Menu

NovaSure

I have finally broken down and made an appt for the NovaSure procedure in 2 weeks. I talked to my doctor about the procedure back in September but I decided to put it off. For those of you who have had this done, what can I expect(after I get home)? Yes, the doctor explained the procedure but I want to hear from those of you who have been through it.

not sure if I had this or another type done but I've had an ablation done--roughly about 5yrs ago maybe? I also had a tubal/dnc done at the same time so I had alot going on at once---I had some pain issues when I was first waking up (vaguely remember-I was still kinda out of it)- and they decided to keep me longer than normal-so what was supposed to be a inpatient procedure turned out to be a 23hour hospital stay.....Other than that,I don't remember any problems-maybe soreness for a few days....when I had "natural" periods (no hormonal bc) they were always extremely heavy and painful--I used to easily go through 1-2 packs of the overnights pads each month--now I use maybe 1/2 a pack of the ultra thin mini liners--I love it-have had great results from it....and my periods only last maybe 3 days instead of 7.....**after reading some of the other posts below me,I do remember being just totally exhausted for a good 2 weeks after-it took me a while to bounce back to "normal"....

Edited by SweetMissMagnolia

If you have the procedure in the morning, you will be fine until evening. Then the crampiness will kick in. I felt better the next day; I have heard varying reports from others ranging from "I laid in bed for three days" to "I was back on my feet at work the next day."

I distinctly remember being very tired and easily fatigued for a good week afterwards.

That sounds encouraging! I have been questioning myself-hysterectomy or NovaSure. Sorry you had such a rough time.

not sure if I had this or another type done but I've had an ablation done--roughly about 5yrs ago maybe? I also had a tubal/dnc done at the same time so I had alot going on at once---I had some pain issues when I was first waking up (vaguely remember-I was still kinda out of it)- and they decided to keep me longer than normal-so what was supposed to be a inpatient procedure turned out to be a 23hour hospital stay.....Other than that,I don't remember any problems-maybe soreness for a few days....when I had "natural" periods (no hormonal bc) they were always extremely heavy and painful--I used to easily go through 1-2 packs of the overnights pads each month--now I use maybe 1/2 a pack of the ultra thin mini liners--I love it-have had great results from it....and my periods only last maybe 3 days instead of 7.....

If you have the procedure in the morning, you

will be fine until evening. Then the crampiness will kick in. I felt better the next day; I have heard varying reports from others ranging from "I laid in bed for three days" to "I was back on my feet at work the next day."

I distinctly remember being very tired and easily fatigued for a good week afterwards.

This is what I am concerned about(as well as it not working). I guess it is a good thing dh will be off the next week!

I have finally broken down and made an appt for the NovaSure procedure in 2 weeks. I talked to my doctor about the procedure back in September but I decided to put it off. For those of you who have had this done, what can I expect(after I get home)? Yes, the doctor explained the procedure but I want to hear from those of you who have been through it.

I had the Novasure four years ago and will try to remember for you.

Procedure was done Friday afternoon in the doctor's office. I had to take a prescription pill the night before to help open? soften? my cervix. They gave me something in the doctor's office to, oh, not sedate me, but calm me. I had to wait in the room for half an hour for it to kick in before the doctor came in. He explained everything as he was doing it. The only pain I felt was very quick, similar to the twinge when you get swabbed for a pap smear. It might have lasted longer though.

They had me wait in the room for another 30 mins. or so before dh took me home. I didn't fall asleep on the long drive home, or after I got home, but I did lay around and not cook dinner or anything.

The next day, I drove up the hill to a neighbor's house for a jewelry party. I think I even put on makeup. I didn't wander around her house much, spending most of the time sitting on the couch.

ETA: No additional cramping, pain, or discomfort other than during the procedure.

I had a lot of clear discharge for 3-6 weeks following the ablation. For the first two months, I had one afternoon of v-e-r-y light spotting. I've had nothing at all since then.

My insurance did not cover that procedure as well as it would have covered other options. My portion was ~$800. After that initial shock, I decided it saved me well over $800 in sanitary supplies and inconvenience.

It gave me my life back.

Edited by ThisIsTheDay

I had the NovaSure ablation, and my only regret is waiting so long. Mine was on a Friday. I was in the hospital and knocked out for it. I remember some cramping on waking, but the nausea was worse than the cramping. I went home and rested but I felt fine. Same thing the next day. I felt fine -- just tired. For me, it really was a non-event.

I had the Novasure four years ago and will try to remember for you.

Procedure was done Friday afternoon in the doctor's office. I had to take a prescription pill the night before to help open? soften? my cervix. They gave me something in the doctor's office to, oh, not sedate me, but calm me. I had to wait in the room for half an hour for it to kick in before the doctor came in. He explained everything as he was doing it. The only pain I felt was very quick, similar to the twinge when you get swabbed for a pap smear. It might have lasted longer though.

They had me wait in the room for another 30 mins. or so before dh took me home. I didn't fall asleep on the long drive home, or after I got home, but I did lay around and not cook dinner or anything.

The next day, I drove up the hill to a neighbor's house for a jewelry party. I think I even put on makeup. I didn't wander around her house much, spending most of the time sitting on the couch.

ETA: No additional cramping, pain, or discomfort other than during the procedure.

I had a lot of clear discharge for 3-6 weeks following the ablation. For the first two months, I had one afternoon of v-e-r-y light spotting. I've had nothing at all since then.

My insurance did not cover that procedure as well as it would have covered other options. My portion was ~$800. After that initial shock, I decided it saved me well over $800 in sanitary supplies and inconvenience.

It gave me my life back.

I hope my procedure goes as well as yours.:)