Menu

Do you know anyone who has overcome cancer with natural foods/supplements/methods?

Ralph Moss might be a good source. His newsletters used to be free, but now he charges about $50 per year (I think). He also offers phone consultations for a fee.

Another -- Ron Pardini is a researcher who happened to be a neighbor of an elderly man who was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer. Pardini suggested the neighbor use mega doses of omega-3 oils. The tumors began to shrink. At some point along the way, the tumors began to grow again, so more o-3s were added and that did the trick. The tumors went away completely.

If you Google, you should be able to find more info about both.

What cancer is this?

Ralph Moss might be a good source. His newsletters used to be free, but now he charges about $50 per year (I think). He also offers phone consultations for a fee.

Another -- Ron Pardini is a researcher who happened to be a neighbor of an elderly man who was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer. Pardini suggested the neighbor use mega doses of omega-3 oils. The tumors began to shrink. At some point along the way, the tumors began to grow again, so more o-3s were added and that did the trick. The tumors went away completely.

If you Google, you should be able to find more info about both.

What cancer is this?

This type of story highlights for me the difficulty with testimonial-backed treatments. The person who does recover lives to tell the tale, and everyone involved is super enthusiastic about the success. The person who doesn't recover tends to not discuss the treatment; in the case of cancer, that person is probably dead. Nor do others involved jump up to discuss the failed treatment--it is a sad not a happy topic. So even if the treatment works in, say, just 1 in a 100 cases, what we hear about are the successes.

This is where scientific studies come in--they look at large numbers of cases. Before we jump on the "omega 3 for lung cancer" or any other bandwagon, it would be really, really nice to know how 100 or 1000 people fared on that treatment--and how it compares with control subjects on other treatments. The fact that 1 person, or 10 people, or 100 people were cured means little if thousands of people on the same treatment died. But of course the promoters of a treatment would never tell us of failures, and in the case of many "natural" remedies, the studies simply haven't been done.

To give an example with somewhat lower stakes than cancer, I recently had a friend enthusiastically tell me about her success in curing her son's ear infection with an essential oil. She sang the praises of essential oils and their great superiority to standard antibiotics. A wonderful testimonial, and I'm glad that her son's ear infection is better.

BUT I know of another similar situation with a much less happy outcome. A pregnant friend had bought into the "essential oils are natural and necessarily better" mindset, and when she developed an ear infection she used all the best essential oil recommendations to treat it. The ear infection didn't get better--instead it spread, and soon she was in the hospital with infection not only in her ear but in her eye and spreading, and the necessity of undergoing an intensive course of IV antibiotics. Her life was saved, but the eye was not, and the baby suffered from IUGR, likely related to the infection, the antibiotics, or both. Unlike the friend whose son recovered from his ear infection after the essential oil treatment, the friend whose infection worsened does not discuss the part essential oils may have played in her outcome.

I see a place for alternative treatments, primarily as a complement to standard medicine. Medicine is still a science of trial and error, and there is a lot we still have to learn--and some of that will doubtless come from alternative treatments. But there is a lot more we DO know about standard treatments and how effective they are (or sometimes are not) and it is unwise to ignore the known in favor of the hope of the unknown.

--Sarah

This type of story highlights for me the difficulty with testimonial-backed treatments. The person who does recover lives to tell the tale, and everyone involved is super enthusiastic about the success. The person who doesn't recover tends to not discuss the treatment; in the case of cancer, that person is probably dead. Nor do others involved jump up to discuss the failed treatment--it is a sad not a happy topic. So even if the treatment works in, say, just 1 in a 100 cases, what we hear about are the successes.

This is where scientific studies come in--they look at large numbers of cases. Before we jump on the "omega 3 for lung cancer" or any other bandwagon, it would be really, really nice to know how 100 or 1000 people fared on that treatment--and how it compares with control subjects on other treatments. The fact that 1 person, or 10 people, or 100 people were cured means little if thousands of people on the same treatment died. But of course the promoters of a treatment would never tell us of failures, and in the case of many "natural" remedies, the studies simply haven't been done.

Pardini does not promote or advocate *jumping on the omega-3 bandwagon.* He is a researcher whose neighbor happened to ask him for advice. The doctors told the neighbor there was nothing they could do. Pardini cautions that this was one person, not a study, but he and a team of others have gone on to publish studies as to the efficacy of omega-3s in cancer treatment. I am just throwing it out there because that is what the OP requested. My knowledge of this is based on friends who are researchers in oncology and studies being done at teaching hospitals. (A lot of my friends are MDs.) I did not suggest not using standard treatments.

