Menu

History, Literature suggestions please!?

I am highly in need of a curriculum that involves history and literature, trying to do it on my own just isn't working for me anymore and I need a guide to follow. Money is tight, so I cannot go beyond say $100 there is just no way. Any really good curriculums out there that has everything (even with bible?). And if there is anyway to find it cheaper, I would love to know!

Help greatly needed!!:bigear:

What are you trying to focus on in history? Ancient, medieval, modern, European, American? I'll check back on the boards in a little while. :)

Sorry I should have explained a little more, I am focusing on world history along with Literature. I'm looking for a curriculum like MFW but without the big price tag.;)

Trisms.

We really like it here :)

If you only want to use the history and lit sections, you can. However, there is more included.

http://www.trisms.com/

As for price tags - you can find used sets very reasonably. New is really expensive!!!

Kristy, how is the curriculum so far? Does your son enjoy it, how in depth does it go? I want a good solid curriculum to prepare me for college especially with all the essays and the like. :bigear:

I would suggest separating them.

Get Spielvogel on the used boards and study it for world history.

Get some study guides and study Shakespeare for a year. There are so many study guides for Shakespeare that I am sure you can find them free online, and Shakespeare quotes theology and history so much that it just naturally ties into a fairly broad humanities education. When you buy your Shakespeare texts, I suggest getting two copies of each play--one the ones with old English and modern English on facing pages, and one with just the original text and a ton of notes. Read each play at least three times, and do papers on it--one 'here is something obscure about this play to write about', one 'here is what Shakespeare is arguing here and here is why I and/or the Bible agree or disagree with it', and one 'here is the critical literature on this question.' For instance, for Romeo and Juliet, one paper might be a duh paper about the class structure of RJ, one might be a paper about how Shakespeare views suicide and how you and/or the Bible views it, and one about whether Shakespeare killed off Mercutio because he was turning into more of the hero than Romeo.

You could look on the NROC web-site at their APWorld History course and use that and the textbook(s) that they suggest. Then get the Norton Anthology of World Lit. and look around here for what world classics you should read. You could connect them up to the time period/culture that you are studying in history.

We did this sort of thing for Am Lit/History. Also look at course/curricula on the AP websites. As for essays, etc. There are loads of study guides and questions for whatever lit. works you are studying on the web. I've found the "college" ones to be the best. You can triage from them and set up a study guide of your own.

NROC has some multiple choice tests and essay assignments in their AP courses. We've used them as a good diagnostic tool.

Also, there are old AP tests posted on line. You can pick and choose essay topics from them as well. Buy one of the AP world hist. study guides and take pieces of the AP sample tests from there.

What about the NROC or Hippocampus World History. Just pick one of the correlated history texts and buy it used on Amazon. Then download Excellence in Lit World Lit for $29. Very inexpensive solution.

ETA I don't see anything wrong with Notgrass either. If you are having a hard time making it World History/Lit happen, it might be a good choice for you.

Edited by Momto2Ns

Beautiful Feet guides are very inexpensive, if you have access to a good library for the literature. We used the BF ancient guide, but by the Roman Empire, you need to be a solid reader who can absorb historical information from literature. It became too much for my dd, but the son in another nearby family picked up the gauntlet with it and took it through to modern times. Both students created lovely timeline notebooks of all they had learned.

Julie

Kristy, how is the curriculum so far? Does your son enjoy it, how in depth does it go? I want a good solid curriculum to prepare me for college especially with all the essays and the like. :bigear:

We really like it. It's very flexible....

We used the middle school program, and are finishing up Discovery of the Ancient World.

Next year we are using Expansion of Civilization.

DS likes it - he likes the flexibility inherent in the program, using real books, etc.

It's definitely solid, and as for depth - you could go as far as you'd like. We tend to spend more time on units that interest him and skim over units I'm not overly excited about. But the framework is there, the lit is there, reading selection, book suggestions, even movie suggestions. Leading questions for research, essay assignments, and semester projects, etc.

We are not Christian, but we just skip over (or discuss) anything I may not agree with. There isn't a lot.....

This is something I've been researching too. Notgrass looks good but their are multiple lists out there which could be coordinated with a good history spine book fairly easily. Compare the WTM great books 4 year list with the AP list and make your selections. Take good notes (See the ap literature thread) and practice essay writing. Example essay questions are on that thread also.

One resource I just found is a free ancient history--Troy-- class at about.com. It is 10 weeks long with weekly assignment emails. There are also online quizzes for different topics while reading the Iliad etc. I have signed up because dd is working through the ancient WTM list so this should be a good fit.

There is also a Shakespeare course when this is over.

Congratulations on the new little brother. Your mom is really lucky to have you for a daughter--I saw the crock pot recipe post. Good luck!

This is something I've been researching too. Notgrass looks good but their are multiple lists out there which could be coordinated with a good history spine book fairly easily. Compare the WTM great books 4 year list with the AP list and make your selections. Take good notes (See the ap literature thread) and practice essay writing. Example essay questions are on that thread also.

One resource I just found is a free ancient history--Troy-- class at about.com. It is 10 weeks long with weekly assignment emails. There are also online quizzes for different topics while reading the Iliad etc. I have signed up because dd is working through the ancient WTM list so this should be a good fit.

There is also a Shakespeare course when this is over.

Congratulations on the new little brother. Your mom is really lucky to have you for a daughter--I saw the crock pot recipe post. Good luck!

aww thank you so very much!! I appreciate your help and kind words, I cannot wait for my little brother to arrive!:)

I would suggest separating them.

Get Spielvogel on the used boards and study it for world history.

Get some study guides and study Shakespeare for a year. There are so many study guides for Shakespeare that I am sure you can find them free online, and Shakespeare quotes theology and history so much that it just naturally ties into a fairly broad humanities education. When you buy your Shakespeare texts, I suggest getting two copies of each play--one the ones with old English and modern English on facing pages, and one with just the original text and a ton of notes. Read each play at least three times, and do papers on it--one 'here is something obscure about this play to write about', one 'here is what Shakespeare is arguing here and here is why I and/or the Bible agree or disagree with it', and one 'here is the critical literature on this question.' For instance, for Romeo and Juliet, one paper might be a duh paper about the class structure of RJ, one might be a paper about how Shakespeare views suicide and how you and/or the Bible views it, and one about whether Shakespeare killed off Mercutio because he was turning into more of the hero than Romeo.

Sorry to be a pedant, but technically speaking, Shakespeare wrote in modern English. (Old English is the language of Beowulf!) :001_smile:

Sorry -- pet peeve.