Menu

What to expect from a Civil War Re-enactment?

If you've ever been to a Civil War Re-enactment, can you give me an idea as to what to expect? I understand that all battlefields are going to be different, but for whatever reason, I feel "unprepared." We'll be going to the Educator Day for the Battle of Olustee re-enactment next week in FL, and maybe because we'll be driving 3 hours to get there, I want to know what to expect.

What was your experience with....

Restrooms?

Food?

Merchandise for sale? Is it junky, "souvenir" type stuff, or authentic? Price range if my kids want to bring some spending money along?

Crowds?

Talking to re-enactors?

Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks!

Yes, talk to the reenactors! We have not been to full-scale battle reenactments, but we have been to smaller demonstrations, and the best part has always been talking to the reenactors. I do not know what the policy typically is on breaking character, but the ones with whom we have chatted always did. A couple of times, the women have had small crafts or activities for children, which we would never have known about if we hadn't had talkative children.

Terri

If you've ever been to a Civil War Re-enactment, can you give me an idea as to what to expect? I understand that all battlefields are going to be different, but for whatever reason, I feel "unprepared." We'll be going to the Educator Day for the Battle of Olustee re-enactment next week in FL, and maybe because we'll be driving 3 hours to get there, I want to know what to expect.

Restrooms? porta-potties plus whatever the venue normally provides (for example if it's on the ground of a museum, the normal museum restrooms)

Food? basic easy to eat/sell outdoors, not themed to the event, lots of people with picnics if the venue allows it

Merchandise for sale? Is it junky, "souvenir" type stuff, or authentic? Price range if my kids want to bring some spending money along? usually some items priced to sell to kids, often wooden swords/knives for a few dollars

also, whenever we've been there are tons of vendors who are selling to the re-enactors so they will have authentic and period items...some small items might be inexpensive (quills come to mind)

Crowds? for a well-known event on a beautiful day it can be very crowded but we've never had trouble seeing what we wanted to see

Talking to re-enactors? I've never met a re-enactor who didn't LOVE to talk to people about their passion for the time period, most often they will stay in character...this is worth mentioning to the kids if someone talks about their 'unusual' clothing or other similar things. One re-enactor I know shared a pet peeve: parents who let kids touch his display without asking...his knives and weapons are real, not plastic...don't touch without asking

Anything else I should be aware of? If this is an encampment it means that the re-enactors are camping/living/eating there. Be sure that kids obey the boundaries and do not go into random tents etc. Whenever we've been, it is clear which tents are open for demos and which areas are out-of-bounds.

Also, battles and cannon demonstrations are very loud. Battles can also be very emotional. Never goof around and call 'medic' when someone falls in battle. In my friend's unit, this was used for a real emergency.

I personally don't like the civil war doctor presentations. I'm too squeamish.

Thanks!

The above is just in our limited experience (not with the specific battle you're attending) but I hope it helps.

My experiences were similar to others. We've been to a few Civil and Revolutionary War re-enactments. The re-enactors (is that a word?) camp there for the weekend and cook their own food, camp in period campsites, etc...

Restrooms?I am sure it depends on the venue. The place where we went had public restrooms in a couple places on the grounds. There were also a few porta-potties.

Food? Basic foods like hamburgers, chili, hotdogs, snack foods, corn on the cob, etc... We usually pack a lunch to go places like that then buy ice cream or something fun for a snack.

Merchandise for sale? Is it junky, "souvenir" type stuff, or authentic? Price range if my kids want to bring some spending money along? Souvenirs tend to be some period type things, some crafts type things, toys guns and swords, period clothing, etc...

Crowds? There have been good crowds on a nice day but not so crowded that you couldn't see anything or stop to talk to the actors.

Talking to re-enactors? Yes, yes, yes...stop and talk to everyone from the "surgeons" to the "soldiers" in camp to all the people in between. They have so much knowledge about the time period and the kids learn so much from them. We enjoy sitting in camp with some soldiers and talking or asking questions from those at the different tables. Where we go to reenactments there is a historic village so people throwing pottery, printing a newspaper, smelting metal, etc... They all love to talk about their "crafts."