Ditto to this.

I had ovarian cancer when I was 17 and while surgery was not fun and chemo for six months was pretty horrible I'm glad I did it. Because being alive to turn 18 was awesome. Then 19. And 20. And so on. I have no doubt that without chemo I would be dead.

Wow Amy!!! :grouphug:

CONGRATULATIONS on being a SURVIVOR!!!

To give an example with somewhat lower stakes than cancer, I recently had a friend enthusiastically tell me about her success in curing her son's ear infection with an essential oil. She sang the praises of essential oils and their great superiority to standard antibiotics. A wonderful testimonial, and I'm glad that her son's ear infection is better.

BUT I know of another similar situation with a much less happy outcome. A pregnant friend had bought into the "essential oils are natural and necessarily better" mindset, and when she developed an ear infection she used all the best essential oil recommendations to treat it. The ear infection didn't get better--instead it spread, and soon she was in the hospital with infection not only in her ear but in her eye and spreading, and the necessity of undergoing an intensive course of IV antibiotics. Her life was saved, but the eye was not, and the baby suffered from IUGR, likely related to the infection, the antibiotics, or both. Unlike the friend whose son recovered from his ear infection after the essential oil treatment, the friend whose infection worsened does not discuss the part essential oils may have played in her outcome.

I see a place for alternative treatments, primarily as a complement to standard medicine. Medicine is still a science of trial and error, and there is a lot we still have to learn--and some of that will doubtless come from alternative treatments. But there is a lot more we DO know about standard treatments and how effective they are (or sometimes are not) and it is unwise to ignore the known in favor of the hope of the unknown.

--Sarah

That is a very sad story and I agree with everything you posted here. :iagree: :iagree: My sister died at 42. She had a kidney infection and was a diabetic. She tried to treat the infection naturally. One never knows, but I believe she would not have died if she would have gone the traditional medical route for the infection. Diabetics especially should not mess around with infections.

I am all for trying to heal naturally, but if I were diagnosed with cancer, I would do everything the oncologist recommended, I don't care how awful or toxic.

Personally, I've known more people who beat cancer with alternative methods, and they felt terrific while going through the treatments. Changing how they ate was hard, and following the protocols was hard, but they felt healthy and strong during the treatments and afterward.

Every.Single.Person I have known with cancer that went the traditional route has had a miserable existence during treatment, and then they still died. So, let the cancer patient decide which route they want to go and they will either live or die with the results. But, honor their choice. It's theirs to make.

This has been my experience also.

I saw this documentary on TV a few years ago and it was very uplifting

http://www.crazysexycancer.com/ The woman is still alive. I don't know much about her type of cancer. She went macrobiotic I think.

I also heard a radio show with Suzanne Somers touting a book about alternative cancer treatments. She wasn't the interesting one. It was the doctors that she writes about that were interesting. http://www.amazon.com/Knockout-Interviews-Doctors-Cancer---Prevent/dp/0307587592/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1329647316&sr=1-4

Personally, I would employ modern medical solutions, with an alternative diet chaser. Medical science has advanced so much even in the last few years. My husband is a cancer survivor of testicular cancer, my SIL had uterine cancer. A friend of mine has Breast Cancer but her prognosis is very good as they know that her cancer can probably be cured by removing her ovaries to inhibit Estrogen production. This find is a new advancement in cancer. In another five years, I suspect it will even be better.

I have lots and lots of info for cancer. Mostly for prevention, but I know that if I were diagnosed, I would follow the dietary and lifestyle advice to a t, as much as possible. If anyone wants the info, I can post it. To me, you can't lose anything by following a healthy lifestyle.

I know that I would probably seek conventional and natural ... I guess.

Someone here mentioned the Moss Report. I've heard of it also.

Here are some of my notes.

IF YOU HAVE CANCER

Don’t make snap decisions. Take your time to look at your situation and talk it over with your doctor who will be your primary physician. Don’t rush into any treatment, as tempting as it may be. There’s usually enough time to evaluate one’s condition and start making some decisions. It’s not a time to panic or rush into the first, second, or third therapy that sounds good.

Occasionally, a cancer is aggressive. In this case, decisions need to be made quickly and treatment should begin immediately. That’s rare. Usually, there’s time to step back, take some deep breaths, and begin to do some research and better understand your specific condition.

