Menu

How can I help a lady who is getting a mascectomy next week?

Dh's aunt is having a double mastectomy next week and will have chemo for awhile afterwards. She and her husband are retired and their adult brain-injured son lives with them. I was thinking I'd take meals every so often during her recovery. How else could I help? What should I know about meals for someone after surgery and having chemo?

After a double mastectomy, any upper body movement is painful. I was unable to do weird things, like wipe off the counter. But I was up and walking again within days of the surgery. Driving is off limits until you can turn the steering wheel pain-free.

Meals and paper plates are nice. Cleaning would also be nice. Maybe offering to pick up meds or go on errands for her would be helpful.

Cleaning, laundry, errands. Lots of people bring food. I've noticed that people need the company and the cleaning more.

One of my clients hired me after she had finished treatments to go through and clean out her pantry and put things in their right places. She had lots of people in her kitchen helping, for which she was super grateful, but it's nice to have things they way she wanted again.

Here's info I've read. Just a bunch of very helpful tips that I've copied and pasted over time.

"Cleaning for a Reason is a non-profit organization that offers free professional housecleaning services to improve the lives of women undergoing treatment for cancer"

Massage

Candles

Lotion

Lip balm

Care kit with things to combat nausea - Lemon drops, ginger snaps, Chinese ginger candy, ginger ale, soda crackers, stuff like that

Books on tape

Funny movie

If she is getting chemo she may find that she is easily chilled. This is especially true when chemo causes hair loss. You may want to see if you can find the fluffiest, softest scarf and hat for her, and maybe even a snuggly throw.

A freezer full of meals ready to heat and eat. She is not the type of person who would be at all happy to have different people coming to her house and bringing her meals, it would have greatly upset her. We found, filled and drove to her garage a chest freezer that we filled a week prior to her surgery. Her favorites were lasagna, chicken pot pie, chocolate chip cookies and cranberry bread.

Gift cards and certificates from favorite local restaurants, particularly those that deliver

Gift cards from the local pharmacy and grocery store were also much appreciated.

Books and DVDs if you know what is liked or gift cards for those too.

Comfy fuzzy socks for the hospital.

**Flowers were a no go, sometimes the scents made her ill.

HOSPITAL GIFT IDEAS

Offer to do her “at home†things – water her plants, look after a pet, or pick up mail

Lip balm is the #1 request for drying air in hospitals

Teddy bear or cuddly toy

Pashmina/cozy wrap

Calling card

Hand lotions, bath products, anything nice-smelling

Offer to do her nails

HOW TO MOST HELP SOMEONE WITH CANCER has lots of helpful tips

It's hard to move your arms at all after a mastectomy. I was unable to use our microwave since it's over the stove -- so meals that could be reheated on the stove were nice when DH wasn't here (he took the kids out a lot when I was recovering). Snacky things that could be set on the end table or right on my blanket on the recliner were nice when I didn't feel like getting up very often.

Something that we bought that turned out to be the best was a heated blanket -- I was unable to get in and out of bed, so I slept in a recliner for 3? months. Maybe a nice comfy pillow? -- I used lots and lots of pillows in the recliner; I kind of packed myself in so I couldn't roll over onto my drains/bandages.

Laundry is difficult to bend over and throw clothes in the washer/get things out of the dryer. DH or my mom did it; I would fold sitting on my recliner occasionally.

Thank you, all! Your information and links are amazingly helpful!

About how long do you think she'll be in the hospital after the surgery?

With chemo, are there certain days that it's best to leave her alone -- day of chemo or maybe nausea kicks in a day or so later?? Or, is it different for everyone?

Thank you, all! Your information and links are amazingly helpful!

About how long do you think she'll be in the hospital after the surgery?

With chemo, are there certain days that it's best to leave her alone -- day of chemo or maybe nausea kicks in a day or so later?? Or, is it different for everyone?

Avg. hospital stay for a mastectomy is about 3-4 days.

I didn't have chemo, but my father did. His nausea came the day after a treatment. I don't know if that varies.