Menu

Hurt bird in our yard

We don't know what to do. It is as large as a turkey. We're wondering if it's a turkey vulture? When we have seen him walking, he is limping/hopping. He's been in our yard all day so he's obviously hurting too much to move far. The only thing we can think to do is call Animal Control but will they just take him and put him to sleep? Is that our best option?

Here's our local raptor center page on dealing with injured birds.

ETA: A quote from the page: "It is not recommended that you try to handle an adult raccoon, opossum, deer, or ANY heron or large bird of prey. Call a wildlife rehabilitation center first and they'll do their best to send a trained person with appropriate equipment."

Cat

Here's our local raptor center page on dealing with injured birds.

ETA: A quote from the page: "It is not recommended that you try to handle an adult raccoon, opossum, deer, or ANY heron or large bird of prey. Call a wildlife rehabilitation center first and they'll do their best to send a trained person with appropriate equipment."

Cat

Eek! I assure you, we have absolutely no desire to approach him. I found the number for animal control. Let me look for a wildlife rehab center.

Also, you do not want to transport a vulture. They vomit when stressed. Start with carrion, add stomach acid and the result is the worst thing I have ever smelled.

As another poster noted, animal control or the police department should be able to connect you with a licensed rehabber. Whether the bird will be euthanized or rehabbed will depend upon its problem.

I would definitely call a wildlife conservation department or some sort of rehab center. I believe that vultures are technically birds of prey so I would want someone else to come take responsibility for for the possibly protected critter.

The Migratory Bird Act protects vultures as well as many other species. Technically a vulture is not a bird of prey. It prefers its meals dead and stinky.

Start with carrion, add stomach acid and the result is the worst thing I have ever smelled.

:D My DDs volunteer for the local raptor center and have no problem feeding dead mice or picking up mice leftovers. However, they drew the line at tending the turkey vulture pen. They held their breath even to pass by!

Pegasus

:D My DDs volunteer for the local raptor center and have no problem feeding dead mice or picking up mice leftovers. However, they drew the line at tending the turkey vulture pen. They held their breath even to pass by!

Pegasus

I too volunteer with a rehabber which is why I made the comment I made. Truly the worst!

After being referred 5 times, I finally found an organization that is trying to help. It's AWARE, Atlanta Wild Animal Rescue Efforts. The lady is going to try contacting some people but she said it can be anywhere from an hour to days. She first said we should throw a blanket over it and try to get a big cardboard box over him. I told her we were VERY uncomfortable with that idea, especially if they can't get anyone out here for days. Good grief! I don't know where he'll be in that time. He's moved about 25 feet over the course of the day, so I don't think he can go far.

I just feel helpless. My heart breaks for animals like this. I just want someone to come out and get him right now so they can get him to someone who can help. It's possible he'll move on somewhere else before someone will contact me.

I have no idea what kind of bird this is. I'm looking at pictures of turkey vultures online and it's not quite the same thing as what is in my yard. The size looks about right but the coloring of the head is totally different.

Black vultures also live in Georgia. Did you check out photos of these birds too?

Oh blast. Within the space of 10 mins, it went away. We went outside and searched our yard and our neighbor's yard and we couldn't see it. I phoned AWARE back and told them it was gone. It sat in our yard for at least 7 hours and now it's gone. I hope it's okay and that its hurt leg will mend on its own quickly.