Menu

S/o screen time limits....

If you don't have screen time limits, what do your kids watch or play that you find redeeming...lol.

My kids love:

Poptropica

Scratch for animation

Lego games

Rocket Math on the Ipad

Ds and Dh are on a Burn Notice bender

I think we are going to be looking for more cyber alternatives for some of our actual classes.....as I think they would LOVE it....lol.

So, please share YOUR ( for your kid) favorite games, netflix shows, puzzles etc.

Faithe

Ds has shot his own video walk throughs and uploaded them to youtube. This involves some technology, like a capture card, that I don't even know about. Youtube generally has a ten minute upload limit. They remove that limit for some (probably after a proving time), he was excited when they removed it for him.

He edits. Right now he doesn't have the software he really wants, but he's making do.

Minecraft, I think is educational.

Call of Duty? He's learned about all kinds of weapons, that may be a stretch. He got bent out of shape earlier this year when we were watching a Macbeth production(Patrick Stewart version). It was set in some unnamed Russian-esque WWII type era. The weapon was all wrong according to ds. It ruined the atmosphere for him. :lol:

Ds did a lot of things in paint when he was younger. He also got a Bamboo tablet for Christmas, not sure all what he has done on it yet.

My 5 yr old is hooked on the documentary "Secrets of the Sun" which is part of the The Universe series available on Netflix. In addition to complimenting (I'm not sure it is complementing!) our astronomy study, it has taught both children a clear understanding of the word "drama." :D "Is that drama Mommy?" one will ask, as the voiceover hints at impending doom!!! :lol:

Where's My Water? and Trial Extreme (motorcycle stunt game) are current favorites on their tablet. They usually work together to clear the levels.

(Burn Notice is awesome! Are you a White Collar fan too? Currently, I'm having a wonderful time going back at watching all the Hawaii Five-Os in order. What a snapshot of the times!)

Oh, P.S. I wouldn't suggest Five-O for someone say, under 11-12, at least. They shot to kill back then, and there's a whole lot of it in the first couple seasons... But, I can see using it for a piece of US History at some point.

Edited by nono

Ds has shot his own video walk throughs and uploaded them to youtube. This involves some technology, like a capture card, that I don't even know about. Youtube generally has a ten minute upload limit. They remove that limit for some (probably after a proving time), he was excited when they removed it for him.

He edits. Right now he doesn't have the software he really wants, but he's making do.

Minecraft, I think is educational.

Call of Duty? He's learned about all kinds of weapons, that may be a stretch. He got bent out of shape earlier this year when we were watching a Macbeth production(Patrick Stewart version). It was set in some unnamed Russian-esque WWII type era. The weapon was all wrong according to ds. It ruined the atmosphere for him. :lol:

Ds did a lot of things in paint when he was younger. He also got a Bamboo tablet for Christmas, not sure all what he has done on it yet.

Our ds's would really have fun together. Wish we were closer. Hence my ds's obsession with Burn Notice :D

My 5 yr old is hooked on the documentary "Secrets of the Sun" which is part of the The Universe series available on Netflix. In addition to complimenting (I'm not sure it is complementing!) our astronomy study, it has taught both children a clear understanding of the word "drama." :D "Is that drama Mommy?" one will ask, as the voiceover hints at impending doom!!! :lol:

Where's My Water? and Trial Extreme (motorcycle stunt game) are current favorites on their tablet. They usually work together to clear the levels.

(Burn Notice is awesome! Are you a White Collar fan too? Currently, I'm having a wonderful time going back at watching all the Hawaii Five-Os in order. What a snapshot of the times!)

Oh, P.S. I wouldn't suggest Five-O for someone say, under 11-12, at least. They shot to kill back then, and there's a whole lot of it in the first couple seasons... But, I can see using it for a piece of US History at some point.

Well, dh just fixed my treadmill, so I am allowing myself a run of Desparate Housewives:D. Only watch while walking...WITH headphones! Lol.

My dh LOVES where's my water. He is a plumber for goodness sake....lol. He says it teaches all sorts of logic and physics....oy!

I LOVED Hawaii 5-o when I was a kid. I will have to cue those up.

Thanks!

Faithe

Console Games

Little Big Planet

Uncharted (all of them)

Tomb Raider (all of them)

Lego Harry Potter and Lego Star Wars

Just Dance

Battlefront

Triune

Rune Factory series

Computer Games

Poptropica

Wizard 101

Netflix

BBC Robin Hood

Monk

Psych

Stargate SG1 and Atlantis

just started Stark Trek TNG :D

Primeval

Warehouse 13

Merlin

Dirty Jobs

Xena

Redwall

Macgyver

Our ds's would really have fun together. Wish we were closer. Hence my ds's obsession with Burn Notice :D

Burn Notice is one of the few shows ds will watch with us... My name is Michael Weston, I used to a spy...

I like White Collar too, but I've missed the last few episodes of everything.

Not sure what you mean by "find redeeming" but here's what my kids watch/play

Wii

lego star wars/harry potter

pokemon

mario kart

wii sport

wii sports resort

Netflix/DVDs

Phineas and Ferb

Harry Potter (our blu rays are used regularly)

Shrek

lots of disney movies

Pokemon

Yu-gi-oh

my dd watches lots of animal documentaries

and their newest favorite The Big Bang Theory (they love Sheldon)

They also play webkinz and lego universe online as well as watch some shows on 4kidstv.com

I'm not to picky about what they watch because they have never picked anything I would find inappropriate.

We have never had limits, and to be perfectly honest, I have never tried to fit shows and games into a 'redeeming' or 'educational' category. I know some parents will let their kids play only educational games, for example. I have never understood that. Games are games and they all have equal value in my mind.

My answer may be different from people with small kids. Mine are all high school age now. My son plays rated 'M' games and my dd13 watches some pretty adult shows with me and DH.

Our current thing is the tv show Big Bang Theory. Hilarious! We get the discs from Netflix. It's something I'm considering purchasing because the shows are so funny.

we kind of feel the same way the poster above me posted (NIGHT ELF)-games are games-educational or not....my kid has learned the computer by basicly DOING things on the computer-games online or watching youtube-I swear I have a budding techno-genius on my hands :D might not be educational,but my kiddo has learned lots from what he plays-and he will watch anything from shows about the solar system to just crazy videos on youtube LOL-

netflix

minecraft

roblox

little big planet

wii

xbox

ps3

psvita

gameboy ds(recently lost interest)

Time 4 Learning

discovery channel

animal planet