Menu

Update on Dentist and my dd's "mouth full of cavities"

If any of you recall, pediatric dentist said dd14 had at least 8 cavities, the estimate was $2600 and I was considering taking her to my dentist. I took her. For starters, he was so dear towards her. Now, I do consider our pediatric dentist to be a very gentle and kind man, so I didn't expect it, but she even said she liked him a lot more than Dr. D.

He did additional x-rays and also asked for prior records from Dr. D. He did not completely refute what the previous dentist said, but he said most of what he sees are several "incipiancies." (sp?) Little holes that could become a cavity; if you wanted to be aggressive about it, you could repair them all. He is conservative and does not recommend that.

He sees one "definite" and another "possible" cavity to fill and he recommends sealant repair on two molars that have these little dings in them.

I am very happy (obviously) with this new appraisal. I'm still pretty :confused: about my pediatric dentist's thinking.

If any of you recall, pediatric dentist said dd14 had at least 8 cavities, the estimate was $2600 and I was considering taking her to my dentist. I took her. For starters, he was so dear towards her. Now, I do consider our pediatric dentist to be a very gentle and kind man, so I didn't expect it, but she even said she liked him a lot more than Dr. D.

He did additional x-rays and also asked for prior records from Dr. D. He did not completely refute what the previous dentist said, but he said most of what he sees are several "incipiancies." (sp?) Little holes that could become a cavity; if you wanted to be aggressive about it, you could repair them all. He is conservative and does not recommend that.

He sees one "definite" and another "possible" cavity to fill and he recommends sealant repair on two molars that have these little dings in them.

I am very happy (obviously) with this new appraisal. I'm still pretty :confused: about my pediatric dentist's thinking.

Did you ever look into the invisalign connection?

That business of when to call a cavity a cavity is a huge gray area in dentistry. Did he suggest floride?

This has happened to us, too. :glare:...both kids at the same time. $2600 for one, and $2800 for the other. Six months later...$1500 for one, $800 for the other. I don't go there anymore. Fastforward to their last check-up...1 little cavity for one child, none for the other. Good news a little late. :glare::glare: I feel like a chump.

Edited by Geo

When my wisdom tooth was coming in (before I knew what it was) I stopped at a dentist to get looked at. He took some xrays and came back into the room telling me I had a LOT of cavities and he's going to fill them. Thankfully I'm afraid of dentists and didn't allow the work.

I went to another dentist who did more xrays, told me the problem was my wisdom teeth, and that he couldn't find a singe cavity! That was 7 years ago and I still have no cavities. I had my wisdom teeth removed the day after the 2nd dentist visit.

Last summer I took my dd(then 7) to a new dentist who was covered by our insurance, which had changed and her usual dentist was no longer covered.. They said she had a cavity and wanted to fill it and do some other stuff. I was already irritated because they would not allow me back with my dd and suspicious because she had never had a cavity before.

Took her back to her regular dentist (and paid cash) and they said, no cavity.. she looks great as usual.

I have since heard other stories about all the "cavities" this particular dentist finds. I'm very leery now.

Did the first dentist show you the x-rays by chance? Did he point out the dark grayish part that appears to have penetrated the enamel? Anyone else have this experience in the initial exam and "mouthful of cavities" ? I'm asking b/c my youngest had a recent similar dx....and I've been wondering if I should get a 2nd opinion, as you all have. Hmmm....

I have had very similar experiences. It happened to me, and my parents went along with all of it. I had never had any real trouble, and all of a sudden I had 4 root canals! When a ped dentist started the same routine with my dc, I went somewhere else. New dentist does the sealants, but never had to fix all the imminent crises the first guy found. Hmmmm...

Find another dentist.

Did the first dentist show you the x-rays by chance? Did he point out the dark grayish part that appears to have penetrated the enamel? Anyone else have this experience in the initial exam and "mouthful of cavities" ? I'm asking b/c my youngest had a recent similar dx....and I've been wondering if I should get a 2nd opinion, as you all have. Hmmm....

Yes. Get a second opinion. DH had one dentist give an estimate of over $5000 to fix one tooth. He was going to have to see a surgeon and have three separate surgeries. He went to see my dentist instead and the problem was fixed for $500. HUUUUUGE difference.

I think this is part of the reason I've been putting off going to the dentist. I haven't gone in years (I know, I know) but I am terrified not of the pain of dental work, but of the cost of all the work I expect they'll want to do. Plus I don't know how to find a dentist I can trust not to rip me off. Anyone know of a good one near Pomona, CA?

Did you ever look into the invisalign connection?

That business of when to call a cavity a cavity is a huge gray area in dentistry. Did he suggest floride?

The orthodontist told me he had never heard of any connection between Invisalign and increased cavities. My dentist also did not believe that was a particular contributing factor, but my dentist also didn't find so much trouble.

If the child had Invisalign for ortho treatment, you should expect more cavities??

Not by the dentists/orthodontists I asked.

He did. The only one I could plainly see with my own eyes is the one my dentist agrees is a definite cavity. It looks like an ice-cream-scoop dip into the tooth enamel and you can see the grey shading behind.

I do think a second opinion could not hurt if you have a child who went from no tooth trouble to extensive trouble from one check-up to the next.

• 2 weeks later...

He did. The only one I could plainly see with my own eyes is the one my dentist agrees is a definite cavity. It looks like an ice-cream-scoop dip into the tooth enamel and you can see the grey shading behind.

I do think a second opinion could not hurt if you have a child who went from no tooth trouble to extensive trouble from one check-up to the next.

Btw, thank you! Gonna do just that.

Btw, thank you! Gonna do just that.

Good. :001_smile: It never hurts. DD just had the cavity filled at my dentist. He was so wonderful towards her. The work was $186.00. Don't you think that is a little bit better than $2600.00? ;)