Menu

Visit Report - University of Rochester

creekland

Yesterday our family visited the University of Rochester. My guy sat in on a class, we all met with a neuroscience adviser, ate lunch, attended an information session, did a tour, then met with a pre-med adviser. My guy is already accepted here...

The University of Rochester is a Top Tier medium sized RESEARCH University located in Rochester, NY. While it is in Rochester itself, it has its own campus (a separate campus for their school of music) and I wouldn't consider it urban as per many of the others we've seen that are indistinguishable from the city. On three sides it's bordered by a small picturesque river. They have their graduate studies (including a med school and hospital) right there too. Everything is in easy walking distance except their school of music. They have free shuttles to that (and much of the city students would want).

Research is everywhere. The vast majority of students participate in research and have come here for it. All professors are engaged in it. The opportunities are plentiful and meaningful. Most start in either the second semester of their freshman year or in their sophomore year. (Professors want to see some grades and dedication prior to accepting students, but also like to start them early so they can work with them for more years instead of having them graduate shortly after "breaking them in.")

Students at UR only have one required course - a freshman writing course. All other classes are chosen by the student though 6 classes have to come from areas outside of their discipline area (not just major). Two clusters of 3 classes each must be from other areas. This makes it easy to double major or get minors as well as to really delve into topics of ones liking.

Introductory classes are large (roughly 100 - 300 pending class). Later classes are not (my guys neuroethology class had roughly 30 in it he said). When talking with students there, none complained about class size and all said they loved it (felt they made the right decision to be at UR). All also said professors were extremely approachable and loved to talk about their topic and/or research.

Sports are there (division III), but certainly aren't the main focus. Students told us the U is trying to get more kids supporting sports, so often offers incentives to come to games (free t-shirts or similar). The right fit for this school isn't a rah-rah sports student - it's a research and academic lover. It could be a research and academic lover who also wants to play sports.

The food offered was VERY good and there were multiple dining facilities/choices. The dorms are almost all "traditional" with two people to a room and communal bathrooms. The size of the room we looked at was perfectly fine. The majority of dorms are co-ed. Rooms and bathrooms are not co-ed. A student I asked about the "reality" of bathrooms being non-co-ed seemed aghast at the suggestion that they might not be. She assured me the guys and gals each used their respective restrooms. The dorms are older and don't have the bells and whistles of many of the "updated" campuses out there. Classrooms are similar (blackboard in one we were in - not white or Promethean boards). I suspect the money at this place goes to research.

If one is interested in neuroscience, one ought to consider UR. They offer all three disciplines related to brain study - Psychology, Neuroscience, and Behavioral and Cognitive Thinking. Due to their lack of course requirements, one can take classes in all three easily while still having a major in one of them. Some get double majors. Research is available in all.

Pre-med wise, roughly half the students coming in consider pre-med, but after experiencing "life" only about one fifth end up actually applying. Some opt out due finding other loves (esp research) and some end up not being able to be competitive academically for the medical field. Regardless, most graduates find employment in their major field after graduation (or go to graduate school).

UR is a bit more "large" rather than "small" as far as colleges go. There is no hand-holding as with most LACs. There are plentiful opportunities for research, tutoring, non-academic "fun" stuff, and the like, but the student needs to take the initiative to get involved. The college likes it this way (for research especially) as it fosters personal initiative.

The big pros to this place are the endless opportunities for research for the academic lovers in our lives (or music lovers). It's not just science, they have other research too. For pre-meds, the medical complex right there is a huge plus as students often do research with physicians there too - not just professors. The college is Top Tier and is well-respected in academia.

The biggest con (for academic lovers) would have to be the weather. Yes, there are tunnels connecting some buildings, but they don't go everywhere and snow or rain is very common due to the Great Lake next door. Put this school in another, more weather favorable, location and I strongly suspect the entrance stats and number of applicants would be far higher. (They aren't all that low as it is - 38% acceptance rate.)

Many students attending are from nearby states due to the winter, BUT they have students from all 50 states and many foreign countries (our tour guide was from MS - another was from Mexico). A student in the information session came from a top school in Finland. The rest (and there were many) appeared to be from fancy private high schools. We were alone with homeschooling as far as I know. That humbled me for a bit, but then I realized I'd have probably sent my boys to a top academic high school had one been available. The average applicant here has between 2 - 7 AP classes/tests. Don't let that deter anyone. My guy made it in with just one (and 2 other cc classes), but he did have a strong ACT score, and perhaps homeschooling brought in some diversity from the private school applicants.

