Menu

Dog health Question--What would make a dog do this?

For the last few days our dog has had several accidents (urination) in the house. She has been ravenously hungry (as in constantly begging for food and/or knocking over the food container to eat all of the foot in the storage underneath when she used to leave food sit in the bowl all day). And she has started tearing apart/eating odd things like plastic bags full of craft items, computer cords, beads, etc.

To me it seems like it must be health related rather than behavioral because it just started about a week ago.

Thoughts? And I plan to take her to the vet tomorrow.... I'm just wondering if anyone has had this happen.

Def. vet visit asap. Could be anything from diabetes, cushings disease,uti to many other types of health possibilities though.

It could also be behavioral but I would def. rule out medical first.

I am personally thinking medical because it started just out of the blue and there haven't been any changes around here. However, she was missing for a month and when we re-adopted her from the pound she had been spayed, wormed, chipped and re-vaccinated.

It is a painkiller. Our dog was a rare case, but it hurt her liver, and that is how she acted. Take her to the vet.

Not that we are aware of. She was missing for a month but we have had her back since the end of December.

Sometimes dogs are given painkillers after spaying. If it were just urination the first thing that I would think of is kidney stones.

You said that when you got your dog back she had lost weight. Our two dogs that have gone hungry(before I got them) are prone to more pigging out if they are worried about their food being restricted and panic if the food bowl is empty.

Our dog had similar issues when her thyroid started to go bad.

OK, good to know.

Sometimes dogs are given painkillers after spaying. If it were just urination the first thing that I would think of is kidney stones.

You said that when you got your dog back she had lost weight. Our two dogs that have gone hungry(before I got them) are prone to more pigging out if they are worried about their food being restricted and panic if the food bowl is empty.

Re: the food thing, that's a good point. She's been home for a month now though... Would it just start out of the blue like that?

I agree it is time for a vet visit. My guesses were similar to other posters - Cushings, thyroid, diabetes.

OK, thanks! I guess I never thought about a dog having a thyroid condition or diabetes.

I would think diabetes. That is what happened with my fil’s older dog. It started out with accidents and constantly looking for food, then her weight started dropping. They were convinced it was a bladder infection at first because she was always a bit of a scavenger, but then she started knocking over the garbage cans and the large bins of dog food. Our other dog was obsessed with her urine, and always had his nose to her tail. We know her sugar is high when he starts following her around constantly licking her.