travel/fun workbook. There are lots of cutting/pasting pages.

My 2nd will be using the ones we skip (ha, how's that for frugal) and I'll probably purchase just H & I for her.

• 1 month later...

I just ordered the 2-3 preschool books and the abc series of 7 books today for my son who just turned 3 last month. I think the first set of books will be really easy, but I wanted him to have something to do this summer since he is so into work books right now. I found the list really helpful, especially since I think some of the later on books will be too advanced, so its nice to know now so I can be prepared!