Rochester does have merit aid and claims to meet 100% of financial need for students who are accepted. They don't say they'll do this without loans. We'll see what happens with our financial aid within the week (supposedly). It remains a top contender for my guy who never has cared about sports, dorms, food, or bells and whistles, but is drooling over the potential classes (loved the one he sat in on and his discussion with the professor afterward). Winter is a negative. We'll see what happens.

As I put in a different thread, one student had a hand-made poster outside of his room saying:

We're not nerds, we're intellectual bad_sses.

My guy relates. This may be the school for him - pending finances and other opportunities. I believe it beats his other choices at the moment.

It sounds like a very exciting place to be. I went to school in upstate NY. We did a lot of cross country skiing and skating. If you buy really warm jackets and sno-pak boots and long johns, winter is not so bad. But, I was an outdoor girl anyways so, staying inside was never an option. When the weather was very bad, the gym had lots going on and there was a pool to take classes and swim laps in.

One year - we had 12 inches of snow on May 20th.....so winters can be long.

My genes may likewise be unexpressed, both dds were born in FL and grew up in TN. If it gets "down" to 25 degrees, they do not function. Eldest dd says she can tolerate southern NY temps with an enormous quantity of woolen sweaters and the warmest down coat I've ever seen. She is a ballerina, so she just dances in the hot studio all day when it is too cold. Youngest dd did not apply to any colleges that were any farther north than we are now. She is more outdoorsy and says the lack of sun in the north would make her ill!!! Her college wardrobe will likely consist of little sundresses and an occasional sweater.

My wish for them both is to have children who "need" to ski all winter and do not function well if the temps. get over 60!!!!

...My wish for them both is to have children who "need" to ski all winter and do not function well if the temps. get over 60!!!!

LOL - I have these children. They have spent college skiing and ice-fishing. It makes us wonder about the job choice of the older two. The oldest is going to be working in 100+ temps much of the time, with no snow in sight. We'll see...

Nan

Thank you!

I can't imagine my ds would ever apply to UR as he has certain climate requirements that don't align well with Rochester, but I enjoy reading your visit reports. They are so informative and well-written. I could never be as thorough and articulate as you are.

Thank you!

I can't imagine my ds would ever apply to UR as he has certain climate requirements that don't align well with Rochester, but I enjoy reading your visit reports. They are so informative and well-written. I could never be as thorough and articulate as you are.

I really enjoy visiting the different places and seeing their varying characteristics.

Kiddo is going to have a tough time figuring out where he wants to go. He enjoys the research of the research U, but the camaraderie and 100% small classes of the LAC.

UR just gave him 14K in merit aid. While that is higher than many posting theirs on cc, it's still 3rd of 4 that he's heard from so far (with two to go yet). I prefer merit aid to need based aid in case our income rebounds with the economy. We had to spend a bit of our savings.

The finances may dictate where he goes. He knows he can be happy anywhere.

I really enjoy visiting the different places and seeing their varying characteristics.

Kiddo is going to have a tough time figuring out where he wants to go. He enjoys the research of the research U, but the camaraderie and 100% small classes of the LAC.

UR just gave him 14K in merit aid. While that is higher than many posting theirs on cc, it's still 3rd of 4 that he's heard from so far (with two to go yet). I prefer merit aid to need based aid in case our income rebounds with the economy. We had to spend a bit of our savings.

The finances may dictate where he goes. He knows he can be happy anywhere.

I completely agree. We will be following the merit money and this is especially true because by the time the youngest enters college, we'll have all three boys in college at once. Unfortunately for the youngest, his older brothers will only be in school through his sophomore year so his need based aid will drop significantly once the other two graduate. It's important that he not make a uni choice based on what he receives his freshman year (older brother's senior year) in need aid or he'll end up with big loans the last two years of school.

DD's top choice school gave her a 50% scholarship plus a couple of small departmental scholarships...it came to about 65% of the full cost. 75% is the most this school offered and only gave that to 6 students per year. Unfortunately, it was a very expensive school and still left a $14,000.00 and change bill. She didn't want to have massive loans and we weren't willing to borrow that much x4 years with three more children to put through school. She ended up at her 3rd choice school (still a top tier university) because the merit money came in at 85% of total costs and it was lower tuition to begin with. We have been able to pay the balance for her up to this point which has kept her debt free.

