Menu

s/o -Tools for EF and Processing Speed - GAMES!

funnygirl

One l Michelle made the following EXCELLENT suggestion on another thread regarding tools for improving EF and processing speed:

Playing games more often, for example, 10 Days in the USA works on organizing and planning skills, Set works on visual perception, quick recognition, and deduction, Pictureka hits visual skills and speed, Ravensburger's Labrynth works cause and effect and planning. Many games have education and theraputic value, these are just some examples. We play games daily here.

I LOVE the idea of incorporating games into our daily learning activites. What games do you use to improve Executive Function, processing speed, etc?

Thanks!!

We've been on a puzzle binge lately instead of games. She's finally doing 300 piece puzzles on her own. She groans at the idea of games now. They're just hard. Guess I ought to back up and try again. I just didn't realize, when I started playing them with her, how HARD some of them would be.

I get a lot of games at the thrift store. Whackamole is big around here. Yup, I'll have to ponder this some more. I have some saved up we haven't tried yet ($3 to $5 finds at the thrift store). At one point we were playing a lot of mystery games (Clue, etc.). Some that I thought she'd like (Othello, etc.) she didn't.

My kids like pictionary quite a bit. We only have the Disney version, I keep meaning to buy the original one as well. One that I found useful was monopoly. It helped my YDS identify different denominations of money and it helped the older ones with making change (dh and I would give them, say, $30 for a $24 rent) as well as teaching them to strategize. We also played Lego Minotaurs for a while. It was fast paced, a must with YDS, and helped them learn to problem solve, anticipate others moves, and deal with setbacks. I just bought apples to apples jr as their valentines gift. From what I've heard it will help them learn to think creatively and hopefully learn to plead their case without whining lol. I just wish YDS would focus on a game. If it is one that takes turns, he will wander off when his turn is done rather than sit through other people's turns. Two player works best for him, I keep trying him on others in hopes that one day it will take.

ooking through SN catalogs and seeing what games they used and the description of them. Searching Amazon by skill and seeing what toys and games popped up.

Along these lines, when looking at that "Hand full of coins" game on pro therapy I saw the game "Sherlock" (memory) which is currently in our "get rid of pile":lol: - guess I'll have to pull it out and see if I can get DD to play it :tongue_smilie: (things get put in the get rid of pile when NO ONE picks them on game night for an extended period ). We have a couple other memory games that are more fun IMO but that one does require you to remember a the location of a series of cards in order rather than just one card's location.

A game that might be good for processing speed is Blink - they used that for a fun reward at DD's VT appts. We also have Spot it and Set which are similar in that speed is a factor. All 3 are also good for visual processing.

Also there is a site called boardgamegeek which rates various games (based on user vote). You can search on Category (so "real time" would be what I call speed above - where everyone plays at the same time) or Mechanic (memory is under here). The categories are what they came up with as gamers though so they don't necessarily match what would be interesting to someone looking for SN purposes.

I'm new here, but thought I'd chime in...

My odd goes to a educational therapist 2-3 times/wk and she rewards the kids with game time. The kids love them, but they all have a purpose. Here's a few of my daughter's favorites:

-Slamwich

-Sleeping Queens

-Rat A Tat Cat

-Maya Madness

-Look Look (board game)

-Tens Game (board game, I found on Educator's Outlet)

HTH!

ETA: I forgot her favorite! Puzzellations (magnetic tessellations)

Edited by crazyfordlr