Menu

Teaching Textbooks not good for engineer? What can I use?

My 7th grader has been using TT and is in Pre-algebra this year. He is pretty sure he wants to be an engineer so I think I am going to switch him to a more rigorous curriculum for Algebra 1.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to use

1. to bring him up to par so he can jump into a rigorous Algebra 1 program

and

2. which Algebra 1 curr will be the LEAST teacher intensive and still be challenging?

Thanks so much.

Tiffany

My guys have done extremely well with TT. I think it provides a superb foundation for both mathy and non-mathy students (I have two mathy and one non-mathy). For students wanting more, TT tends to be a good base to ensure they have the foundation, then add a text with more in depth problems such as Lial's.

Using just TT with only a little supplementing in a couple of areas for Pre-Calc, my two older sons went straight into Calc and have had no problems at all (getting As). Their college placement test agreed that they belonged in Calc. Middle son scored the highest his cc adviser had seen.

TT gets a bad rap, but I've only heard about it on here. Those I know whose students have used it (assuming it was a good fit - it's not always) praise it and their kids have done well.

Saxon goes through Calculus I and II. It's also something the student learns on their own, whether from reading the lesson in the text and working the sample problems, or from watching a DVD and working the sample problems. Unless they need specific help with something, the only thing the parent is needed for is to check over the lesson with the student and ask them to re-do the problems they got wrong until they get them right - or at least that's what we do. Saxon prepares extremely well for engineering. :)

If he wants really rigorous: Art of Problem Solving.

The books are written to the student and intended for use without a teacher. The series goes through calculus, with additional topics covered that are outside the standard sequence.

A great program, but only for a student who loves math, is excited about it, good at it, and willing to work above and beyond the requirements of a standard curriculum.

Here's my non-mathy, DD15's sequence:

8th TT Alg 1 and most of TT Alg 2 (we're calling this Alg 1)

9th TT Geometry (doing this now - almost done)

10th Foerster Algebra 2 & Trigonometry w/ Math Without Borders

11th TT Pre-calc (or CC dual credit)

DD15 scored in 90% on PSAT compared to her peers with virtually no geometry yet. I'd say she was well prepared for the algebra portion of the test.

So if TT is working for you and you want to stick with it, as Creekland says, it should lay a good foundation for more rigorous math later.

Chalk Dust is a rigorous curriculum. If you purchase the program from them, it comes with support. Your child can ask a real person questions.

I haven't used TT, so I can't comment.

AoPS might be teaching-intensive unless the child is super-motivated. Most kids eventually get stuck on something. You need would a go-to person waiting in the wings at some point. Is there anyone who can help your child when he gets stuck - even on a once-a-month basis? Most kids need some kind of live-feedback in math at some point.

If you have no one, I would recommend the Chalk Dust program. Email/phone support is better than no support at all.

Peace,

Janice

Peace,

Janice

Guest twinsandonemore

I also agree with the Chalkdust recommendation. My oldest two are in 6th grade and we're using Chalkdust this year and are very pleased. We've used TT for the past two years, but I recently switched for similar reasons.

I actually did Saxon in high school and went on to major in engineering. Saxon prepared me very well. However, my sons do better with a DVD approach so I chose Chalkdust for them. I looked at the DVD options for Saxon before buying, but the Chalkdust teacher is EXCELLENT and that's what won me over :)

Good luck!

I also agree with the Chalkdust recommendation. My oldest two are in 6th grade and we're using Chalkdust this year and are very pleased. We've used TT for the past two years, but I recently switched for similar reasons.

I actually did Saxon in high school and went on to major in engineering. Saxon prepared me very well. However, my sons do better with a DVD approach so I chose Chalkdust for them. I looked at the DVD options for Saxon before buying, but the Chalkdust teacher is EXCELLENT and that's what won me over :)

Good luck!

Are you familiar with the teachers in the VideoText DVDs to coma pre for me? Ds is having some complaints about VT (not many), but we are supplementing with Foerster's and a word problem book. Thanks!

In my research for a thorough math program I have heard the same thing about saxon form some people and it seems to be a big debate among engineers. I am under the impression that with saxon you either hate it or love it. I believe it all depends on the person. My second ds is a saxon user, he needs the repetition and like things broken down. He likes his math cut and dry and wants to know how to do it. He neeeds to see the steps and doesn't like to assume anything in math.

My oldest ds likes TT, he doesn't like the tedious break down and he feels saxon has more technical jargon than TT.

I have never used chalk dust, but have heard that it is a rigorous curriculum, unfortunately I have no experience. Hopefully someone else can chime in to see how their math is set up.

Edited by blueberrywoods
I thought I double posted sorry

Saxon prepares extremely well for engineering. :)

In my research for a thorough math program I have heard the same thing about saxon form some people and it seems to be a big debate among engineers. I am under the impression that with saxon you either hate it or love it. I believe it all depends on the person. My second ds is a saxon user, he needs the repetition and like things broken down. He likes his math cut and dry and wants to know how to do it. He neeeds to see the steps and doesn't like to assume anything in math.

My oldest ds likes TT, he doesn't like the tedious break down and he feels saxon has more technical jargon than TT.

I have never used chalk dust, but have heard that it is a rigorous curriculum, unfortunately I have no experience. Hopefully someone else can chime in to see how their math is set up.

What's interesting is that while Saxon does teach how to do things, many don't realize how much the student needs to figure out some things on their own. The texts are specifically designed to teach the basic concepts, and then the "review" questions in the following lessons will take that concept and add a new twist. The student hasn't been taught specifically how to solve that problem, but needs to take what they've learned and apply it to the more complex problem. This has been true of all the texts, but even more so in the higher levels. This is why so many of us say it's important not to skip any of the problems in the texts as there's more to be learned than just what's in the lessons. :)

Guest twinsandonemore
Are you familiar with the teachers in the VideoText DVDs to coma pre for me? Ds is having some complaints about VT (not many), but we are supplementing with Foerster's and a word problem book. Thanks!

No, I'm not. Sorry! Wish I could help more.