Ralph Moss, one of the most highly regarded cancer treatment researchers, writes the Moss Reports and numerous books on alternative cancer therapies. He’s constantly following up on new research and updating his data base and reports

For about $300, he sends you a lengthy report on treatment for your specific diagnosis. He includes scientific studies that back up his reports. The fee includes follow-up sessions and you can use the service indefinitely.

CANHELP can also help you get a different view of your condition and options.

This report is more expensive than the Moss one above. Opt for the less expensive option if you do go with this. The fee includes one year’s worth of personalized phone consultations. You get a lot of personal attention and info for your money.

You’re paying for expert recommendations and evaluation – your report is tailored to your diagnosis, age, history, stage of cancer, and any complicating factors. It also will give you info on fad cures and scams.

Cancer needs sugar to thrive.

Also, a lack of oxygen and deep breathing can lead to cancer. Cancer flourishes in the absence of oxygen. If you introduce plenty of oxygen into your cells, you will reverse the growth of cancer by suffocating the tumor. Oxygen therapy is a good alternative method worth looking into. It’s a standard practice in many of the alternative clinics that specialize in cancer treatment. When you withhold sugar and flood the tissues with oxygen, you will starve or suffocate the cancer. Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT) is one way of flooding your tissues with oxygen.

Good HBOT chambers are expensive. Make sure any doctor you see for this therapy is well versed in its application for cancer.

It’s important to always take good quantities of any antioxidants if you’re using any oxygen therapies.

Acupuncture has demonstrated benefit to cancer patients in the following areas:

Pain Management: Acupuncture is very effective for managing pain related to tumors, surgery, chemotherapy, radiation and inflammation.

Immune System Modulation: Acupuncture increases blood cell production and enhances Natural Killer Cells and Lymphocytes which leads to increased immune response and decreased risk of infection.

Inflammation: Acupuncture reduces the pain and swelling related to inflammation.

Nausea and Vomiting: Acupuncture has been shown to reduce the intensity and frequency of nausea and vomiting in cancer patients receiving chemotherapy.

Dry, Painful Mouth and Throat: Acupuncture has been shown to decrease these side effects allowing the patient to be able to swallow, eat and drink normally, protect the health of the teeth and gums and reduce the incidence of infections, pain and swelling in the mouth and throat during radiation therapy.

Sleep: Cancer patients suffer sleep disruption and insomnia due to post-surgical discomfort, anxiety and depression and physical pain. By relieving these symptoms the cancer patient is able to get the deep sleep and rest required for recovery and healing. Quality of Life: Eugene Mak, MD, a board certified oncologist states that acupuncture " can also add to the patients' sense of well being and decrease the malaise associated with any chronic disease, especially cancer....and imparts a sense of well being and accelerates patients' recovery."

Acupuncture is recommended to cancer patients at the Mayo Clinic and at the Dana Farber Cancer Institute in Boston. Today, many oncologists refer their patients for acupuncture treatment to manage cancer symptoms and cancer treatment related symptoms. Many cancer treatment centers now have Licensed Acupuncturists on staff to help patients manage the many challenges of the cancer journey.

To find a qualified acupuncturist http://www.acufinder.com

Reach out to at least two friends for support (logistical and emotional) during times of stress, even if it's through the internet. But if they're within arms reach, go ahead and hug them, often!

Evidence now shows that many small tumors of cancer cells are perfectly well contained by our body’s natural defenses and often even disappear on their own. Cancer is not a one-way street. Small tumors may appear, grow a bit, and go away.

What this means is that life-style factors that weaken or strengthen such natural defenses may play a major role in whether early tumors develop – or not – into a dangerous disease.

BOOKS

The Anti-Cancer Book is the best, by far - the author, a physician, was given a very short time to live. By following natural and regular methods, he lived for about 20 years more than expected.

The Cancer Survivor’s Nutrition and Health Guide by Gene Spiller

Alkalize or Die

You Can Conquer Cancer by Ian Gawler – amazing story recommended by Dr. David Servan Schreiber

The pH Miracle

D-Glucarage: A Nutrient Against Cancer by Dr. Thomas Slaga

The Grape Cure by Johanna Brandt

Questioning Chemotherapy by Ralph Moss – an excellent book that serves as an excellent companion to your doctor’s suggestions

Herbs against Cancer by Ralph Moss is a wonderful book to read instead of running off and trying every herbal therapy you hear about

I just remembered that my friend's mom was diagnosed with (I don't know what stage) bre@st cancer over 20 or so years ago. She refused chemo, etc. Went all-natural. Don't know the details. But I do know that she has been cancer-free and is living a very healthy life. She tests her pH daily - every single morning. Cancer cannot thrive in a neutral or alkaline environment. She also lymphasizes daily - dry body brushing, rebounding, etc. That's what's worked for her.