Given how much "need based" aid can vary from year to year, we prefer merit aid. Additionally, I really like the aspect of maintaining the high GPA required to keep the merit aid. I think it's a great incentive. Dh and I followed the merit money and maintained high grades for four years in order to stay in school and I'm fine with that plan for my kiddoes! :001_smile:

Thanks for all of the great reviews. I've taken Franklin and Marshall off ds's list due to your insightful information as well as U of Pitt which was never high on the visit list, but it's good to know up front we definitely don't want to put that on the tour of campuses in Pennsylvania.

You've been very helpful!

Faith

Ds is not accepted (yet) but is hopeful as it's one of his top choices, because of the research opportunities, the location near family, the strength of neuroscience, and Eastman. I went there to medical school and it was a better social and academic experience than college was for me. It's truly, IMO, an underrecognized gem.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

While not without loans, the University of Rochester appears to be VERY generous with need-based aid. It's entirely possible at this point that it will be my guy's final choice.

The total loan value, if we accept it all, is $7000 per year. To me, that's a very realistic investment in a decent 4 year education. The total grant value far exceeds the loan value - as does his 14K merit scholarship.

We appear to be "down" to our EFC (which is extremely low this year).

I know some don't want any loans - hence I put down how much our loans are so you can plan accordingly. Personally, we're not in that "camp." I'm pleased overall.

Update:

While not without loans, the University of Rochester appears to be VERY generous with need-based aid. It's entirely possible at this point that it will be my guy's final choice.

The total loan value, if we accept it all, is $7000 per year. To me, that's a very realistic investment in a decent 4 year education. The total grant value far exceeds the loan value - as does his 14K merit scholarship.

QUOTE]

Congratulations!!! And remember, there are often departmental scholarships he can get his junior and senior years if he does well. My dh got full ride scholarships his junior and senior year as a premed at Baylor because of his performance freshman and soph year. It enabled his dad to save the money he would have spent and use it for med school. ( Which admittedly was MUCH cheaper than it now!) Most universities have similar policies. Congrats to your son!!!

Update:

We appear to be "down" to our EFC (which is extremely low this year).

I know some don't want any loans - hence I put down how much our loans are so you can plan accordingly. Personally, we're not in that "camp." I'm pleased overall.

Good to hear this! One of the main reasons I chose U of R back in the 70s was due to my financial aid package. At the time, they had one of the largest endowments in the nation. Glad to know that they are still generous.

Your son will most likely be able to help with his expenses by working on campus during the school year or through a summer internship. I had no trouble finding several such jobs that helped pay my expenses to a large degree (and they were in my field, too - not the typical campus library desk or cafeteria jobs).

Like you, I accepted my son's loan package as part of the price of getting a better education (he had about 5000 per year). He's turning 24 next week, and he'll have all of those loans paid in full this month. A frugal kid who works hard can make it work out OK!

Edited by Kathy in Richmond

Good to hear this! One of the main reasons I chose U of R back in the 70s was due to my financial aid package. At the time, they had one of the largest endowments in the nation. Glad to know that they are still generous.

Your son will most likely be able to help with his expenses by working on campus during the school year or through a summer internship. I had no trouble finding several such jobs that helped pay my expenses to a large degree (and they were in my field, too - not the typical campus library desk or cafeteria jobs).

Like you, I accepted my son's loan package as part of the price of getting a better education (he had about 5000 per year). He's turning 24 next week, and he'll have all of those loans paid in full this month. A frugal kid who works hard can make it work out OK!

They are indeed generous. Since I can get books at a discount online (usually), his personal expenses are low, and travel can be combined with relatives in the area, I'm looking at their bill based upon this year's cost and thinking it'll only be about 2K out of pocket - for both semesters (not each semester).

They have a LOT more research than Alabama + Alabama doesn't have his preferred major of neuroscience, so "probably" will axe UA. "Probably" is in quotes because the majority of their aid is merit - making that attractive in case our income changes - but I also want my guy to get the education and opportunities he prefers so we'll have to think a bit.

