Menu

anyone else with a 2e child only seeing one e...

anyone else have a 2 E child and they ONLY 'see' the SN aspect. My son's IQ is, according to the PhD that tested him "scary high" buttttt trust me you'd never know .... sigh so tired of knowing he is smart but living with a highly emotionally, anxious typical 6 yo who is always moving, and who doesn't care for school at all.

I've never really seen DS as SNs, but have seen a teacher or two that I felt was SNs....I read a book called Magic Trees of the Mind when my son was very young. The book stressed providing children with an enriched environment. DH and I always strove to do that by making every effort to help DS pursue his interests. We did these things long before we knew our son was gifted with a reading/HW'ing/maths disorder.

We have always purchased books that DS expressed an interest in. By age 6, DS loved listening to audio book adaptations of The Hobbit and The Chronicles of Narnia. DS prefers mostly non-fiction books.

I was raised by my mother and have two sisters. With a boy, I have pursued every passion that was at one time, boys only. DS has his own tool set that would rival any adults. We have a telescope and were into astronomy for awhile. My house is loaded with airplane models, sports trading cards, Legos, wooden blocks, and trains.

I've learned over the past few years that my son is entirely capable of learning, with the right instruction that appeals to his learning style and appropriate pacing. You are very fortunate to get a diagnosis so early.

I just want to point out that a gifted six year old is still a six year old. If the second "e" that you're not seeing puts him several years above his chronological age, it might not look all that impressive to an adult. If you tends to be skilled in similar areas, you might not realize how advanced he is for his age.

edit to answer your original question: my son doesn't have a formal 2e diagnosis, but I suspect it. Yet...I get so focussed on remediating his struggles, that sometimes I miss out on his talents. And sometimes his struggles affect his talents. He went from scoring at the 99th percent in math concepts down to a little above average once the standardized tests expected him to read the questions. He's dyslexic.

Edited by merry gardens

Does he play with blocks/legos/etc? That's where we ALWAYS see the gifted side of our dd.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Youngest DD is not very verbal yet so the main way we know that she is likely 2E is in things like doing puzzles, building with Duplos, and stacking blocks. The OT who did the IEP assessment said that she had never seen a child DD's age be able to stack a block tower 14 blocks high. Heck, I'm not confident that *I* would be able to quickly build one that high without it toppling over :lol:

Yeah, us too. Every therapist who has worked with ds has suggested he is 2E and he definitely appeared that way early on because of his extrapolations and ability to make unseen connections between very abstract concepts, but the more we get into school, the more grade level average he looks. I can only guess that it is the LDs that are making him appear this way.

The exception is in building and/or spatially - he can finish 2D blueprints in 3D that Lego designers have left incomplete, or build a motorized working lego design from unknown sources in his head.

I think that is how kids like these get overlooked in the public school system. The special needs can overshadow the gifts. If educators do not have an insight as to the ability of the child, or the unique gifts that the child possesses, the child may just be seen as a problem. I can vouch, though, that my daughters were both very active and emotional at 6...really tough age for a 2E kid in my opinion.

anyone else have a 2 E child and they ONLY 'see' the SN aspect. My son's IQ is, according to the PhD that tested him "scary high" buttttt trust me you'd never know .... sigh so tired of knowing he is smart but living with a highly emotionally, anxious typical 6 yo who is always moving, and who doesn't care for school at all.

My 10yo is we suspect 2e... That is we have a whole bunch of dx's for his SNs. He was dxed at age 5 with SPD, ADHD- combined, and Developmental Delays. We had him reevaluated last year at age 9 and they added PDD-NOS with a possible Dysgraphia. They also did IQ testing and the Kindergarten readiness test. His IQ test suggested that he was on the high end of mental retardation but the readiness test showed him being at the level of the average 2nd grader.

At age 6 we saw a lot more of the SN traits then the gifted traits...some of the gifted things that we were seeing we didn't recognize as being advanced thanks to his pg older brother. As he has grown older I can recognize a lot more of his gifts.

Giving accommodation for his week areas when working at higher levels has helped. Such as being his scribe in math and science work. It has helped ds to advance in his knowledge base without holding him back because of the higher writing requirements.

As we addressed some of the SN we began to see the gifted stuff surface.

Giving accommodation for his weak areas when working at higher levels has helped. Such as being his scribe in math and science work. It has helped ds to advance in his knowledge base without holding him back because of the higher writing requirements.

As we addressed some of the SN we began to see the gifted stuff surface.

:iagree:

I think that is how kids like these get overlooked in the public school system. The special needs can overshadow the gifts. If educators do not have an insight as to the ability of the child, or the unique gifts that the child possesses, the child may just be seen as a problem.

:iagree:

I agree with PPs: Be patient, and just do what you can for the SNs. The gifted stuff will start to surface.

