Menu

So I tried to make turnip fries...

I am not an expert but I've found the bigger ones are less bitter if you peel more deeply into them. I try to avoid the bigger ones in general if I can though.

It doesn't help with fries really, but if you boil cubed, peeled pieces of turnip in water with some cream added, it helps take some of the "bite" out of the turnip. I have never tried it but I wonder if you could boil the fry-shaped pieces for a few mins and then bake them.

Sometimes they are still bitter but I've found the above to help.

I've cooked these many times and never found them bitter... my recipe says olive oil/S&P/garlic powder, cook at 425x20 mins, then flip and cook 20 mins more. I have a note on my recipe: 'these are no good unless they are really tender.'

What do your turnips look like? Mine was from Whole Foods. It was white with a purple top, and almost as large as a grapefruit. The people who tried it raw said it burned their tongues. Dh liked the cooked fries, but he was the only one.