Pitt wasn't his favorite anyway, but I might still have him compare if finances are similar since they are also well-known for neuroscience. With our state cuts, I doubt they'll be competitive.

Baylor is likely out (distance + not having the research he prefers).

Furman we've yet to hear from financially. He was supposed to hear on or about today, but hasn't. Being an LAC vs a research school, there's a huge difference in "type." If finances are comparable, he'll have a super big decision there.

Wash U is still our "wild card" as they notify of acceptance later this month. They'll be a contender if he gets accepted, but we'll have to see how the finances play out.

I'm thinking it's likely to come down to Rochester or Wash U IF he makes it in. Their RD acceptance rate is just 10 - 11%, so that's really shaky. I'm seriously expecting waitlist for them.

All in all, I think research is going to win out over smaller classes and better winter weather.

BUT, it's his decision as long as we can afford the finances.

I strongly recommend anyone who feels their student would enjoy a research U and has the stats to get into Rochester NOT be put off by their sticker price. It appears to be a $56,000 school coming down to $9,000 for us - with just $2,000 + books and travel out of pocket. We'd pay that much for room and board for him here if he lived at home - possibly more. I'm thinking it's a great deal for top notch education and research possibilities.

Their stats seem to show 96% get full need met. We're in it. And this is after the CSS Profile - not just Fafsa. Way to go UR!

Now I'll admit to being impatient at waiting for final packages from the other schools...

Creekland -

I loved Wash U. They did not have what either of my 2 dds needed but, the whole place just rang with enthusiasm and a really good intellectual vibe. Lots of kids from our city go there and have all done very well. St. Louis struck me as a cool city as well.

Ahhhhh....college is wasted on the young.....if I'd only known about WU when I was young....

We are off touring soon but, $$ will probably be the deal maker/breaker for us as well. So fingers crossed all round????

We are off touring soon but, $$ will probably be the deal maker/breaker for us as well. So fingers crossed all round????

I suspect so - and I suspect there are more of us too (with or without needing the financial aspect)!

Middle son loves the places with the "intellectual vibe." Oldest wanted the "Christian vibe." It'll be interesting to see what youngest prefers. Many students at my school want "bells and whistles" (modern campus/gym/etc). I'm kind of glad to see that isn't any of my guys' top needs - unless youngest surprises me next year. At the moment, he's concentrating on "major."

Many students at my school want "bells and whistles" (modern campus/gym/etc). I'm kind of glad to see that isn't any of my guys' top needs - unless youngest surprises me next year. At the moment, he's concentrating on "major."

It certainly would have been easier for us to go with the "bells and whistles" search. Eldest dd needed a certain intellectual vibe and a "coolness factor" along with a nurturing atmosphere and dance. Youngest dd would gladly live in a tent for 4 years as long as she gets her science and good friends to do it with and can live/work near the ocean. It may be all about "keeping it real", looking behind the bells and whistles to see what there is content-wise. I have been known to respond negatively to too much campus maintenance!!!

Youngest dd would gladly live in a tent for 4 years as long as she gets her science and good friends to do it with and can live/work near the ocean.

My youngest would happily live in the jungle studying plants with or without a tent. He's a bit annoyed to learn he'll need to study other things besides Tropical Botany to get his degree. Fortunately, he's opening up more to the idea though. Visiting colleges has inspired him. He sees that there truly is a level above our local high school. At a couple of colleges he's gotten to talk with profs involved with Botany. ;) That definitely helped get him focused. And now he knows what he needs to do to both get accepted and have decent chances for merit aid.

• 2 weeks later...

Creekland, this new U Rochester admissions video arrived in my email today, and it made me think of you and your son. Have you seen it yet? Thought you might enjoy it.

I'm usually not a rap fan, but this is lots of fun...and a walk down memory lane for me. Wilson Commons, the stacks, & the tunnels all still look the same, but man, have the cafeteria and gym improved.:)

Meliora!

Creekland, this new U Rochester admissions video arrived in my email today, and it made me think of you and your son. Have you seen it yet? Thought you might enjoy it.

I'm usually not a rap fan, but this is lots of fun...and a walk down memory lane for me. Wilson Commons, the stacks, & the tunnels all still look the same, but man, have the cafeteria and gym improved.:)

Meliora!