A lady that studied the Bible with me was diagnosed with ovarian, breast and thyroid cancer all at the same time. Her MD told her to get things in order for her death. This was about 11 years ago. She has been cancer free for a long time now. She went to a doctor who used electrodermal scan to find problems and recommend treatments.

I went to that same doctor and my heart problems and fatigue were in remission for years after that.

A lady that studied the Bible with me was diagnosed with ovarian, breast and thyroid cancer all at the same time. Her MD told her to get things in order for her death. This was about 11 years ago. She has been cancer free for a long time now. She went to a doctor who used electrodermal scan to find problems and recommend treatments.

I went to that same doctor and my heart problems and fatigue were in remission for years after that.

I've heard of this and my good friend raves about it. I've always been skeptical. But now, I'm very interested.

We had a neighbor once, over 10 years ago, who was diagnosed with breast cancer. The hospital in Bryan, TX told her it was the "aggressive type". She was in her mid 40's then, I think. She decided on no medical treatment, since they told her she'd probably not live a full year even after chemo.

She totally changed her diet, sold her house, and traveled in an RV for a year, then bought a small house. Still alive and in good health today. Sometimes I wonder what happened. I do not believe God gives/takes diseases away, so either her plan worked or else the hospital totally misdiagnosed her.

I love stories like this. I love people like her. What an amazing story. :) I mean, heck, if they told me I only had a year to live even after chemo, my attitude would likely be, "Why bother going through chemo?"

Every.Single.Person I have known with cancer that went the traditional route has had a miserable existence during treatment, and then they still died. I know others have different experiences, but this is what I, personally, have seen in my 52 years of life.

Indeed, I know several breast cancer and even ovarian cancer survivors and even TWO lung cancer survivors. Meat and potatoes people all of them.

To the OP, this is such a big and important issue, I encourage you to go with large stats, not our stories. :grouphug:

I tried to treat my ulcerative colitis by consulting a nutritionist and taking his advice. I got much worse and lost 40 lbs.

Then I went to a doctor who uses the electrodermal scan and was symptom free after a couple of weeks of following the program.

So just asking about "natural methods" isn't specific enough.

I'm a nurse. One of my patients once had attempted to treat her breast cancer with natural methods. By the time she came to us, she had broken her hip with mets to her bones. The lumps in her breasts were starting to break through the skin. She was obviously a well-educated woman, two daughters in college, and suffering from a great deal of denial. She left the hospital in hospice care. She was under 50.

I finished medical school in 1990, so it's been many years, though I don't work full time.

I've seen plenty of people who beat the odds-meaning, their original tumor had a recurrence risk of 75%, say, and they did not have a recurrence. I also saw a man in the late 1980's who had a kidney cancer that spontaneously regressed-went away. This particular type of cancer sometimes (rarely, unfortunately) does that.

What I honestly can say I've seen is that the known patterns of growth and spread of cancer are real and believable. We know what will happen in populations, but not in individuals. So if someone has a metastatic cancer, meaning, stage 4, spread distantly from the original site, it is not curable, period. Having some time, perhaps even a few years, is possible sometimes. But what is known, in my experience, is accurate. I have never seen a person with a real, biopsy-confirmed cancer, have it simply disappear.

Yes, I do. A friend's mother.

For years she ate specifically because of it. Juiced regularly, ate organically, low fat, no sugar, etc. Then one day she came to my great-grandma's funeral & was eating "normal". The cancer came back & she passed away, all though I should add that while it did come back it was many years after that funeral.

I know someone who has breast cancer and has been fighting it with natural methods only (diet, exercise, etc...), no surgery, chemo or radiation. The cancer has spread significantly in the 5 years or so since she was diagnosed, but she thinks she's making progress. I think she and her husband are in denial. She has recently been told she probably has a few months to live, but again, denial. I think her methods would be great along with traditional medicine, to make her body stronger because of the toll chemo & radiation take. It's too late for her to try now.

She could have chosen the traditional treatment and died very quickly also. I get a local newspaper and every single week, there are dozens of obits for young women, thanking the doctors and nurses at such-and-such cancer center for their care and treatment.

Some of them died very quickly.

This is really each person's call. It's a crapshoot.