Menu

Is SL 6 more secular than WP QAW?

I used MOH I several years ago. It is a lot of Old Testament history, which is fine. However, if you were to secularize the content, you'd eliminate a lot of the book. Even if you wanted to use the book and cover the Old Testament material, I think you would find it lacking in coverage of other Ancient Material.

You can view the TOC here. http://www.themysteryofhistory.info/volumeI.shtml

Are you looking for an Ancients program that is all planned out?

Are you looking for an Ancients program that is all planned out?

I want daily lesson plans in a grid and a LOT of read-alouds. Yep. Notebooking or writing assignments to match would be a plus. I don't want HO; I don't want outlining and timeline-ing. Just heart-oriented family read-aloud and discussion.

Looking at the TOC, I see what you mean about it being largely biblical and lacking other content.

Sigh. I so don't want to write my own lesson plans again.

I really like CHOL's literature discussion and activity resources, but I have a heck of a time parsing the format of the lesson plans. It feels like I have to memorize and integrate them in my head or flip endlessly back from page to page, risking losing something I'm supposed to do. Also, I don't want to use SOTW again.

I want daily lesson plans in a grid and a LOT of read-alouds. Yep. Notebooking or writing assignments to match would be a plus. I don't want HO; I don't want outlining and timeline-ing. Just heart-oriented family read-aloud and discussion.

Looking at the TOC, I see what you mean about it being largely biblical and lacking other content.

Sigh. I so don't want to write my own lesson plans again.

I get it. I'm looking at writing lessons plans for next year and wondering if I'm up to the task. I know I couldn't stick with a planned curriculum, and I have specific books I want to cover. I'm know I'm going to end up doing it myself. We'll be using Spielvogel as a spine and assorted GB.

I've used Sonlight in the past and we are using WP Sea & Sky this year. I found Sonlight much easier to make secular than Winterpromise. In fact, our initial goal was not to make them secular, but WP's evangelical push has completely turned our daughter off. She discards some of the science books this year as being impossible to read.

You could easily purchase the SOTW books and the Usborne Encyclopedia and then schedule in whatever of the readers and read alouds from SL 6 that you would prefer in order to secularize it. (We actually aligned SL 6 to a textbook, you could use The Human Odyssey or the one we used which the title escapes me right now, but is a Speilvogel Middle school title by Glencoe, PM me if you want me to look up the title.) There are also many other really good books that have been listed in WTM or on the boards that could replace those you removed for religious purposes. I used Core 6 with my DD, but in the end I changed and subbed out a good number of books and added so much additional material that it didn't look like SL 6. There is so much good material out there for this age group for that time frame that it's easy to divide it into two years doing the four year rotations in history. We ended around week 26 or so and then moved to TOG, going more in depth for my oldest with some review since we started TOG at Y2. We still use a lot of SL titles, but I won't purchase from them anymore.

Guest Mile High Mama

I have used a variety of Sonlight cores secularly. Usually there are just one or two or perhaps even three books that you simply can eliminate to make the whole program secular. Just carefully read the book descriptions, and it should be obvious which ones are overtly religious.

I think a lot of the books in QAW look like fun but I will never use it because Mystery of History is the spine, and that makes it pretty much impossible to secularize. Sonlight 6, on the other hand, I own and have used in the past and it's very easy to secularize, just skip the few religious read alouds or readers. I think all there is that I can recall is Luther, The Kingdom Strikes Back, and the Bible component.

.. But yeah, MOH is generally the same for all volumes; everything relates to God’s plan and there are plenty of Bible scriptures and so forth.

I can’t really think of anything great to suggest that doesn’t use SOTW.

Beautiful Feet guides are very basic, they are pretty much read, discuss, write, some vocabulary, and cut/paste for the timeline. If you like the samples, you might find BF is much easier to secularize than WP.

Edited by lovemykids