Oh, goodness! Was that the Pit? Where are the sad, heatlamped burgers sliding down the grungy ramps? When did they discover lighting?

As you said, though, the Commons looks the same (I think those flags have been hanging there since the mid-80s), as does the library.

I'm strangely heartened to learn that they're still going to Nick's for Garbage Plates, though I have to admit I never had one.

I just got a chance to watch that video on some prep time here at school. I'm not a rap fan either, but that one is quite good! Thanks for suggesting it. I've actually told middle son to try to watch it at home (though videos seldom work well there due to our internet connection).

U of R was his original favorite school and the more I see of it, the more I like it and feel it is the best place for him (pending his impression on accepted student day). I'm REALLY glad they are providing the finances to make it affordable for us. Like everyone else, he'll deal with the weather. Everything else there makes it worth it - and quite honestly - better than the other schools he was considering IMO. (Better for him, that is, everyone needs their correct fit.)

Oh, goodness! Was that the Pit? Where are the sad, heatlamped burgers sliding down the grungy ramps? When did they discover lighting?

As you said, though, the Commons looks the same (I think those flags have been hanging there since the mid-80s), as does the library.

I'm strangely heartened to learn that they're still going to Nick's for Garbage Plates, though I have to admit I never had one.

Was that the Pit? LOL! None of the dining scenes in the video reminded me of anything I experienced. My main food memory is the rubbery slice of 'roast beef au jus' that always seemed to appear on the Douglass dining hall menu. Yuck! The ground floor of Wilson housed a bar in my day (back when the drinking age was 18); now it appears to be a food court!? Before Wilson, the main hangout was a dingy cafe & bar in the basement of the post office building.

I remember taking physics in that lecture hall...was it Hoyt? Jogging the old memory is hard, but that room looks just the same.

And I'm sure I also remember those flags in that Wilson commons lounge (I was there in the mid-70s when the Commons first opened). I often brought my reading to that sunny room.:)

Laughed at the reference to Mt Hope Cemetery ("our neighbors never talk") and getting groceries at Wegman's. Wah! They never let us climb to the top of the Rush Rhees library rotunda! Remember the fancy reading rooms on the first floor of the library, though?

I just got a chance to watch that video on some prep time here at school. I'm not a rap fan either, but that one is quite good! Thanks for suggesting it. I've actually told middle son to try to watch it at home (though videos seldom work well there due to our internet connection).

U of R was his original favorite school and the more I see of it, the more I like it and feel it is the best place for him (pending his impression on accepted student day). I'm REALLY glad they are providing the finances to make it affordable for us. Like everyone else, he'll deal with the weather. Everything else there makes it worth it - and quite honestly - better than the other schools he was considering IMO. (Better for him, that is, everyone needs their correct fit.)

Glad you liked the video.:) Hope your son has a great experience on admitted student day! He won't be shortchanged in any sense of the word if he chooses U of R - I had a fantastic education there with caring professors. Wish that I could have convinced one of mine to apply. As for cold weather, I wonder if the kids still go "traying" on the hill behind Danforth on snowy days?

Edited by Kathy in Richmond

As for cold weather, I wonder if the kids still go "traying" on the hill behind Danforth on snowy days?

Hi, Kathy! I showed the video to my younger son (who thought it was weird to see white boys rapping :001_smile:). I think he liked the nerdiness, and the photo of Steven Chu was great! I like how they mentioned "Western NY" and said something like "a little bit of snow" LOL. For me the snowy scenes brought back good memories of growing up in Buffalo. If we hadn't moved when I was in 9th grade, I certainly might have gone to UR! Looks like a serious-but-fun place! Thanks for sharing.

~Laura

I can't imagine traying will ever go away. There's just something about that thrill of trying to slide as far as possible without being decapitated by the ledge overhanging the arts building...good times. I remember Tray Amnesty Day every spring when we would sheepishly give back all the cafeteria trays we had...er...liberated for sledding purposes.

Hi, Kathy! I showed the video to my younger son (who thought it was weird to see white boys rapping :001_smile:). I think he liked the nerdiness, and the photo of Steven Chu was great! I like how they mentioned "Western NY" and said something like "a little bit of snow" LOL. For me the snowy scenes brought back good memories of growing up in Buffalo. If we hadn't moved when I was in 9th grade, I certainly might have gone to UR! Looks like a serious-but-fun place! Thanks for sharing.

