Menu

Best site for butterfly larvae?

mamakimberly

I'm wanting to do a little butterfly study.

Does anyone have a site they recommend for ordering butterfly larvae and, um, butterfly stuff?

I prefer one that someone has used and had success with in the past.

Also, I prefer one where you get it all at once- not the ones where you have to order the kit and then send off for the larvae later.

Thanks in advance!

We ordered from this company several years ago when I was on the steering team for my church's MOPS ministry. Not only did we have great results, but they sent lots of extras to make sure we'd have enough live caterpillars. (I thinik we ordered 100, but received about 130 caterpillars - we sent each of our 90+ moms home with a caterpillar & food so they & their kids could watch it turn into a butterfly. Very fun!)

Maybe not what you were thinking of, but I think the best thing to do would be to plant some butterfly attracting plants if you can. It's amazing to check on your caterpillars each day and then find a chrysalis in a crazy place. I never knew how far a caterpillar could travel until I started a very small butterfly garden.

Butterflies in FL will soon be back in full force. And, if you ever find yourself near Gainesville, then you should definitely see the FL Museum of Natural History.

ETA: I also have some ideas for a moth and butterfly study on my blog.

Edited by cmarango

Butterflies in FL will soon be back in full force. And, if you ever find yourself near Gainesville, then you should definitely see the FL Museum of Natural History.

Ditto! We live in Tampa but took a field trip to Gainesville to the Museum of Natural History, and it was incredible! The butterfly rain forest was amazing - and I actually bought some milkweed there. We planted it and had caterpillars within 2 weeks.

Maybe not what you were thinking of, but I think the best thing to do would be to plant some butterfly attracting plants if you can. It's amazing to check on your caterpillars each day and then find a chrysalis in a crazy place. I never knew how far a caterpillar could travel until I started a very small butterfly garden.

ETA: I also have some ideas for a moth and butterfly study on my blog.

Oh, I am from Gville and oldest ds is there in school. Miss home!

As a side note, Callaway Gardens in Pine Moutin, GA also has a fab butterfly garden.

We ordered from this company several years ago when I was on the steering team for my church's MOPS ministry. Not only did we have great results, but they sent lots of extras to make sure we'd have enough live caterpillars. (I thinik we ordered 100, but received about 130 caterpillars - we sent each of our 90+ moms home with a caterpillar & food so they & their kids could watch it turn into a butterfly. Very fun!)

This is where I've ordered as well - which reminds me, it's about time for a refill!