Menu

I want a spiral and incremental math that is secular. Is Saxon the only option?

Enough

After spending a year with SM, DS has been soaring with CLE for the past few months and it is obvious that even though he liked SM, he needs *constant* / *daily* review and an *incremental* progression into new skills. (I know that it is possible to "spiralize" SM- and yes, I've tried it and it freaking KILLED ME- but I'd rather use a curriculum that doesn't require this much tweaking on my part.)

In spite of his success with CLE, I would really prefer a completely secular curriculum. Some of the religious references in CLE are more than I can bear. :tongue_smilie:

We've also tried MM and it did not have enough teaching OR review for DS.

What are other options for a super-spiral, incremental math program that is secular? Is Saxon it?

I can't verify these because I've never used them, but this question has been asked before and people mentioned the following:

McRuffy

Horizons (christian publisher, but supposedly math didn't have religion in it)

RightStart is secular, but on their website, they say the program is mastery and spiral.

Saxon of course

I hope you find something that works out for you!

Brenda

May I ask what age range or level he is at? I don't have any brilliant ideas, but it may help someone else think of a good solution for you.

OOPS! That would be helpful, wouldn't it? :lol:

He is 9 1/2 years old, 2nd-4th grade range in math. He was doing 2A SM and 3A MM last year (never struggled with DOING the work but did struggle with REMEMBERING it later), then when I discovered the depths of his vanished memory :tongue_smilie:we went back to CLE 200 and he'll be done with this unit in a week or two. So he's probably solidly ready for 3rd grade math, thereabouts.

Horizons is nice. The only Christian content I remember is in the first 2 pages of the 1st grade book (one has you counting crosses, and another page has the idea that God created the world in ordinal numbers...first day, second day, etc.) We have done first and second grade and that is all I remember, and it was easily skippable.

http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mepres/primary/

MEP math. It is spiral, meaty, very strong program. It has free student pages and free teacher plans(which are an essential part of the program).

I started my 9 1/2 year old on MEP 1B. She struggles with math. She is now in 4A (2 years 2 months later). She has learned so much. Occasionally we hit spots that go quickly because she had previously done math through "3rd grade". I started my very bright K student on 1A and an average 3rd grader on 1B. It has been not only a challenge for the very bright, but also a huge help to the stuggler and average child.

The christian content in Horizons math can be easily skipped. Meaning it is so minimal that it's hardly noticed. The biggest one I remember is the ordinal numbers with the days of creation in first grade. We have done K, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and are getting ready to start 4th. None of those have anything that you wouldn't be able to just overlook. It is the best spiral program I have seen. A beka is a close second in my opinion... but the christian conent in that one is everywhere :) Good for some and not for others.

http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mepres/primary/

MEP math. It is spiral, meaty, very strong program. It has free student pages and free teacher plans(which are an essential part of the program).

I started my 9 1/2 year old on MEP 1B. She struggles with math. She is now in 4A (2 years 2 months later). She has learned so much. Occasionally we hit spots that go quickly because she had previously done math through "3rd grade". I started my very bright K student on 1A and an average 3rd grader on 1B. It has been not only a challenge for the very bright, but also a huge help to the stuggler and average child.

Wow, never considered MEP because I thought it was too late for us to start. Did she do all the lessons, or did you skip what she already knew? :bigear:

We have done almost everything. There have been lessons in which I skipped a few of the teacher led material(normally an essential part or you miss the meat of this program) and some days where we skipped some problems. Normally we have done it all.

There are difficult things throughout though, so I never skip sections, just individual teacher led problems or student problems that she shows she has solid. As you say "It's not a race". I'll be thrilled with her to be ready for Alg 1 in 9th grade and I think she'll be ready after MEP6. We are going to work through the summer to finish 4. She'll be 7th grade next year. She really struggles so you may find that you can move much faster than we have in spots, but I guarantee there will be challenges, too even on pages with some easy material!

We have done almost everything. There have been lessons in which I skipped a few of the teacher led material(normally an essential part or you miss the meat of this program) and some days where we skipped some problems. Normally we have done it all.

There are difficult things throughout though, so I never skip sections, just individual teacher led problems or student problems that she shows she has solid. As you say "It's not a race". I'll be thrilled with her to be ready for Alg 1 in 9th grade and I think she'll be ready after MEP6. We are going to work through the summer to finish 4. She'll be 7th grade next year. She really struggles so you may find that you can move much faster than we have in spots, but I guarantee there will be challenges, too even on pages with some easy material!

This is very, very exciting to hear. :)

I thought I would have to cobble together Saxon and SM IP/CWP or choose between conceptual AND super-spiral/incremental... it would be really cool to have both in one curriculum, already done for me. Thank you for the details!!