~Laura

Hi Laura! Hope the AIME went well for your ds yesterday. :) Shhh about the little bit of snow. We don't want creekland's son to worry! Yep, Rochester combines demanding academics with a supportive and fun environment, just what I was looking for (...can you tell i used to work with admissions as an alumna volunteer? lol)

I can't imagine traying will ever go away. There's just something about that thrill of trying to slide as far as possible without being decapitated by the ledge overhanging the arts building...good times. I remember Tray Amnesty Day every spring when we would sheepishly give back all the cafeteria trays we had...er...liberated for sledding purposes.

hee hee! I was just thinking about that when I visited dd last month. Her cafeteria allows kids to bring dishware back to their dorms (they're green and don't use paper products)...and she could stand to, ummm, liberate a few dishes and mugs herself.:)

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone who has read this far (now or future), ideally, I'd love to edit my first post, but it's past the time when that can happen.

My middle son is going to U of Rochester :001_smile:, so we've investigated it more thoroughly and I'll amend (or add to) some of what I wrote before.

First... the dorms are better than I thought. My guy spent the night and upperclassmen have suite options as at many other colleges complete with preferred perks. Freshmen share as written before.

60% of the kids (as per the video) are involved in sports, but there are three levels of involvement, Varsity (DIII), Club, and Intramural. Club teams compete locally against other colleges. Intramural are just for students and range from competitive to pure fun. These are all organized, but allow for a diversity of participation. My guy expects to be on the club Chess Team and Intramurals for soccer and/or ultimate frisbee. He knows he can decide that later.

Homeschoolers are welcome to apply (talked with admissions on this one since I didn't see other homeschoolers there on our visits) and I was told that most are equally or better prepared academically than their ps counterparts. What they look for with homeschoolers is participation in things outside the family - cc classes, camps, trips, organized anything, etc - to show that they will do well with the transition to college. They do not want to see "academics only" kids, but then again, I don't think they want that with their average applicant anyway.

Who fits in well at the University of Rochester?

Admissions told us it's the student who loves learning - just to learn. They try to select students who don't get the 4.0 average due to rote memory or because they are supposed to, but rather due to loving the subject (and general learning) so much that the A comes naturally whether there were a test or not. They want kids with the curiosity of life and the desire to KNOW things. Most of these kids also want to do research to learn even more about our world (80% of the students are actively involved in undergrad research - not just science).

Then they look for diversity in that love of learning. They really like kids who combine two (or more) totally different fields (eg neuroscience and music, English and math, etc). They want an all-around love of higher knowledge. UR's open course options allows these students to easily major in more than one field. One student my guy stayed with had 4 majors - all different - and was still doing research.

If your son/daughter drools at the thought of research and associated academics with like-minded students, they're likely to love this place. Several my guy talked with turned down higher ranked schools due to the level of research and open study opportunities here that just aren't found at other schools. The research is top notch. Start looking on their website under major of choice - with neuro/brain science the pages are quite lengthy. While a bit is graduate level, undergrads are also involved (truly involved as per conversations with students). How much involvement is up to the student.

If your son/daughter has to be cajoled into studying, this isn't the place for them as they don't want to be holding hands and pushing. Kids are taking classes here because they want to be - not have to be. (There IS tutoring and other academic helps as with other schools.) They want students here who see the vast opportunities available and reach out to get them, joining with top professors in research and study. There are big classes freshman year (250 or so), but far, far smaller classes thereafter. Big classes are cut into a smaller size for recitations.

It's not an LAC with a required 4 years of classes and some research (my oldest goes to one of these and loves it). It's not a big state U where one is a number, but has tons of bells and whistles and sports, etc, (I went to one of these and loved it). It's a small research U with tons of money they put into research looking for students who want to be there and have a good time - nerd style (and proud of it). That's their fit.

My nerd has found his people and lights up with all the possibilities for the future. He's just seen what others have been doing... ;)

Oh, and the acceptance rate has been going down lately... as the number of applications has been on the rise significantly.

The good news? If you make it in, they are committed to meeting 100% need (difference between your EFC as per profile and the cost to attend) albeit with some loans. Most, for us, was grants - plus my guy snagged some merit aid. The cost to us is essentially the same as state colleges.