Anything else I should be aware of? The actual war part can be really loud if you have littles who might not like that. (We made the mistake of taking our little dog along once and it was not fun for her.)

Have fun!

Restrooms? Mostly porta-potties. One site did have restrooms inside a building as well, but the line was 4x as long, so we just used the outdoor ones.

Food? All sorts of things really, mostly period appropriate (soups, normally a pork chop booth of some sort, different kinds of meat), and some not quite period appropriate (burgers, hot dogs etc), but it really depends on the venue. We've been to a Civil War one that wasn't as accurate, as well as a war of 1812 one (Mississinewa) that was very accurate.

Merchandise for sale? Is it junky, "souvenir" type stuff, or authentic? Price range if my kids want to bring some spending money along? Mostly authentic items. The stuff for kids tended to be anywhere from $2-$15.

Crowds? Not too bad earlier in the day usually, but by lunchtime it tends to fill out quite a bit (especially if the battle is soon after). I'd definitely set up a meeting place for your kids in case you get separated.

Talking to re-enactors? Definitely! Some are more talkative than others. We've had very interesting discussions with the reenactors who are portraying doctors.

Anything else I should be aware of? Be aware of your surroundings, especially if there are horses being used. I'd recommend wearing older shoes/clothes because the areas tend to get quite muddy with all of the foot traffic

Thanks!

Hope that helps!

Open your mouths (and cover your ears) when they shoot the cannons - it helps avoid pressure in your ears, according to people at a "battle" I was at once. I've tried it ever since, and it really does seem to help. We also bring ear plugs.

At a Seven Years' War re-enactment at Fort Ti, they had interpreters walking alongside the battlefield as the various troops were marching, forming, and engaging, and it was such a nice touch. They explained everything that the troops were doing and some of the eventual ramifications their actions had. I wish every reenactment did this!

Have fun!

Eeek are you going on the "school" day. That will probably be a bit different because of the buses of kids.

but it could still be good.

did you check out their website.

http://battleofolustee.org/advice.htm

We have been to Gettysburg reenactment several times and then quite a few smaller local ones.

If you have ear plugs for the kids that might be good too. The noises can be loud.

We have had some absoulte great times and some so so times.

Try to get up close to watch the battle, the first one we went to those closest to the line had to sit on their bottoms, then the row behind could be on knees, LOVED It was the best one because so many could really see the action.

My favorite thing though was the conversation I had with General Lee, he and I were both watching from the very back of the crowd could barely see anything, SO I asked him a burning question, And he answered me with a wonderful loving tenderness for the men, he did answer my question in character but he also answered it with the knowledge of what happened. It was a lovely moment.

I also had a few reenactors who took my son in when I made a comment that I wasn't into it as much, EEEEK, but it was great, they let me take all kinds of pictures and also some odd and end relics. It was memorable.

Restrooms?

Food?

Merchandise for sale? Is it junky, "souvenir" type stuff, or authentic? Price range if my kids want to bring some spending money along?

Crowds?

Talking to re-enactors?

Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks!

We've been to Olustee...used to live about an hour away.

1. Plan to have to park along the highway...lots of traffic for the event, and you may be quite a ways away by the time you park.

2. There are bathrooms, near the merchant area, but also portapotties. Handwashing stations too.

3. One official food vendor so if you will be there all day, you may want to bring a lunch.

4. The field is a small hike from the merchant area. The battle itself was, well, boring to younger children. It was very methodical, and structured (who knew!) back then. Well, at least that battle. So it's not like a gang of solidiers out on the field, going at it. Quite loud too. Seating was hard to get if you showed up close to starting time. They had bleachers that filled fast and then lawn seeting.

5. Merchants selling alot of stuff. All pretty cool, I think they pride themselves on authentic. We didn't buy anything, so can't remember prices.