Edited by Element

I suspect 2e for my son. He's advanced in the area of electronics/robotics

but was delayed reader until OG intervention, can't write a short original sentence or get much past 1st grade math at 10yo. He has ADHD w/anxiety and ODD as well. The meltdowns have decreased due to medication, but still occur if he gets frustrated. He's very quirky and difficult to manage. I'm going to talk to his ped about a referral to a neuropsych. I think he may have NLD. The challenges far exceed the joy...and I feel so sad/guilty about that. I worry about his future.

Sorry for being a Debbie Downer, wahwahwaahhh....

Edited by Geo

i hope right now i am dragging him though kindy / 1st grade stuff he should be flying though -- cuz he just doesn't "get into it" anbd argues as much as works

He is still very young. Especially with a boy, he just may need more time to mature. My DS is the same age and with him, it's like a stair-step progression. He'll be at one level for a while and then BOOM something "clicks" and he jumps to a new level. It's frustrating when he's been "stuck" at a given level for a while. However, it seems like every time I get ready to break out the "big guns" like ordering Lindamood-Bell or what have you, shortly thereafter he makes a leap.

That's another thing that I see in me-I spent so much mental energy for years on controlling my motor skills in speech and in movement that, basically, I didn't have a lot left to demonstrate that I was gifted-until you gave me a written test. (I had a professor in college comment that he'd assumed, based on verbal responses, that I wasn't getting anything in class, until the first essay question.) I also, was accused of cheating at one point in high school because a teacher thought my response to an essay question was "too good", and when quizzed on it, I got flustered and literally had trouble verbally responding with a question. Fortunately, I had classmates who had been in classes with me since elementary school who KNEW that I couldn't talk when I got upset and one of them went to the special ed suite and told them what was going on. Between the OT and the SLP, that poor teacher didn't know what had hit him.

I suspect that at age 6, I probably had a lot of people scratching their heads trying to figure out how the heck I'd gotten such a high IQ score-because until I learned to type, I wasn't particularly able to express myself in writing, either.

i am hanging my hopes on age and gender at this point. It is not so much that he can't "do school" is that he doesn't care -- he is not 'flying though' anything, he is not 'amazing in his wealth of knowledge about_____" ... he seems to be just a highly emotional, anxious, confrontational 6 yo boy that does not transition well and has no willingness to sit or try to read or do more than momma drags him though each day.

here is hopeing some level of maturity kicks in soon, for my sake

I suspect 2e for my son. He's advanced in the area of electronics/robotics

but was delayed reader until OG intervention, can't write a short original sentence or get much past 1st grade math at 10yo. He has ADHD w/anxiety and ODD as well. The meltdowns have decreased due to medication, but still occur if he gets frustrated. He's very quirky and difficult to manage. I'm going to talk to his ped about a referral to a neuropsych. I think he may have NLD. The challenges far exceed the joy...and I feel so sad/guilty about that. I worry about his future.

Sorry for being a Debbie Downer, wahwahwaahhh....

:grouphug: Just hugs. You're doing a great job. Hang in there!!!!

That's another thing that I see in me-I spent so much mental energy for years on controlling my motor skills in speech and in movement that, basically, I didn't have a lot left to demonstrate that I was gifted-until you gave me a written test. (I had a professor in college comment that he'd assumed, based on verbal responses, that I wasn't getting anything in class, until the first essay question.) I also, was accused of cheating at one point in high school because a teacher thought my response to an essay question was "too good", and when quizzed on it, I got flustered and literally had trouble verbally responding with a question. Fortunately, I had classmates who had been in classes with me since elementary school who KNEW that I couldn't talk when I got upset and one of them went to the special ed suite and told them what was going on. Between the OT and the SLP, that poor teacher didn't know what had hit him.

I suspect that at age 6, I probably had a lot of people scratching their heads trying to figure out how the heck I'd gotten such a high IQ score-because until I learned to type, I wasn't particularly able to express myself in writing, either.

Thank you for sharing. :grouphug:

For my own sake as well as my DS', I have pretty much adopted methods of teaching that allow him to enjoy the process. On very rare occasions I still require something that he considers torturous, like hand-writing. DS would rather do no school, of course, but by making the activity less upsetting to him we are at a place where he will at least cooperate with me.

We are focussed now on successful acquisition of knowledge much moreseo than the successful output of information. ;)

I suspect it is probably a lot to do with his age and gender. One thing that is always helpful for my DS is plenty of time to exercise, short breaks when he needs them, and fidgets for when we're working. And he's 13. (When he was six and in ps, the absolute worst thing that could happen was losing recess.) :001_smile:

In elementary school, he did qualify for TD (our system's gifted program). But for the most part, he seemed pretty average in class. We didn't find out he was 2E until 5th grade, and I think perhaps the gifted vs. LDs were averaging out before middle school.

Since we started homeschooling, we've had to backtrack on lots of things he didn't learn in ps. So a lot of the time at home, we've been seeing the LDs more than the giftedness. But then he goes off to theater class and wows the teacher. So I'm hoping that as we build a better foundation for his learning, he'll be able to shine more.

• 3 weeks later...