I'm going to be a proud U of Rochester mom - and if your son/daughter seems like "the type" to find UR a fit, I'll recommend checking them out to you. ;)

• 4 months later...

Just thought I'd give this a bump to anyone out there who is looking at colleges.

My guy is there now and absolutely loving it. I also know a bit more about the U now than I did after a single visit, so if you have questions, feel free to ask. It's a great place for the intellectually curious student.

They have a 96% freshman retention rate (meaning students love it and return) and I can fully understand why.

I also now have someone I can "hook you up with" for question answering too. ;)

Their acceptance rate has gone significantly down since my first post. I think they said 31% now. I suspect it has a lot to do with being a top college that offers 100% of need based aid (remember, that includes basic federal loans, but we didn't get any parent loans). With the economy being what it is, that's a biggie to many of us. Even so, only 1/3rd of applicants applied for need based aid. Some of the others also would have merit aid lowering their bill. My guy has both.

• 8 months later...

Pulling this thread back up to let anyone searching know that my guy is finishing his freshman year there and still absolutely loves the place. He has two lab jobs scheduled for the summer (and will keep one into the next school year). If anyone wants info from a student, let me know and I'll give you his contact info.

Also... the following was posted by the Dean of Admissions regarding the incoming Class of 2017 (my guy is Class of 2016). I'm posting it because it gives a little wider of a view than just my visit report:

The entering Class of 2017 will once again be Rochester's largest-, best-qualified, and most interesting ever. We have received about 8% more deposits than we wanted or anticipated, and now we expect a final enrolled Class exceeding the 1,200 student goal by a lot, likely much closer to 1,300. We will be able to house all of the freshmen, but we're expecting to help most of the new transfer students find their accommodations nearby off-campus instead.

Deposits have arrived from 48 states, DC, Guam, Puerto Rico, and the Northern Marianas, as well as 71 other countries.

For the first time in Rochester's history, the most common academic interest among incoming students is one of our many engineering options rather than a biological sciences option. Interest in mathematics, film and digital media studies, music, international relations and our several public health options has also grown compared to a year ago.

The deposits suggest a Class that will once again be 50/50 male/female. 68% will be from outside New York State. 49% will be White, Non-Hispanic, 7% Hispanic, 5% African-American, 9% Asian-American and close to 20% visa-holding international students.

As of today the average GPA of incoming students (unweighted) is >3.8 and the average SAT has increased more than 20 points. About 40 students are enrolling via the new "test-flexible" option, presenting (outstanding) results from A-level, AP, or IB exams instead.

Welcome to everyone! Welcome to the family! We're having a prolonged, warm, beautiful spring in Rochester, but amid the barbecues and golf days I'm already more excited about your arrival in August.

Jon Burdick

Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid

Creekland, did you see U of R's recent plans for renovating the nearby Mt Hope neighborhood into a "College Town"? Wow, it looks like it'll be wonderful for the kids.

So class size is up, too. Used to be about 1000 when I was there. One thing I found super interesting in that report is that engineering is now the most popular intended major on campus, and math is also a popular choice. Boy, is that different! Those were my majors & they most definitely weren't popular - psych, bio, and poli sci were leading then. The new SAT optional application (but replaced with AP type scores) is also interesting.

Anyway, I'll join Creekland in promoting my school! I've always been happy that I chose to do my undergraduate work at U of R; this is a fantastic school with serious academics & generous merit aid.

We have seen the plans for College Town and I think it will be a nice asset when completed.

Engineering being #1 also surprised me - mainly because I've always known the school more for Pre-med and research, but then again, that's what WE were looking for, so there could be some bias involved. ;) I suspect BME could be high on their list.

I find the size there to be ideal - large enough to have multiple options of things, but small enough to still be able to participate in those options. The lab jobs middle son will be involved in do kind of make me jealous. In my college days, research jobs were for grad students or the select senior or two. Even at my Alma mater that has changed now, but in research focused schools there is just so much going on it makes me wish I could spend my days there taking it all in.

Since 20% of incoming students are international, I'm thinking more of the SAT/ACT optional folks might be coming from there with A levels or IB. It makes a bit of sense that those folks shouldn't have to take the SAT/ACT as well - esp if TOEFL scores are decent (if applicable).

I'll admit to liking the changes the school is making to improve even more for students. (They are already good, but one should never rest on that fact.)